Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Two shootings in north London - 17yo girl dead

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

D

Deleted member 22389

Don't know how many millions the government has pumped in to projects over the years to educate people, stay away from gangs, guns, knifes and so on, because it doesn't seem to make any difference. The message isn't getting through. What's the solution?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
London murder rate overtakes New York?

What is behind this?

Whilst this is obviously not a good thing (and, interestingly, the estimated population for both cities is 8.54 million, so in some ways it's a good compairson), the annual murder rate for New York is circa 327 (average for last five years), and for London is 105. I don't think taking one or two months is representative. I wouldn't be surprised if the murder rates in New York are lower in January and February due to the extreme cold weather they have.

Worth noting that there were 2245 murders in New York in 1990 compared to 190 in London.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Nothing will improve until the local community want it to.With stop and search being impossible due to PC,any programme would need to be intelligence led.No information,no improvements.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm just amazed how the NYPD managed to bring it down from however many thousands of murders per annum in the 90s to its current lowest-ever homicide rate. Whatever worked for them must be worth trying in London. Problems are politics (cuts) and politics (reduced stop-and-searching). And also, probably the lack of community relations. People just don't care and gangs flourish.

It's a complex picture, so it's not going to be an easy solution. Very sad though, it goes without saying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst this is obviously not a good thing (and, interestingly, the estimated population for both cities is 8.54 million, so in some ways it's a good compairson), the annual murder rate for New York is circa 327 (average for last five years), and for London is 105. I don't think taking one or two months is representative. I wouldn't be surprised if the murder rates in New York are lower in January and February due to the extreme cold weather they have.

Worth noting that there were 2245 murders in New York in 1990 compared to 190 in London.

This. Any death is tragic, but sensationalising figures over two months is extremely misleading.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
14th death in the last 20 days, just crazy. Friend of mine lives in Tottenham, says the kids in gangs have been feral for years now but he's never known anything like the last couple of years in terms of day-to-day violence (as opposed to full-scale riots).

I've noticed Brighton has gone down a similar path. There's been a fair few stabbings of recent. It was only a few weeks ago someone's face was slashed with a knife on Western rd. I've noticed a gang of young adults hanging around outside the KFC and McDonalds on Western rd with Police often in their presence. It does seem this Ghetto/gangster culture is expanding.

In East Brighton alone, From feb 2017 to March 2018, there's been 327 violence and sexual offences and 296 antisocial behaviour offences.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
May strangling the police with massive cuts.

Can’t police minorities anymore without being called racist

Apparently employing more police from the minority background is the awnser to all London's problems.

On another note it will only get worse...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've noticed Brighton has gone down a similar path. There's been a fair few stabbings of recent. It was only a few weeks ago someone's face was slashed with a knife on Western rd. I've noticed a gang of young adults hanging around outside the KFC and McDonalds on Western rd with Police often in their presence. It does seem this Ghetto/gangster culture is expanding.

In East Brighton alone, From feb 2017 to March 2018, there's been 327 violence and sexual offences and 296 antisocial behaviour offences.

Not good at all. There are many more complex issues involved I'm sure, but a dangerous mix of the effects of austerity / cuts to public (including police) funding starting to really bite, the rise in gang culture (fueled to some extent by social media), increasing intolerance / aggressive attitudes towards others not in the in-group (certainly not helped by social media, Brexit, Trump, fundamentalist Islam etc), and drugs (of course) and their link with the desperate and organised crime, seems to be turning parts of many of our towns and cities into increasingly nasty and dangerous places. Very sad.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Not good at all. There are many more complex issues involved I'm sure, but a dangerous mix of the effects of austerity / cuts to public (including police) funding starting to really bite, the rise in gang culture (fueled to some extent by social media), increasing intolerance / aggressive attitudes towards others not in the in-group (certainly not helped by social media, Brexit, Trump, fundamentalist Islam etc), and drugs (of course) and their link with the desperate and organised crime, seems to be turning parts of many of our towns and cities into increasingly nasty and dangerous places. Very sad.

How have Brexit and Donald Trump caused an increase in the murder rate in London ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm just amazed how the NYPD managed to bring it down from however many thousands of murders per annum in the 90s to its current lowest-ever homicide rate. Whatever worked for them must be worth trying in London. Problems are politics (cuts) and politics (reduced stop-and-searching). And also, probably the lack of community relations. People just don't care and gangs flourish.

It's a complex picture, so it's not going to be an easy solution. Very sad though, it goes without saying.
It might be interesting to look up the ratio of police/ citizens in both cities? I would not be surprised if NY had a higher ratio.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Again a tragedy turns into a fest of political point scoring.

Go off to Argus comments to take the debate to the next level...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
How have Brexit and Donald Trump caused an increase in the murder rate in London ?

I was referring to the increasing intolerance and 'nasty' attitudes of some people which have been emboldened by both Brexit and the likes of Trump, adding to the pre-existing mix of problems mentioned (along with many others as stated), making parts of this country (and others of course) even more unpleasant places to be than they were already. Whatever ones political leanings, if any, it's pretty hard to argue the effects of both have improved society and the way people behave towards one another.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Again a tragedy turns into a fest of political point scoring.

Go off to Argus comments to take the debate to the next level...

No it hasn't. Politics is society and visa versa. You can't discuss violence whilst ignoring them, it would be an incomplete debate.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

NY still has something like 3 times the number annually that London does, and London has also dropped significantly (almost 50%) in the same period (see [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] post above). Think the concern is that it's starting to rise...............

When I first started travelling to NYC with work, Central Park was (I was told) a complete no-go area after dark (and even in the day people stuck to the 'busy' areas). Now it's mobbed from before 5am to midnight with joggers, walkers, cyclists, fitness groups, dogwalkers etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here