Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Using the lift to get to west upper

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh good! My business partner in Nigeria has also requested that you give your bank details and relevant passwords and PIN numbers as an act of good faith - by the way, he doesn't like Guinness.

Why not? Nigerian Guinness is amazing! Or Laughing-And-Falling-Down-Water as we call it over in the park in the mornings.

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne
For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

When I had an op that temporarily restricted my ability to walk, I asked the club if I could use the lift to WSU, but was told it was a goods lift and not for people.
This was a few years back.
So I had to hobble slowly up and down the stairs.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
There are different lifts in the west, some of which presumably comply to fire safety and some do not. When I was doing voluntary work at the club I'd get the lift up from the players tunnel level to the west upper concourse to transport myself & equipment. They'd often be catering staff in there with trolleys full of pies etc too. It was fairly busy with staff. However, when I attended the McGhee/Booker event in one of the 1901 lounges I entered via the main entrance and used a different lift. So my hunch is the one that goes up to the concourse isn't suitable for exiting in a fire and perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I had my knee reconstructed after being knocked of my bike, once I was well enough to move about but not climb that amount of stairs I contacted supporter services and they gave me a seat in the disabled area for a couple of games. I had to send them proof that I had an injury. Managed to get back to my own just seat in time for the Wigan game and see us promoted. I was going up their no matter what so slowly and with crutches I made it. Surprisingly over took some people on the way up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. A solution will be needed.

Despite the sour replies from one or two poster (not you) who seem to think I am being ungrateful for not throwing myself prostrate at the feet of the head of 'matchday experience' for kindly switching my seats, my question was simply 'why can't I use a lift that (it now transpires is clear) others use on a one-off?'. Nobody at the club told me that I would be refused entry if I could access my seat only with crutches or by lift (which isn't even the case) or could leave west upper only by lift (which isn't the case) or that I pose a health and safety risk if I go up to west upper and struggle to get down again (which arguably I may). The reason given was that (to summarise what I already said) if I accessed west upper by lift the club could not guarantee I would be able to egress by the same lift if there were a fire. That, I suggested, is a rum sort of explanation, and I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow about it, if only a little bit.

Regarding the latter point, there are plenty of older people who struggle up and down the stairs just because thay are old and unfit. In the event of a fire, say, they will not be able to leap down the stairs any quicker than I can right now. So to say I cannot use a lift because if I do and there is a fire and I am up on west upper I would burn to death or be a hazard to others attempting to leave is a somewhat peculiar thing to say all the while other people with limited mobility are allowed in, puffing and wheezing and limping, no questions asked. Anyway, I am replying to the thread again only because one arse thinks it would be better had the club jus told me to do one, and I'm irritated by that. The clown.

Anyway, I am sure that Ernest can start a spoof thread mocking my thwarted sense of 'entitlement' (albeit I won't read it because I blocked him a while ago). Some people.....:shrug:

In your OP you weren’t complaining in the slightest, just gently putting a reasonably question out there. Bizarrely you received a couple of replies as if you’d been an ungrateful so and so. It’s a funny old game!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You’re not supposed to use lifts in the event of a fire :shrug:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yes. A solution will be needed.

Despite the sour replies from one or two poster (not you) who seem to think I am being ungrateful for not throwing myself prostrate at the feet of the head of 'matchday experience' for kindly switching my seats, my question was simply 'why can't I use a lift that (it now transpires is clear) others use on a one-off?'. Nobody at the club told me that I would be refused entry if I could access my seat only with crutches or by lift (which isn't even the case) or could leave west upper only by lift (which isn't the case) or that I pose a health and safety risk if I go up to west upper and struggle to get down again (which arguably I may). The reason given was that (to summarise what I already said) if I accessed west upper by lift the club could not guarantee I would be able to egress by the same lift if there were a fire. That, I suggested, is a rum sort of explanation, and I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow about it, if only a little bit.

Regarding the latter point, there are plenty of older people who struggle up and down the stairs just because thay are old and unfit. In the event of a fire, say, they will not be able to leap down the stairs any quicker than I can right now. So to say I cannot use a lift because if I do and there is a fire and I am up on west upper I would burn to death or be a hazard to others attempting to leave is a somewhat peculiar thing to say all the while other people with limited mobility are allowed in, puffing and wheezing and limping, no questions asked. Anyway, I am replying to the thread again only because one arse thinks it would be better had the club jus told me to do one, and I'm irritated by that. The clown.

Anyway, I am sure that Ernest can start a spoof thread mocking my thwarted sense of 'entitlement' (albeit I won't read it because I blocked him a while ago). Some people.....:shrug:

What a total bore you've become

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only so many seats available for you to change TO though, unless the club are going so start arm-twisting people in seats with easier access to change with you. It's a bit of a sticking plaster solution though. It's a pig of a climb up those steps. With an ageing WSU population, the club needs to come up with a proper medium to long term solution. That'll be more installing lifts for qualifying supporters then. Or escalators.

I said this when The Amex plan s first came out. We should have followed The Bernabau example and installed escalators to go up to the top of WSU.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

Tried the same when I broke my ankle. It was a straight no due to health and safety. I was also offered a temporary alternative which I suppose in the scheme of things is still good PR

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh good! My business partner in Nigeria has also requested that you give your bank details and relevant passwords and PIN numbers as an act of good faith - by the way, he doesn't like Guinness.

:afro::spam::cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In your OP you weren’t complaining in the slightest, just gently putting a reasonably question out there. Bizarrely you received a couple of replies as if you’d been an ungrateful so and so. It’s a funny old game!

It is indeed. Its a wonder that every thread on here doesn't degenerate into.........oh. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

kennyb

May 23, 2004
I think you are absolutely within your rights to raise an eyebrow. It's a peurile excuse. Do ANY buildings in this country, or anywhere else for that matter that are three - or even two - storeys high that have a lift refuse to let you use that lift on the way up, just in case you can't then use it on the way down? Of course not. It's the club putting their own employees operational needs above the needs of customers. Nothing more, nothing less.

absolutely this, most offices have lifts of three or floors can you imagine any employer telling their staff they cant use lifts in morning in case a fire occurs

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I’ve only skim read the thread but I can confirm that lifts can be used in a fire if they are designed as evacuation lifts. Amongst other things this requires fire rated enclosures, fire rated lobby protection and dual power supply. There are also firefighting lifts (do you think fire fighters will climb to the top story of the Shard to tackle a fire!) designed along similar lines but with the added protection of a smoke ventilation system.

On the point of providing lift access but no lift escape this is normally dealt with by providing disabled refuges and evacuation chairs. Presumably the West Upper was designed with no public access lifts (just goods lifts) and therefore no disabled refuge and evacuation chair provisions.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
absolutely this, most offices have lifts of three or floors can you imagine any employer telling their staff they cant use lifts in morning in case a fire occurs

But they will have disabled refuges and procedures in place for carrying down disabled occupants. Presumably the West Upper doesn’t have these facilities.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It is indeed. Its a wonder that every thread on here doesn't degenerate into.........oh. :lolol:

Have you ever had a glance at threads on comeonboro or readytogo ? Fans seem in constant warfare with each other, with barely veiled threats about "meeting up". They make Sussex & Faversham seem a very civilised part of the football world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here