Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You might like it, some people seem to

Genuine question Uncle: did you enjoy The Blair Witch Project? Seems to me - without yet seeing it - that Hereditary may be another such slow-builder. Maybe not suited to bennies munching in-seat pizzas and texting with phones they pathetically assume are completely invisible to other punters. Hope so anyways.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Genuine question Uncle: did you enjoy The Blair Witch Project? Seems to me - without yet seeing it - that Hereditary may be another such slow-builder. Maybe not suited to bennies munching in-seat pizzas and texting with phones they pathetically assume are completely invisible to other punters. Hope so anyways.

I thought the Blair Witch Project was good and the ending was excellent, it was 100 x better than Hereditary. The more I think about it the angrier I get at losing 127 minutes of my life and £ 22

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So.

Emerged blinking into bright Preston Circus sunlight from the matinee of Hereditary thinking WTF. Fellow film-goer I got chatting to while waiting for the lights to change summed up the film in much the same three letters. As I strongly suspect did just about everyone else who's ever seen it. It's a game of two halves Brian. The opening hour is a curious mish-mash of mismatched sound and vision. The soundtrack is trying desperately to build a mood of foreboding, but visually there is no such mood, just scene upon scene of straight unscary narrative. Hard to care about anyone in the family rattling about in the big old house. Not Toni Collette as the perpetually distraught mother. Not Gabriel Byrne as the balefully silent father. Not Milly Shapiro as the puffy-faced disturbed and disturbing 13 year old kid. Not Alex Wolff as her stoner older brother. You genuinely don't care what happens to any of these people. Which makes for a long first hour, at the end of which it's likely to have lost the interest of many in the audience, especially those who like their horror served up thick and schlock. Shame really, because the second half goes increasingly bonkers, with a couple of decent set pieces. But overall the makers will be disappointed with that effort. It's no Exorcist.

5/10

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The best 'possession' style movie I have ever seen is The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Thats got some genuinely scary and disturbing shit going on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So.

Emerged blinking into bright Preston Circus sunlight from the matinee of Hereditary thinking WTF. Fellow film-goer I got chatting to while waiting for the lights to change summed up the film in much the same three letters. As I strongly suspect did just about everyone else who's ever seen it. It's a game of two halves Brian. The opening hour is a curious mish-mash of mismatched sound and vision. The soundtrack is trying desperately to build a mood of foreboding, but visually there is no such mood, just scene upon scene of straight unscary narrative. Hard to care about anyone in the family rattling about in the big old house. Not Toni Collette as the perpetually distraught mother. Not Gabriel Byrne as the balefully silent father. Not Milly Shapiro as the puffy-faced disturbed and disturbing 13 year old kid. Not Alex Wolff as her stoner older brother. You genuinely don't care what happens to any of these people. Which makes for a long first hour, at the end of which it's likely to have lost the interest of many in the audience, especially those who like their horror served up thick and schlock. Shame really, because the second half goes increasingly bonkers, with a couple of decent set pieces. But overall the makers will be disappointed with that effort. It's no Exorcist.

5/10

As said. It is absolute crap

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So.

5/10

Bl**dy hell, it sounds worse than Eastenders - will give it a miss, thanks

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bl**dy hell, it sounds worse than Eastenders - will give it a miss, thanks

Tom is being generous. I am struggling to think of a worse film in the last 5 years

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
REALLY looking forward to watching this presently, with the lovely Ruth WIlson (Luther) and some wonderful sounds from PJ Harvey.

Finally got around to seeing this. Low on dialogue, it earns the right to work a lot on eye contact. Dark, lovely scenery but don't watch it on a cheery Sunday afternoon. One of the best of 2018, and Ruth Wilson is MAGNIFICENT. 9.2 / 10.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On this day, 34 years ago, Daniel LaRusso (with the help of Mister Miyagi) defeated Cobra Kai’s Johnny Lawrence to win the Under-18 All-Valley Karate Tournament.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Really enjoyed Hereditary as I had read nothing about it at all and I like a slow burner. Unlike a lot of films I found it progressively raked up the atmosphere, weirdness and tension right to the end. Yes it was a bit WTF but in a good way imo. Certainly, something new and different. 8/10 from me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really enjoyed Hereditary as I had read nothing about it at all and I like a slow burner. Unlike a lot of films I found it progressively raked up the atmosphere, weirdness and tension right to the end. Yes it was a bit WTF but in a good way imo. Certainly, something new and different. 8/10 from me.

