Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ryder cup 2018.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Captain America" was the nickname I think. A bit like Paul Ince and his self-proclaimed "Guvnor" nickname. All a bit cringeworthy.

In terms of rankings, 11 out of the 12 in the USA's team were in the world top 20, Europe had 6. The Americans had 31 Majors between them, Europe had 8. So all the numbers were heavily weighted towards the USA team, but as someone alluded to in the aftermath, the Europeans park their egos at the door and come together as a team. The Americans seem incapable of doing that. And that is probably the single biggest factor.

You're right, "Captain America".

Bubka and Butch have said repeatedly that the European players attitude is immense. Several illustrious European players who missed out this time, individually, couldn't wait to get to Paris to support their mates.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do agree that their complete lack of any team ethic played a big part, but ultimately the fact that Woods, Mickelson, Reed and (until Sunday) Finau, all played terrible golf, was the bigger problem. They were carrying a load of passengers.

Partnering Woods looks like a thankless task, he was walking round that course with a face like a smacked arse for almost the entire weekend. Him and Reed had zero chemistry, Woods just does not engage with his playing partner on any level. Not a pat on the back, not a fistbump or a word of encouragement. Even when he was paired up with the rookie Dechambeau, Woods offered him no support whatsoever, he just goes into his shell. Partnering Woods must be like going out on a long country walk with a stroppy teenager who doesn't want to be there.

A lot of that team just don't look like they're enjoying it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Partnering Woods looks like a thankless task, he was walking round that course with a face like a smacked arse for almost the entire weekend. Him and Reed had zero chemistry, Woods just does not engage with his playing partner on any level. Not a pat on the back, not a fistbump or a word of encouragement. Even when he was paired up with the rookie Dechambeau, Woods offered him no support whatsoever, he just goes into his shell. Partnering Woods must be like going out on a long country walk with a stroppy teenager who doesn't want to be there.

I think there really is a serious ego issue when it comes to US Golfers and the Ryder Cup I am sure Woods and Mickelson were paired up once before and it was a total disaster from the first tee shot as zero chemistry between them

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Dechambeau really did draw the short straw didn't he. And then just when it looked as if he'd at least salvage some pride on the last hole in the singles....... Oh.

Jimmy Grimble

The stats on how many practice rounds each team had played at the course (prior to the start of the week) was the most telling for me.

USA was something like 15 while Europe was something like 300.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The stats on how many practice rounds each team had played at the course (prior to the start of the week) was the most telling for me.

USA was something like 15 while Europe was something like 300.

Plus only one American came over to play the French Open on the Albatros course in July. It clashed with the Quickens Loan National in Maryland, so not one of the significant PGA tournaments. Justin Thomas took 4 points in this RC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here