Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Decathlon sports shops

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Got dragged into one in France by my partner. Seemed pretty average quality. Struck me as a bit like a French Mountain Warehouse

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Can't keep out of the Decathlon store in Crawley.

Bought walking and running stuff from them and it's been fine.

Not sure I would go for their walking boots or running shoes though.

I am not sure what level you run or walk, so you may need something better. I bought a pair of their QUECHUA MH100 Waterproof boots, I don't hike for miles, but go out for a local walk almost everyday just to keep fit and they have been fantastic. much more comfortable then the North Face pair I had before and a fraction of the price.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Would echo a lot of the runners' sentiments. Well priced gear that's decent quality from what I can tell. Haven't bought anything duff from there yet.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
I am not sure what level you run or walk, so you may need something better. I bought a pair of their QUECHUA MH100 Waterproof boots, I don't hike for miles, but go out for a local walk almost everyday just to keep fit and they have been fantastic. much more comfortable then the North Face pair I had before and a fraction of the price.

Great for kids' walking boots too. Don't do massive hikes with them, but winter countryside walks. Kids' walking boots were cheap and keep their feet bone dry in the mud/rain.

There's a massive Decathlon near where I live (one in Brighton seems very poky by comparison) and we get nearly all our sports gear there.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Their fleeces are £5.99 to £24.99 - madness. Its cheaper to wear, get dirty and throw away! They are warm and comfortable although the sizes are small. I need an XL when normally I am a medium.

Time will tell if they last as long as my North Face ones but as they are 10 times cheaper I can afford to take the risk.

Also gloves for my kid are 99p - yes less than a pound and you get both the left AND the right one in a pack. he can lose one a day and I dont worry.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I get my energy gels from there. They sell multi packs of SIS Gels cheaper than even Tesco. I’ve not bought running gear yet - I have a preferred brand of shoes and socks they don’t sell - but I’d certainly look at them for other bits and pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I got my Quechua winter coat (Decathlon own brand) from there a couple of years ago. It withstands anything an Austrian winter can throw at me and was far cheaper than more well-known alternatives.

Always found Decathlon really useful shop for active sports.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I get my energy gels from there. They sell multi packs of SIS Gels cheaper than even Tesco. I’ve not bought running gear yet - I have a preferred brand of shoes and socks they don’t sell - but I’d certainly look at them for other bits and pieces.

I agree with you on the shoes. I wouldn't trust a cheap brand and I've found which ones work for me.

I've got a few pairs of running shorts from there though. They're great for long runs, with pockets for gels, phone, keys etc. Also got a really nice winter running top which keeps me warm but is also breathable.

Their sizing is a bit off. I have to buy medium, when in all other sports brands I wear small.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Been using Decathlon for over 15yrs and its always the first port of call for us whenever we need stuff - whether thats for football, cycling, skiing etc etc. Never been disappointed with anything weve bought and is always superb vfm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with you on the shoes. I wouldn't trust a cheap brand and I've found which ones work for me.

I've got a few pairs of running shorts from there though. They're great for long runs, with pockets for gels, phone, keys etc. Also got a really nice winter running top which keeps me warm but is also breathable.

Their sizing is a bit off. I have to buy medium, when in all other sports brands I wear small.

Not sure about the cheap brand thing....I wear Hokas for most of my running, they’re not cheap but they’re knocked out in sweatshops in Vietnam mostly so I doubt they’re any better build than whatever Decathlon sell under their own name (they often have known brand running shoes in stock too - Salomon in particular).

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Bought A Columbia rain jacket from there 12 years ago. Also bought some other bits before I went to Asia. All good quality and well priced m.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I love Decathlon so much - first thing I got was a pop up tent in about 2003 from their Surrey Quays store, hundreds spent in their since.

Only place you can pop into to get some running shorts and come out with crampons and a canoe and some bow hunting gear.

Best, best place as well for kids PE trainers, cheap as chips and good quality.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
I have made a few purchases here in Brasov, the cheapest products you get what you pay for, the higher priced products I've had absolutely no problem with, so I would recommend

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We buy some ski clothing from Decathlon online, great value when having to keep going up the age groups for our kids.

I didn’t realise they had a Brighton shop, until I was able to return some items before Xmas. Good customer service.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I need to get some base layers and a fleece plus some “man leggings” for trail running. I reckon their range looks quality enough for those bits. Climbing shoes are only for low height bouldering so they’re fine .
It’s the hiking boots I’m in two minds about. I do a lot of walks anything from 10 miles to 25 miles so they need to be quality.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bought lots of general sports gear from there, particularly running gear, rugby gear and cycling gear.

It has all been very good. I've been particularly impressed by my road bike, which I've had 5 years now and is doing excellently, it has been upgraded with wheels from a higher specced decathlon bike, but is otherwise great. They have just taken the 'Road bike of the year award' with road.cc (cycling website) for of their carbon offerings.

The only issue I have with Decathlon, is they don't tend to stock larger shoe sizes.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I need to get some base layers and a fleece plus some “man leggings” for trail running. I reckon their range looks quality enough for those bits. Climbing shoes are only for low height bouldering so they’re fine .
It’s the hiking boots I’m in two minds about. I do a lot of walks anything from 10 miles to 25 miles so they need to be quality.

I bought Meindl Toronto £130 for German build quality. 18 months on and the sole came off the toe. Meindl said what do you expect with an old pair of boots!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here