Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stockdale to Sarfend .. (how the mighty fall)..

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He is/was your favourite player I assume?

I notice you haven't withdrawn your accusation on Dunk 'letting the player get the shot away' , which he wasn't guilty of.

One of my favourites. No, I haven't. Many mistakes were made by many players over those three games.
Higher up the thread I have over 30 thumbs up for my comment about 'how the mighty fall'. Too many fans are too willing to stick the knife into a player and blame them for everything.
It's the one thing I hate about football.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yes. But he was also our keeper for large parts of our relegation season 2002/03.

Three appearances is not a large part of a season. He was at Charlton and was also loaned to Reading and Luton as well,that season.

He came to us from Charlton at the beginning of the 03/04 season and made 32 appearances before injuring his back.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
An estimated £1m a year gross does not mean you'd have "millions in the bank", you wozzak.

He'd already played Premier League football, with Fulham.

More to the point, as stated elsewhere, it's thought that he'd been told that he would be No2. So he actually turned down sitting on the bench in the Premier League.

He obviously (??) didn't know Birmingham would struggle. They were ambitious.

He has a family. He was quite open that he went for job security. A longer contract and on more dosh (and first-team football). Fair play.

Again, it's widely believed he'd been told that he'd be no.2 and was offered just one year. He wasn't in CH's plans.

Then again if he'd signed a one-year extension, he could be out-of-contract right now, or paying for peanuts.

But he's got a roof over his head, and has probably set-up his family for life.

It's his call. Not sure why others are so judgmental, especially as the Albion have made some great decisions in the GK dept.
Goodness me, that did get your back up, didn't it?

He's been earning that type of money for several years, so I'd say it was fairly likely he's got a bumper bank balance, and won't need to work again.

I realise he's played in the PL before, but their career is short. Opting for Championship football shows a lack of ambition, in my opinion.

Someone on Facebook was saying he wanted a 2 year contract because his daughter is starting her GCSEs. No footballer ever admits they are moving for the money, it's always ambition or family. Apparently when at Charlton, Dale Stephens was looking to move back north, until South Coast club Brighton came in with a good offer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Someone on Facebook was saying he wanted a 2 year contract because his daughter is starting her GCSEs. No footballer ever admits they are moving for the money, it's always ambition or family.

In an interview shortly after he signed for them, the clincher was apparently the "unbelievable pashun" of the Birmingham fans. He'd seen them behind the goal at Bristol when they stayed up on the final day of the previous season you see, and been blown away by it. Apparently.

So there you go. Maybe if we'd been more "passionate" as fans, he'd have stayed at BHA. We've only got ourselves to blame, really.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I blame Stockdale for the error, I agree that the Championship titlw as lost over the final three games of the season, defeats to both Norwich and Bristol City, as well as the draw at Aston Villa.

The result perhaps of partying too hard after winning promotion, and/or thinking the title was as good as won.

This. We were SEVEN points ahead with three games to play. Whole team were on the beach as soon as promotion was won. Shame, the shitferbrains could have had a winners medal to show their grandkids. Oh well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This. We were SEVEN points ahead with three games to play. Whole team were on the beach as soon as promotion was won. Shame, the shitferbrains could have had a winners medal to show their grandkids. Oh well.

main-qimg-9fb56694d7c0aa63d7bb6ad9beab6870-c

Its such a grand old trophy, and so familiar from the pre-Premier League days when I can remember seeing the great Liverpool teams parading it around as Champions. I would have dearly LOVED to have seen that in the hands of El Capitan at the end of that season.

But we went for the flipflops instead. Gutted.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Goodness me, that did get your back up, didn't it?

Well, with respect, your post was a crock of... uninformed nonsense.

Someone on Facebook was saying he wanted a 2 year contract because his daughter is starting her GCSEs.

More specifically:

"My decision was based on my family this time. My daughter is doing her exams soon so I needed a bit longer on my contract. These are reasons people didn't know at the time and I'm not ashamed to say I put my family first and football second for a change.

"Some people don't usually do that, and they might not agree with that, but I've moved my family sometimes every year if needs be and they don't kick up a fuss, so why should I be doing it when I think about them?

"It's passion and I don't blame them. But I don't get it when it's personal towards my family. For me, I don't really care, I like the interaction and social media can be good for a lot of things, it's a free country and you can have your own opinion.

"But when you're just trying to look after your family, it sounds bad and we love football as our hobby, but it is a job. Sometimes you've got to put family first and that's what I'm doing this time."

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
In an interview shortly after he signed for them, the clincher was apparently the "unbelievable pashun" of the Birmingham fans. He'd seen them behind the goal at Bristol when they stayed up on the final day of the previous season you see, and been blown away by it. Apparently.

So there you go. Maybe if we'd been more "passionate" as fans, he'd have stayed at BHA. We've only got ourselves to blame, really.
Haha, yes! [emoji122]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
main-qimg-9fb56694d7c0aa63d7bb6ad9beab6870-c

Its such a grand old trophy, and so familiar from the pre-Premier League days when I can remember seeing the great Liverpool teams parading it around as Champions. I would have dearly LOVED to have seen that in the hands of El Capitan at the end of that season.

But we went for the flipflops instead. Gutted.

I'm still gutted. :(

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I bloody loved Stockers from the day he signed I thought he was class. Had many an argument after his first season.

However the move to Brum has not worked out at all for him, I was gutted when he left, I would still prefer him to be our number 3 than Steele probably would push to be my number 2 but havent seen enough of Button to judge.

Hopefully things work out for him, but I think Roberts and the club got the best out of him.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Nope, however you look at it, Stockdale needs to put his hands up to the mistake, it was down to him fair and square. Not a difficult save for a Sunday league goalkeeper to make, let alone an experienced Championship one.

Clearly you were not at Villa that day otherwise you would have seen his reaction at the final whistle and afterwards, he didn't need to do anything more to pacify the haters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well, with respect, your post was a crock of... uninformed nonsense.

More specifically:

"My decision was based on my family this time. My daughter is doing her exams soon so I needed a bit longer on my contract. These are reasons people didn't know at the time and I'm not ashamed to say I put my family first and football second for a change.

"Some people don't usually do that, and they might not agree with that, but I've moved my family sometimes every year if needs be and they don't kick up a fuss, so why should I be doing it when I think about them?

"It's passion and I don't blame them. But I don't get it when it's personal towards my family. For me, I don't really care, I like the interaction and social media can be good for a lot of things, it's a free country and you can have your own opinion.

"But when you're just trying to look after your family, it sounds bad and we love football as our hobby, but it is a job. Sometimes you've got to put family first and that's what I'm doing this time."

Yeah like turn us down, possibly as a number two yes, but we did offer him a contract, so he took a longer contract and stayed for a year, got shipped out on loan and it now looks like he will be going on loan or sold, not really the stability he was looking for, but then football life can change at the flick of a wrist....

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, he took a gamble and it has not paid off, lets hop it works out for him and his family.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here