Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The John Lewis TV ad

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I thought the John Lewis advert was a Bohemian Rhapsody thing this year. Or am I getting confused? Or have they done TWO?? I'd rather have Elt than Queen, though, if we MUST have either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I missing something ? Who sits there and actually WATCHES adverts ?

You have to be so damn lazy not to flick.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The JL advert (and the Iceland/Greenpeace one, which was touted as its 'Chrismas' ad) is about as 'Christmassy' as a Jehovah's house on 25th December. But people like it and good luck to JL – seems like it needs all the help it can get having seen profits drop by nearly 100%. And that's BEFORE shelling out five big ones for Elton...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thought it was quite good

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Even if they do now sell pianos, it’s not exactly a gift within reach of the common man/person, I just don’t get what they’re on about.

I got the penguin one. I got the young lad communicating with his deceased grandad up in heaven, the telescope thing etc.

But this has nothing. Other than a 4 year old getting a piano for Christmas. WTF?

I took it , rather pretentiously, to be a metaphor for any gift that inspires someone and in elton's case, it set him on the " journey" to where he is now. I suppose they could have done it with Harry Kane being given his first football boots, or Joe root his first cricket bat , or even darcy bussell her first ballet shoes.

Of course we all know it doesn't work in every case for every player of teh piano or any sport, elite versions of teh human being is extremely rare.

I think the issue with this one is around the personality as well as the message. Elton devides opinion and even on here there is the suggestion he uses it a source a window into his upcoming biopic. In this respect, maybe they are starting to be a bit more clever than warrants....certainly the Waitrose advert catches that, and of course adverts that tug at the heartstrings are memorable....of course the one last year about the dog on the trampoline was just brilliant.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Dont you mean the carefully constructed plug for Eltons biopic thats being released next year. Cynic moi.

Elton was paid £7m* for the ad, which will last him a good 18 months. So I reckon that was the main impetus for him to do it.

For that money they should have insisted he change his name to Elton John Lewis. At least it would have been mildly amusing.

*I can't remember if it cost 8 and he got 7, or cost 7 and he got 6... either way, decent wedge

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For that money they should have insisted he change his name to Elton John Lewis. At least it would have been mildly amusing.

And made his partner change his to David Home Furnishings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Not sure who I think made the biggest mistake, Reg or John Lewis.

you're both fired.

:guns:

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Am I missing something ? Who sits there and actually WATCHES adverts ?

You have to be so damn lazy not to flick.

People who flick through channels during the adverts need the remote sticking firmly where the sun doesnt shine, it absolutely does my head in. You're watching something and then someone (usually some old fart) in the room flicks over to something else and gets engrossed in whatever dross is on ITV2 and then you miss the start of the programme coming back on, aaarrrrrgh. Either that or you'll be flicking and stop on something remotely interesting for a minute that you actually get invested in and then wait oh no were off on an adventure through seventeen other channels adverts before going back to the original one. JUST LEAVE THE BLOODY REMOTE ALONE!

Rant Over :D

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
People who flick through channels during the adverts need the remote sticking firmly where the sun doesnt shine, it absolutely does my head in. You're watching something and then someone (usually some old fart) in the room flicks over to something else and gets engrossed in whatever dross is on ITV2 and then you miss the start of the programme coming back on, aaarrrrrgh. Either that or you'll be flicking and stop on something remotely interesting for a minute that you actually get invested in and then wait oh no were off on an adventure through seventeen other channels adverts before going back to the original one. JUST LEAVE THE BLOODY REMOTE ALONE!

Are you the old fart in the room?:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Mmmnah. I cannot STAND watching adverts, they absolutely bore the tits off me and/or just irrirate me. I'll usually have a cheeky little flick over to SSN to see the headlines. I've got it pretty much down to a fine art going back in time for when the programme I'm watching restarts. Of course, the pain begins when the channel(s) you flick to are also in the middle of an ad break. Normally I'll just sit there and have a little cry.

I pretty much always avoid trying Sky One, or Watch, because all they ever seem to show is ads. Ridiculous number of prolongued elongated ad breaks, absolutely UNwatchable. If I'm watching something on ITV (rare) then I'll usually record it and join the show 15-20 minutes in, so I can fast-forward the ads. That makes is more managable and, on the whole, acceptable.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Mmmnah. I cannot STAND watching adverts, they absolutely bore the tits off me and/or just irrirate me. I'll usually have a cheeky little flick over to SSN to see the headlines. I've got it pretty much down to a fine art going back in time for when the programme I'm watching restarts. Of course, the pain begins when the channel(s) you flick to are also in the middle of an ad break. Normally I'll just sit there and have a little cry.

I pretty much always avoid trying Sky One, or Watch, because all they ever seem to show is ads. Ridiculous number of prolongued elongated ad breaks, absolutely UNwatchable. If I'm watching something on ITV (rare) then I'll usually record it and join the show 15-20 minutes in, so I can fast-forward the ads. That makes is more managable and, on the whole, acceptable.

The ability to fast forward through adverts is an absolute game changer. I often wonder how Americans can bare to watch television with the amount of ad breaks in their shows. Even episodes that are only twenty minutes long, when we show them over here we remove the ad breaks but you can tell where theyre meant to be in america, id give up entirely if i had to watch that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here