Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] **January Transfer Window 2019**

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
i dont know how serious it is but IF it is reasonably long term ie a month or so we would need cover as we have no effective cover for Gross, Propper and Stephens only Kayal.

I agree we will have limited cover but CH has already shown he is willing to use Max Sanders on the bench and would probably be happy to do so for a few weeks so unless a midfielder is injured for months/rest of season I dont see us signing anyone

With the current injuries & a free spot in the named 25 there has been no indication of the Albion actively seeking any new signings for the first team squad this window yet and the possibility of another departure in Schelotto

I would be very surprised if there are any incomings unless there are further departures beyond Schelotto

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Dave Nugent surplus to requirements at Derby due to the return to form of Martin Waghorn, Huddersfield interested.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We won't at right back if Schelotto goes, but the broader point is that we only have 25 in our squad (plus youngsters). By your logic we'd need six CBs, for example, and we don't have them (and don't need them).
Leon Balogun would be 3rd pick right back.

Which player would it be on the left ? ???

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

quoting my own post as above .... "Technically although somewhat unlikely Schelotto can play left back & right back if memory serves me correctly & played there many times at previous clubs" but obviously depends on whether he gets a loan move

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
quoting my own post as above .... "Technically although somewhat unlikely Schelotto can play left back & right back if memory serves me correctly & played there many times at previous clubs" but obviously depends on whether he gets a loan move
That is the only realistic answer so far, and I still don't know who the U23 left back is.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
i dont know how serious it is but IF it is reasonably long term ie a month or so we would need cover as we have no effective cover for Gross, Propper and Stephens only Kayal.

I know a good place where you can find out. So no need to speculate.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?365486-Hughton-and-Injuries-tracker-2018-19/

Last detailed update about Bissouma was that he had a fitness test for Man United which he obviously didn't make but before that.
Bissouma [hip]
“Slight hip problem. Nothing that will keep him out for a period of time. Not quite sure [about Man United]
but its a very short term problem...If he misses [Man U] then we are quite sure he will be ready the following week (home to West Brom in the FA Cup)"
via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06w15wk
& https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/173...r-united-trip/

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suppose if Schelotto does get a loan away, we can just make sure Free Agent Liam Rosenior puts a bit of time in on the treadmill, and gets a new pass to the players car park just in case we have a left back crisis - perhaps we will if Bong gets scythed down on Saturday.

:albion2:

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I suppose if Schelotto does get a loan away, we can just make sure Free Agent Liam Rosenior puts a bit of time in on the treadmill, and gets a new pass to the players car park just in case we have a left back crisis - perhaps we will if Bong gets scythed down on Saturday.

:albion2:

at a guess .... Burn has played left sided of a back 3 & even possibly as a left back for Wigan so if worst came to worst Burn could possibly do a job there for a game or two

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It could be if unless he's had a setback we don't about, then the last update from Hughton said that if he wasn't training and fit for Man United , he would be ready for West Brom.

Well if that is the case, we have absolutely nothing to worry about, ergo, no need for a loan replacement.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Balogun can play rightback for sure, but on the left I don't know...

Who is our leftback main man in the U23s now that Cox is at Northampton on loan ?

Looking at the team sheet for the Liverpool match it would appear the LB was Cochrane - don't know much - well, actually anything - about him though.

Edit: Although he is listed as a midfielder on the club's website. Were we playing three at the back against Liverpool?

That is the only realistic answer so far, and I still don't know who the U23 left back is.

The U-23 left-back is indeed Alex Cochrane. Joseph Tomlinson, signed in the summer after being released by Yeovil Town, would be next in line (he is currently on a season-long loan at Bognor), followed by second-year scholar Cam Tutt.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am asking because I am just unclear who would play left back if Bernardo and Bong were unavailable. In every other position we have a decent option, I think.

Balogun : "I can play every position in the back line but I prefer centre-half, definitely. I ended up playing in the full-back more or less as an emergency when I played at Hanover and Werder Bremen. I am not slow and I always felt comfortable attacking down the flank."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/16...mier-league-consolidation-his-first-priority/

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Hughton said as recently as last Thursday that never say never "i wouldn't say no...but i don't expect it" and apart from Scheletto/Suttner and u23s - there would be no movement ("we are happy but we might pick up an injury... but i don't think that will be the case"), no incoming loans and he was happy with his squad again pre Man United press conference.
See: from 10.35
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06w8bz0

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You need to engage with my central point. According to your logic, we need three players for every position; this would result in 33 in the squad. There is a maximum of 25 permitted, which in emergencies needs to be supplemented with youngsters.
Given the limit of 25, most positions will only be covered by two players and it's actually far more important to have more cover further up the pitch, where variety is more necessary (substitutions through choice are more attacking positions), but it's here where our resources are more limited.
In answer to your question, March would probably fill in there and do a good job.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You need to engage with my central point. According to your logic, we need three players for every position; this would result in 33 in the squad. There is a maximum of 25 permitted, which in emergencies needs to be supplemented with youngsters.
Given the limit of 25, most positions will only be covered by two players and it's actually far more important to have more cover further up the pitch, where variety is more necessary (substitutions through choice are more attacking positions), but it's here where our resources are more limited.
In answer to your question, March would probably fill in there and do a good job.
Your central point is that I think we need a squad of 33 players ? ???

Certainly not what I said.

Why is it worth engaging with that nonsense ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here