In my showing 2 people walked out after an hour and everyone was laughing through the last 20 minutes and at the end. Reading audience reviews this seems to be a common theme

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
In my showing 2 people walked out after an hour and everyone was laughing through the last 20 minutes and at the end. Reading audience reviews this seems to be a common theme

Yes, I think we get now that you didn't like it but is it necessary to keep banging on about it? You don't need to justify it, you didn't rate it, bravo, but I did!

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
On this day, 34 years ago, Daniel LaRusso (with the help of Mister Miyagi) defeated Cobra Kai’s Johnny Lawrence to win the Under-18 All-Valley Karate Tournament.

What a film, love it, there were so many great teen films in the 80s it is a shame that these days we are flooded by cgi superhero films that always end with a 30 minute battle scene. Wax on wax off!:bowdown:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stanley A Man of Variety
The idea of the film - Timothy Spall is a long-term inmate/patient at a secure mental health facility that is about to close down, and it is approaching the anniversary of his daughter's death so he wants the chance to spend a few hours at her grave, and this plays out as Spall the only actor in the film, hallucinating a variety of people real (Tony Hancock, George Formby, Alistair Sim) and fictional (his parents, a doctor that is shaped by his own prejudices) - feels like it has a lot of potential. But it was hard to work out what exactly the point of the idea was - it wasn't funny enough for it to be about the humour, it wasn't sympathetic enough to make you feel for Stanley, it doesn't appear to have any other purpose. So you're left with a narratively thin, empty film full of pointless weirdness.

Spall does some great impressions, though.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jurassic World: The Lost Kingdom. *************SPOILERS***********

We are heading into the blockbuster season and before the inevitable tsunami of children overwhelm multiplexes to watch films about talking animals I've been checking out a few of the more adult targeted whizz-bangers. This week was Jurassic World. I prefer it when the action is based on the island but there was a rather nice out of context feel to Megasmashasaurs running around a country pile. I rather enjoyed it and..... *****SPOILER**************

I rather liked the setting up of Dinosaurs now roaming free a la Planet of The Apes.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

We are heading into the blockbuster season and before the inevitable tsunami of children overwhelm multiplexes to watch films about talking animals I've been checking out a few of the more adult targeted whizz-bangers. This week was Jurassic World. I prefer it when the action is based on the island but there was a rather nice out of context feel to Megasmashasaurs running around a country pile. I rather enjoyed it and..... *****SPOILER**************

I rather liked the setting up of Dinosaurs now roaming free a la Planet of The Apes.

All 20 of them ��

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I agree, I thought it was very good. 2nd best of the 5. I like to be entertained and it certainly did that. Saw the Happy Prince yesterday, brilliant perfornance from Everett. Sure to win awards and a very decent first direction effort. 83 out of 100

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I finally got around to watching Jurassic World. Eh. It feels like there's nothing outlandish about how they've chosen to progress the world they've created. It's entirely logical in a world where genetic technology is at the point that they can recreate dinosaurs, and design dinosaurs for their exhibition that some company would look to monetise and militarise the technology. But it just felt like that isn't what a Jurassic Park/World should be about.

Did I miss an explanation for why the pterosaurs didn't fly off the island anyway? Or why the mosasauraus that is able to jump out of the water for food/victims, can't jump over the gate to get out? Also, the finances seemed quite... low, both the cost of the individual dinosaurs and the total that was being used to fund super advanced technology? Isn't the story behind the little girl deserving of more than a couple of lines - like an entire movie worth of discussion?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here