Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Lord Bracknell

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Today is a sad day.

Today we say goodbye to our fine friend Ed Bassford.

A kind, intelligent, generous, funny man with many stories, and for whom all Brighton & Hove Albion should be so grateful. His knowledge, wisdom and tenacity through the most trying times of the club's history should never be under-estimated, and we have so much to thank him for.

But more than that, he was a fine friend, happy to come around any time the barbecue was fired up, when the Harvey's was in full flow, when a wine bottle was opened or when the old year turned into the new.

Thank you Ed for the company, for the debates, for the charm, for the wine, and for the future of the football club. We will miss him. May he rest in peace.

Can we suggest at 2pm today, we all stop what we're doing (if possible), and take a moment to offer your thoughts and love for Ed and, whether real or virtual, raise a glass to Ed's memory...

Ed.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
While I'm away for a wedding today, come 2pm I'll take a moment to remember Ed. Hugely respected and sorely missed.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Thoughts again with Ed's family today. 2pm will be marked x

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I worked for Ed at community transport. He was a very nice guy. We had lots of chats about the Albion and his beloved Newport.
It was very strange this morning going on to another thread and his historic comments coming up on the screen.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just setting off for firle.

Hopefully the weather will hold.

He was a lovely man, cantankerous at times like we all are.

I always remember the FC United game at withdean where the FC fans were singing " stevie foster, what a difference you have made" at us...which only the people who were around at the cup final replay will know the significance of that. I shouted out that they were a shit man united, to whit Ed took me to task by telling me that these were the true , non corporate band wagging jumpers, fans of manu. He also did the same when we used to discus the AFC WImbledon situation. I miss those days of sitting with the very much missed Tony langridge( woodingdean seagulls) and behind ed and Roz in the south stand and waiting for Roz's supply of biscuits to appear.

It will be a very sad occasion today.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thinking of Ed now. I hope that it's a fitting sendoff for him.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
I echo Severnside's sentiments - classy touch to close the site. I didn't know Ed although did meet him a couple of times and enjoyed his contributions on here - Thoughts are with his family, and I will raise a glass to him this evening.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thanks to [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] for the idea of the NSC downtime, and to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for implementing it respectfully. Nice touch.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Just back from the celebration of Ed's life. Standing room only in the church.

Very fitting tributes covering the different aspects of Ed's life. His Life in Firle and how much he had done for the village; his expertise as a planner, Rural bus network, Morris Dancing, and the Albion all commented on with much humour and affection. He will be greatly missed

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's sad to hear about this. I only knew Lord Bracknell as a poster on here not as Ed Bassford, though I also understood he was VIP on the road to Falmer. We had the odd chat on NSC and he came across as a decent man without an ego so I will miss him and his Avatar on here.

It just seems such a shame that although he was here to see us promoted and would have been delighted at that, he never got to see the start the season. I guess we can reflect on all the fans who have passed and just appreciate living that dream for them when the season starts because this is the season we have all been waiting for for 34 years.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Was up my allotment this afternoon, about 14:35 ish, a couple of Red Kites gracefully circled overhead.
Didn't really mean anything at the time, but then one's thoughts turn to today's events in Firle, very peaceful and poignant moment.
I did not know LB personally, but a few chats on NSC over the time, you get to judge their character, which shone through:)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Very sad that I couldn't make it to the funeral today, but I stopped at 2 o'clock for 15 minutes or so of quiet contemplation. I'll raise a glass tonight to one of life's true good guys. I've no doubt that he'd have got a terrific send off this afternoon. Sincere thoughts and condolences to his family.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just back from Ed's funeral. Extremely well done and some lovely words from his friends. Good to see some old friends today and a great turnout from his Albion supporting mates. Paul Samrah's speech was brilliant and put into context just how much we owe Ed for the fabulous stadium that will be gracing Premier football this season. Thanks to Roz and the family for giving ed a magnificent send off.`

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here