Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where are you on the UK fat scale?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To be fair it wasn't a rant at you - more the system. The school implied very heavily in favour of BMI but we just destroyed the letter and didn't tell Miss W about it. My problem with it is that it seems to have become the defacto standard - just look at the BBC article - with no warnings given around it's weaknesses.

I'm very pleased you didn't tell your daughter about it. Girls have more problems with anorexia than being overweight. She sounds very fit and active, and of course, you're right, puberty makes a huge difference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair to the article it does highlight that it isn't an exact science, and that there are other factors:

Your BMI is 23.4 which is in the healthy category.
BMI is a standard way of measuring if people are a healthy weight for their height. For most adults 18.5 to 24.9 is the healthy range.

Your age group
Your BMI is lower than the average of 28.8 for a man in your age group (55-64) in England.
About 79% of men in your age group in England are overweight, obese or very obese.

Your part of the UK
In all parts of the UK, the majority of the adult population is overweight, obese or very obese, according to the latest national surveys.
In the East of England, the figure is about 71% of men.

BMI data is gatherered through self measurement so may be an underestimate

What does this mean for you?
You're in the healthy range which is great. Research shows that having a healthy BMI can reduce your risk of serious health problems, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some cancers.
But not all people with a BMI in this range have a lower risk. Other factors such as smoking, high blood cholesterol or high blood pressure will increase your risk.

If you're of Asian descent you have a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes at a lower BMI and waist circumference. A healthy BMI for you would be 18.5-23.

Your waist size
BMI is not the only way of measuring whether you are a healthy weight.
Doctors say that carrying too much fat around your belly can increase your risk of health problems. Excess fat in this area can stress internal organs - even if your BMI is in the healthy range.

Your waist size is 86.4cm (34 inches)

For men, the NHS says a waist size of:
94cm (37 inches) or more means an increased risk of health problems
102cm (40 inches) or more means a very high risk of health problems

People from non-white ethnic groups may be at risk at a lower waist size

Quite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm very pleased you didn't tell your daughter about it. Girls have more problems with anorexia than being overweight. She sounds very fit and active, and of course, you're right, puberty makes a huge difference.

....and the simple fact of being female makes a difference.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like, and still climb into your 26-inch-waist trousers and zip them closed.

Then you reach that age - 24, 25 - your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat *******.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
26.8 or 40% into the overweight sector. Not as bad as I thought. Comfortable with this.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Don't need to answer any of the questions to know the answer

****ing fat.

The last 10 years have been a steady slide from just overweight, to frigging enormous..
Need to start reversing that

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
26 for me, little spurts of 5;2 works to keep me okish.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Your BMI is 24.9 which is in the healthy category.

Your BMI is lower than the average of 26.4 for a man in your age group (25-34) in England.

Currently got my ass on a diet getting beach body ready.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
22.7 and healthy at 50

all good other than that heart attack/cancer that could possibly be round the corner

good to be healthy and feeling good when alive though

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
22.7 and healthy at 50

all good other than that heart attack/cancer that could possibly be round the corner

good to be healthy and feeling good when alive though
Not worrying about strokes then.............that's when my first one landed. Just after my youngest arrived.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I have a BMI of 24.7 which is just on the "healthy" scale in the UK. Funnily enough I had a health check at work 2 weeks ago and got the results this morning.

According to the Japanese, I'm a fat B'Stard.

What do they know.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The stats back up what I see in the mirror, overweight with a BMI of 25!

I’ll celebrate not being obese by eating some cake.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here