Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Norwood bid rejected!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would imagine when you sell a player you want more than you paid and wages recouped so that's not a great deal by your reckoning.

In an ideal world then yes but we don't live in an ideal world. Main point is when you sell someone you get at least what you paid for them and then benefit is that their wages are then off your books and that part of your budget can be spent on someone else.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do you want wages recouped, surely wages are earned. Agree in an ideal world you would want more than you paid for him. Considering we don't think he is Premier League quality and he is in the last year of contract I think it will be a decent price. I see Hull are interested in Skalak as well. I would accept £2.5- £3m for the pair
Wages are the largest expense of any business. If you get back your initial outlay plus what you have paid to the player in wages over his contract duration your on a win win.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Wages are the largest expense of any business. If you get back your initial outlay plus what you have paid to the player in wages over his contract duration your on a win win.

Yep totally agree with you, but I have never taken wages into account when I have looked at a transfer and considered if its a good sale or not. If he was on £20,000 a week and we paid the reported £1.2m for him you are saying anything less than £3.7m is a rubbish sale for him. He is in the last year of his contract and barely played for us last season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It must have been a low offer for Norwood and Skalak as I do not think either will figure in CH future plans so logically if it was a reasonable offer we would have accepted it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It must have been a low offer for Norwood and Skalak as I do not think either will figure in CH future plans so logically if it was a reasonable offer we would have accepted it.

*cough* Hull *cough*

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep totally agree with you, but I have never taken wages into account when I have looked at a transfer and considered if its a good sale or not. If he was on £20,000 a week and we paid the reported £1.2m for him you are saying anything less than £3.7m is a rubbish sale for him. He is in the last year of his contract and barely played for us last season.
Interesting to see what fee we accept, Goldson deal 100% covered every outlay made by the club, I'm just looking at it from a business angle and what I would try and achieve.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
*cough* Hull *cough*

As the club negotiates really hard right down to the last penny, when buying a player.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just accepted the first reasonable offer that came their way, when selling one. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As the club negotiates really hard right down to the last penny, when buying a player.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just accepted the first reasonable offer that came their way, when selling one. :facepalm:

Yep. That's exactly what I'll do when I sell my house.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Interesting to see what fee we accept, Goldson deal 100% covered every outlay made by the club, I'm just looking at it from a business angle and what I would try and achieve.

Sadly not always that simple. I think we paid top price for Norwood, so will be good if we recoup it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would imagine when you sell a player you want more than you paid and wages recouped so that's not a great deal by your reckoning.
No, when you sell a player you want as much as you can get, and anything over his estimated value is good. I'd think something like £1.5m to £2m would be decent for our club. We presumably also got a fee for loaning him out last season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sadly not always that simple. I think we paid top price for Norwood, so will be good if we recoup it.

At the time of Norwood's signing, the only reference I saw to a figure was a Reading fan posting on the HobNob forum that it was £1million, in instalments.

Since then, the Argus has reported that he was signed on a free.

I have no idea which, if either, is correct.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
At the time of Norwood's signing, the only reference I saw to a figure was a Reading fan posting on the HobNob forum that it was £1million, in instalments.

Since then, the Argus has reported that he was signed on a free.

I have no idea which, if either, is correct.

I don't remember where I heard it from (it would have been via the internet though) but I do remember seeing a fee of £1.5m, and I would have thought to myself that was the most reliable source so I stuck with it.

I must admit that I haven't seen the Argus say free transfer, but I usually think to myself they are more reliable than most so would go with them over the vast majority written on the net about Brighton (I must also say some people on here seems to know quite alot and make it public before Naylor and Owen)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't remember where I heard it from (it would have been via the internet though) but I do remember seeing a fee of £1.5m, and I would have thought to myself that was the most reliable source so I stuck with it.

I must admit that I haven't seen the Argus say free transfer, but I usually think to myself they are more reliable than most so would go with them over the vast majority written on the net about Brighton (I must also say some people on here seems to know quite alot and make it public before Naylor and Owen)

Norwood - Huddersfield to Reading The fee was described by Huddersfield as a "significant and undisclosed fee".

Look at the amount of appearances he clocked up at Reading(38/43). He was an important player under Stam

Why would they then give him away to us for nothing ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

This is where the Argus mentioned he arrived on a free transfer - Brighton and Hove Albion turn down bid from Fulham for Oliver Norwood

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I see Hull are interested in Skalak as well. I would accept £2.5- £3m for the pair

I would hope that, should Hull get close to the valuation of the players, Tony would ask for a small add on as part of the deal: Nigel Adkins to come to the Amex for our opening game of the season wearing a t-shirt displaying the words 'SEVEN YEARS TOO LATE' and, at half-time, provide a solo honour guard for our invited guests, the 2010/11 League One Championship winning side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here