Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gibraltar and Brexit

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Name calling is a bit petty isn't it?

I don't think you should get your state pension if you decide to live abroad as it is money being drawn from the UK and spent abroad.

My point is that lots of people like to live abroad and moan about how the UK has gone to shit but are quite happy to benefit from the blessings that living in the UK brings.

I know at least two families who never paid a days tax in their life and yet come back to the UK a couple of times a year to get their free NHS prescriptions which to me is wrong.

Never paid a days tax in their life? Have they never had a job, ever? If they inherited a 'shed load' of money, how can you be so sure that they never paid any tax? And if neither of the earlier apply, how did they afford to live abroad?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They were a distinct cultural and ethnic group from the french, even the language was different.

That's absolutely true - the Normans were Vikings really.

But it's not true that we weren't ruled by the French. The invasion by Henry of Anjou against Stephen (and, it could be argued that he was French too) culminated in the Treaty of Winchester and Henry assuming the throne as Henry II. They were most certainly French - the court spoke the language and Henry and his son Richard spent more time in France (Richard the Lionheart is very far from the 'English' hero - he scarcely spoke English and spent little time here).

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The first two - absolutely yes; the last - hmm, less so; I'd argue it's more a dialect difference, rather than a different language. The same can also be said for the Bordelais, the Burgudians, the Alsations, the Savoieans, etc. By the definition you seem to propose for making the distinction, it's possible to argue that the "French" don't exist at all.

They do now. But historians make the case that in terms of the language at least, the majority of the citizens of the Republic didn't/couldn't speak French until WWI or thereabouts. Not just the Basques and Bretons, either

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They do now. But historians make the case that in terms of the language at least, the majority of the citizens of the Republic didn't/couldn't speak French until WWI or thereabouts. Not just the Basques and Bretons, either

Yep, quite so.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Why not give them back to Spain? The Spanish are our friends. We don't need Gibraltar as military base. The Spanish would not stand for an independent Gibraltar and Gibraltar could not support itself financially

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Why not give them back to Spain? The Spanish are our friends. We don't need Gibraltar as military base. The Spanish would not stand for an independent Gibraltar and Gibraltar could not support itself financially

Complete drivel.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Name calling is a bit petty isn't it?

I don't think you should get your state pension if you decide to live abroad as it is money being drawn from the UK and spent abroad.

My point is that lots of people like to live abroad and moan about how the UK has gone to shit but are quite happy to benefit from the blessings that living in the UK brings.

I know at least two families who never paid a days tax in their life and yet come back to the UK a couple of times a year to get their free NHS prescriptions which to me is wrong.

How did they get an NI number?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Seems odd Spain are so keen to get Gibraltar back when it will cause problems for them with regard to Ceuta and Melilla which they have in Morocco.

My hunch is, like the Argies and the Falklands, it is just political grandstanding. That said, I'd still be a bit nervous if I were a Gibraltarian.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
That's absolutely true - the Normans were Vikings really.

But it's not true that we weren't ruled by the French. The invasion by Henry of Anjou against Stephen (and, it could be argued that he was French too) culminated in the Treaty of Winchester and Henry assuming the throne as Henry II. They were most certainly French - the court spoke the language and Henry and his son Richard spent more time in France (Richard the Lionheart is very far from the 'English' hero - he scarcely spoke English and spent little time here).

King John was the first post conquest monarch who could speak English.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Never paid a days tax in their life? Have they never had a job, ever? If they inherited a 'shed load' of money, how can you be so sure that they never paid any tax? And if neither of the earlier apply, how did they afford to live abroad?

Because they did cash in hand work whilst claiming benefits. Most self employed people I know including my own electrician pay little to no tax. Please don't take that as all self employed people, just a fair few that I know

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
The pension bit is money that the people themselves have paid into for many, many years. But you want to take it from them? I stand by my description of you, ingrate.

I understand what pot the money comes from and know that some people may have paid in but not all. Personally just think if you decide to leave the country you should lose your right to the benefits we all pay for

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a deal to be done here. Spain give us the Balearics, the Canaries and concede on the Gibraltar question, we give them Scotland.

We'll even let them invade Portugal if they take Wales off our hands.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There's a deal to be done here. Spain give us the Balearics, the Canaries and concede on the Gibraltar question, we give them Scotland.

We'll even let them invade Portugal if they take Wales off our hands.

What a rotten deal. I'd rather keep Gibraltar.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I understand what pot the money comes from and know that some people may have paid in but not all. Personally just think if you decide to leave the country you should lose your right to the benefits we all pay for

I worked in the UK for over 20 years, I then moved to Cyprus.

I paid tax and NI in the UK, and I now pay both in Cyprus.

When I retire I will get a UK pension proportional to the amount of years I paid in and a Cypriot pension proportional to the amount I will have paid in here.

Why on earth shouldn't I get the pension that I have paid for?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Pension is not benefit (unless you are a Tory chancellor, one for you there Ernest), it has been paid for by the person receiving it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here