Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Onside or offside?

Onside or offside

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Officials are never wrong!Offside,and no arguing or it's a card for dissent.

Actually,I had quite a good view and thought it was an appalling decision,but sssshhhhhh

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Clearly offside.
Claiming anything else is bringing the game into disrepute.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Boro get docked 4 points after Karanka's disgraceful comments about scoring most goals and not winning.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well, I care. Hence the question.

Why do you care then? I can understand a pub discussion about it but do you really care one way or the other? The game is over and the result was a draw. Nothing, other than the possibility of illegible players in the game, will change that.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Offside from the free kick, gained an advantage, then scored after whilst in an onside position. It's offside back from the initial free kick. As I said before on another thread. The offside rule is more traditional this year, if you are offside but don't touch the ball, but you are active in the play you are deemed as gaining an advantage. It's offside. Holloway doesn't know the rules.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I thought he was miles onside when I watched it live but the replays show that he was off and then moved back into an onside position. The lino actually indicated that this was the case so it was in fact a really good decision. Doesn't change the fact that we'd be spitting feathers if the same thing had happened to us or that because it was Boro it's bloody funny.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Pause it on 55 seconds, just as Ayala steps back and takes his shot, eye through the mower cut and he it clearly offside.
I think its a great desicion by the lino

what I saw too
but who the **** cares it was given as offside
it might be the decision that sends us up...............................thats life .........you win some some you lose some

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ian Holloway has his theory of "lino can't see the blue shirt" debunked almost immediately by Boateng who even wanted a 'brough win.
Holloway was being an idiot. The Sky presenter couldn't believe what he was hearing and wanted someone to offer an alternative view, but that's not his job, so he had to bite his tongue.

Pause it on 55 seconds, just as Ayala steps back and takes his shot, eye through the mower cut and he it clearly offside.
I think its a great desicion by the lino
I think pausing it on 55 seconds is a fraction of a second after the ball is played, and then it looks like he's offside, and that's why the lino has got it wrong. Worzel seems to have forgotten that the linesman can't pause the TV is live play. It was a really difficult decision to get right.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Very close either way and officials make mistakes all the time. This isn't the only mistake (if it is one!) and is not a decision that shapes a season, there will have been decisions that went in their favour and those that went against them - thats life.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very close either way and officials make mistakes all the time. This isn't the only mistake (if it is one!) and is not a decision that shapes a season, there will have been decisions that went in their favour
Like the fact that they shouldn't have had the bloody free-kick in the first place!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't believe most think it was offside :shrug:

Dec 29, 2011
Why do you care then? I can understand a pub discussion about it but do you really care one way or the other? The game is over and the result was a draw. Nothing, other than the possibility of illegible players in the game, will change that.

Because I've watched it a million times and I can't work out if it's on or offside. I want to see what people think to try and decide myself if it's on or off. This thread isn't about justifying the result or saying Middlesbrough were hard done by, it's a review of an incident in isolation because I'm genuinely interested what people think.

That's why I asked for people to try and look at it from a neutral perspective, because I don't care what people think about it as an event that changed the Championship, yet some people really can't seem to let that go (which is true judging by the light hearted 'suspensions all round' comments).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Don't care.

Now on a more serious topic looking at that clip, Holloway and the other pundit seem awfully "close" at times. Anyone else notice at about 01:05? And they're both wearing identical suits, with matching pocket handkerchiefs. Close your legs Holloway, your trousers are too tight :eek:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It looks a poor decision to me. However, it's one decision in a 46 game season. I'm sure Boro have had plenty of bad decisions in their favour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not 100% sure on the full extent of the offside rule, having not checked latest amendments but isnt the NO 21, Rhodes? in the centre of the goal clearly in an offside position but does interfering with play or being in the keepers eye sight a point now. I thought that FIFA changed the ruling as a result of a Man U goal last season with Rooney being in a clear offside position. As I said I am not sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here