Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A work colleague was reading it online earlier. From what she told me the person's fridge caught fire, so they (reportedly) packed a suitcase, knocked on their neighbours door to tell them to leave, and THEN called the emergency services.

Quite a lot of things odd there.

Clearly, it's probably lies, as it's in the Mail.

Why wouldn't you try and put a small fire out first ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A work colleague was reading it online earlier. From what she told me the person's fridge caught fire, so they (reportedly) packed a suitcase, knocked on their neighbours door to tell them to leave, and THEN called the emergency services.

even IF it is true, naming him is not going to help anyone....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

"Grenfell Tower resident Maryam Adam claims to have seen Mr X with suitcases when he banged on neighbours' doors after calling 999."

That's the wording from The Sun. Not sure which of those two publications you'd believe over the other. Pictures of him plastered all over their website as well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
"Grenfell Tower resident Maryam Adam claims to have seen Mr X with suitcases when he banged on neighbours' doors after calling 999."

That's the wording from The Sun. Not sure which of those two publications you'd believe over the other. Pictures of him plastered all over their website as well.

Ok, so the 2 papers have the door knocking and call to the fire brigade as in the opposite order. It's kind of important to get all of this accurate, or keep quiet, otherwise he could get lynched.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Ok, so the 2 papers have the door knocking and call to the fire brigade as in the opposite order. It's kind of important to get all of this accurate, or keep quiet, otherwise he could get lynched.

I wonder if the Daily Mail has a possible reason for highlighting in its headline that he is an "Ethiopian taxi driver"? Can't imagine what that reason might be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For a few years I was in charge of Health & Safety at one of our beloved Philip Green's flagship stores on Western Rd. Fire routes were continually being blocked and I mean blocked so that you couldn't even move through them at all, piled high with fittings, manequins, stock etc. The store manager would never listen and never do anything about it. People would always miss signing out or back for lunch breaks no matter how many times I explained that if there was a fire and you were still signed in but you were down the road in McDonalds a firefighter would likely have to risk their life trying to find you in the building or worse for you if you are signed out but are actually trapped in a store room or toilet somewhere .

I had to repeat myself so many times I felt like Gareth in The Office, Mr Boring health and safety. But the point I kept trying to get across is we don't do these things to avoid getting a bollocking we do them to avoid people DYING.

All seems very jobsworth until something like this happens. All so very avoidable too.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wonder if the Daily Mail has a possible reason for highlighting in its headline that he is an "Ethiopian taxi driver"? Can't imagine what that reason might be.

Oh, I was unaware. How sadly unsurprising.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, what?

I mean why on EARTH would you facilitate ghouls by posting a link to 'We're not going to make it' - Harrowing final messages sent by residents trapped in Grenfell Tower blaze'. Hopefully an error of judgement that will be deleted in the interests of common decency. Let the ghouls find that link for themselves if they're really that interested, not via NSC.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I mean why on EARTH would you facilitate ghouls by posting a link to 'We're not going to make it' - Harrowing final messages sent by residents trapped in Grenfell Tower blaze'. Hopefully an error of judgement that will be deleted in the interests of common decency. Let the ghouls find that link for themselves if they're really that interested, not via NSC.

There are many reasons people read such things, not all are ghoulish. Some people deal with things by having full knowledge of incidents. Not something I wish to read but everyone is different. Some read things to remind them how precious their loved ones are and how lucky they are. Some to remind them of the dangers of fire etc and the real effect it cn have on real people. It brings it home.
It's like reading about the holocaust. It's harrowing and personal and devastating but important to some to know details. Not everyone who reads WW2 literature is a ghoul.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There are many reasons people read such things, not all are ghoulish. Some people deal with things by having full knowledge of incidents. Not something I wish to read but everyone is different. Some read things to remind them how precious their loved ones are and how lucky they are. Some to remind them of the dangers of fire etc and the real effect it cn have on real people. It brings it home.
It's like reading about the holocaust. It's harrowing and personal and devastating but important to some to know details. Not everyone who reads WW2 literature is a ghoul.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. Got any links to ISIS beheading vids you'd like to post on here? Just to remind ghouls and non-ghouls alike of the dangers of falling into the hands of ISIS etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The fact there will be a full public inquiry is hopeful. Hopeful that we will never see this happen again, and bring anyone to blame to justice. But this will never atone for this horrific event. I just hope we shall never see it repeated again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Whilst respecting your views, this isn't a link to some dark corner of the internet that includes gruesome photos and videos that would never make mainstream media. It's an article in one of the UK's newspaper sites.

And whilst I didn't go out of my way to seek it out - it came up in my perusing of the News app on my phone, and whilst it's also a distressing read - I'm glad I did read it. As I posted above, it helped to escalate my own thoughts regarding this horrific tragedy. I included the title so it's very clear what it is and people could make their own choice to make the click or not.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst respecting your views, this isn't a link to some dark corner of the internet that includes gruesome photos and videos that would never make mainstream media. It's an article in one of the UK's newspaper sites.

And whilst I didn't go out of my way to seek it out - it came up in my perusing of the News app on my phone, and whilst it's also a distressing read - I'm glad I did read it. As I posted above, it helped to escalate my own thoughts regarding this horrific tragedy. I included the title so it's very clear what it is and people could make their own choice to make the click or not.

Fair enough mate. Though I'd question the motives of anybody who wanted to click on that link. Because it's not like you couldn't imagine what it would be like to be trapped on the 20th floor of a burning building with no means of escape but with a fully functional mobile phone to contact your loved ones or the emergency services.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sorry - are you suggesting that the firefighters should have thrown caution to the wind and gone steaming in, whatever the cost?

The Fire service have to make assessments constantly whilst fighting fires. Their clothing isn't impregnable, and losing firefighters helps nobody.

That's a heck of an allegation by any paper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here