Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Henrik Bjordal gone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's a winger.

OK, we don't produce "forwards" then.

Would Peter Ward have come into that category? Signed from, then non-league, Burton for £4,000(?) played in the reserves for some time, and scoring. Fred Binney was then dropped for the away game at Hereford, Wardy comes in and scores in the first minute and the rest is history.

My thoughts? It’s probably easier to develop players, especially strikers, in the lower divisions. Further up the ladder it’s a case of buying the finished product.

Ward was signed as a 20-year old in 75, and made his debut in March 76, so not exactly a BHA product. Agree with your other point though, its far, far harder for a young forward to get his shot in a PL side. But we've failed to produce one who can even do Championship, to be fair.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As long as we can survive in the top division, I think that then" second" team is irrelevant.

There are very few who are expected to make the step up and if we want to strengthen the first team we go out and buy players.

So the Finnish goalie has gone, this young lad also.

We sign a Nigerian, a reserve keeper, a Romanian. That really says it all for our second stringers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Come on people, you have a lot of this coming up, please remember one simple fact:-

The Albion is now one of 'those' clubs not one of the 72 'other' clubs.

As usual this is an over simplification written in a style that makes it impossible to tell what you really mean.

The whole point of Lancing is that we’ll eventually produce players who can play for and against “those” clubs. It’s not an overnight process though.

It’s hard to discern real quality at such young ages, due to physical development, so there’s an inevitable gamble going on. Some players, like it or not, will be brought in to the U23s to make the U23s competitive. We’ll have no intention of playing them in the first team but they’ll be there so that our real development targets don’t leave due to bad results.

If you get it right - and Southampton for one have proven you can - it can make a huge difference. But by definition it doesn’t happen overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Looked one of the most promising in the handfull of under 23 games I watched. Shame, but there really is a huge difference between slowly breaking into matchday squad in championship which he could possibly do, and getting a run out in the EPL.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
In fact I'd be happy to bet every penny I own that the entire youth team from u23 down don't play 20 games in our first team.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
In fact I'd be happy to bet every penny I own that the entire youth team from u23 down don't play 20 games in our first team.

So why bother? Bjordal's departure is very disappointing news for me. I thought he was a terrific prospect but at least we've got Sunderland 's cast off goalkeeper.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
So why bother? Bjordal's departure is very disappointing news for me. I thought he was a terrific prospect but at least we've got Sunderland 's cast off goalkeeper.
I think we've received a fee here, so if we can develop players and sell them on ( even if they don't make a first XI appearance) then it's worthwhile. If the academy can finance itself to a degree until the next Lewis Dunk comes along it's a great asset.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As usual this is an over simplification written in a style that makes it impossible to tell what you really mean.

The whole point of Lancing is that we’ll eventually produce players who can play for and against “those” clubs. It’s not an overnight process though.

It’s hard to discern real quality at such young ages, due to physical development, so there’s an inevitable gamble going on. Some players, like it or not, will be brought in to the U23s to make the U23s competitive. We’ll have no intention of playing them in the first team but they’ll be there so that our real development targets don’t leave due to bad results.

If you get it right - and Southampton for one have proven you can - it can make a huge difference. But by definition it doesn’t happen overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the comments that follow these threads around, I genuinely don't believe I've made it simple enough.

There seems to be a feeling of:-

under 23 = 1st team in waiting.

I can only assume that goes back to 'the good old days', when most of us would turn up with our boots just in case.

As you say this all takes time, the fact that none of the youngsters have been loaned to Championship clubs, let alone following the Chelsea model and loaning adequate kids poor Premier League teams says the set up is still a long way off.

Yet here we are again "well I thought player x (whom I've never seen play) was a world beater, we should keep him, the club is shite, the kids are shite, what's the point of having them, everything is shite".

Be warned GB, because next time time we get this thread, and there will be a next time, I think I'm going to have to make it even simpler for the chronically hard of thinking.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A bit of good old fashioned honest quid pro quo with his agent to oil the wheels of a Ghayas Zahid transfer ? ???

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I was surprised when we extended his contract. As I said before when he was at Gothenberg it sounded like Bjordal wanted to sign for them. He wants first team football now and we can't offer it to him. I don't think this is a case that he isn't going to be good enough, just a case of we can't give him what he wants now.

I think hes going to be creating a decent career for himself. We haven't heard the last of him I think.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was surprised when we extended his contract. As I said before when he was at Gothenberg it sounded like Bjordal wanted to sign for them. He wants first team football now and we can't offer it to him. I don't think this is a case that he isn't going to be good enough, just a case of we can't give him what he wants now.

I think hes going to be creating a decent career for himself. We haven't heard the last of him I think.
It could be that these options we take out on players are just so we can get a sell-on clause when they leave a few weeks later.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Of course you could form the view that if anyone decent comes through the lancing ranks, we would sell them to raise money for the first team.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Of course you could form the view that if anyone decent comes through the lancing ranks, we would sell them to raise money for the first team.

There is also the issue of the ''Expediency'' of Brighton's rise in the last 3 years. I don't think even anyone at the club expected the rise to be that quick and with that then the younger players need to progress even quicker. In just under 4 years the club has gone from being near the bottom of the Championship to almost mid table PL. That's a big step for youngsters to keep up with. We are playing at the table with the ''Big Boys'' now so the younger players need to progress quicker or they won't make the grade.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Something that Barcelona seem to write into a players contract is a buy-back option and a figure agreed.

I have no problem with players like Bjordal or even Goldson moving on to get some game time but a 2 year option to buy back at double the price we sell them for must be a sensible clause to have in the contract so we can still benefit from having invested in them for such a long time and with them possibly having the ability given the game time

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He was a good young player, but come on he's absolutely miles behind the likes of Knockaert, Izzy and Solly and that's before we add another wide player. He never had what I call a trick, just a big strong winger.

Clearly the club feels he was never going to quite make it to the level we require.

Gyokeres has a much much better chance

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here