Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] #StrikerFail - who is to blame?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sit on the fence. :facepalm: Mr Bloom is where the blame lies he's in charge ffs.

You don't know what remit or tools he gave to the staff. You don't know who's to blame any more than I do.
Unbelievably it took till #19 before someone came up with the answer.
As it's TB, he is the leader, he is the employer, and most importantly for the Albion, he has all the money.

It doesn't matter what tools (money) he gave his staff, what is apparent and has been for x years he didn't give enough.

We are blinded by this legendary status, and that's not being called into question now, it's a simple question with a simple answer.
I have no idea why 'the club' has refused to learn it's lessons, but the simple fact is it hasn't.

Throwing desperate, and even then starting off low balling with unrealistic bids at the 11th hour, shows a level of stupidity/arrogance/naivety towards yet another transfer market that has to come from the very top.

I disagree. As I've said in other threads, Ulloa was £8m 3 years ago. Strikers haven't gone up that much.
Not really. We've been trying and failing to get more strikers in each of the last 3 windows, so it's not like we didn't know it was difficult. This really is unacceptably bad.
If only people had noticed and mentioned that before.

We've had a succession of excuses about over cooked, bubbles, hyper inflation the bottom line is the club has refused to play the game when it comes to strikers, and finally in the one season it really matters, it's gonna bite them so hard in the arse it'll take years (and millions of pounds) to recover.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whoever changed the title of the SINGING thread to SIGNING.

Change it back, please - we may even get a free agent.

:facepalm:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Looking at other teams signings there are very few who fit into the pattern we were after-either type or price. Our recruitment team appears to have been involved in about 8 (yes eight) players who roughly fitted the bill. So I don't think you can blame the recruitment team. So it can only be TB. He was not willing to pay for players who our medical team were not happy with or he was not willing to spend limitless pots of money on unproven players.

No doubt it's a mess and I'm pretty certain that the top brass are dissapointed but they, like ourselves, are going to have to make the most of what we have. And we need to get behind the team and not groan every time a goal is missed or saved. At least TB didn't spunk a fortune on a dud.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Definitely not the recruitment team , they identified a number of targets this window for a striker and we couldn't get any of them over the line .

I think the reason is that we set out with a budget for a striker and during this window prices seem to have risen a lot more than we expected and we didn't adapt this to our bids .

Once we sealed promotion a few weeks before everyone else , we were saying we had more time to prepare than other teams, well what ever happened to that !

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Presumably the recruitment team should also know about pre existing medical conditions of players they had reportedly been watching over many months even seasons! To have two failed medicals on top targets strikes a little of incompetence. It should be the recruitments team responsibility to find out as much as possible about the target player, which includes dodgy knees and heart conditions! They need to get it right for January which is 5 long months away!

Do you really think that clubs are going to broadcast the medical problems that their players have? Goldson's condition only hit the headlines because it meant he was sidelined immediately and needed surgery and this needed explanation.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think it's a strategy thing myself, so Barber.

Waiting for Abraham to decide, which given he was also away playing seemed to waste a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Back in the Championship we looked for decent Championship level players and we were an attractive proposition as we had good facilities and those who joined us had a reasonable chance of getting to play in the Premier League.

In the Premiership we looked for Premiership players and we are not an attractive proposition. Potential players see us as a Championship club in waiting and therefore the only ones who would want to join us are those who can't se any other route to getting into a Premiership club. Those already in a Premiership club are bound to see going us as a step down.

The only solution to look either overseas or to the lower league. And even lower league players will see other clubs as a better bet than us - Burnley, for example, have spent several years working out how to get points in the Premier League and are now a fairly good bet for players after more of a Premier League career.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Targets should have been identified months and months ago. This is utter incompetence tat who ever is trying to get the deals done.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Oh just leave it. He isn't even the shortest keeper in the premier league!
All you lot will be so happy when we go down. All you are proving is some fans don't even deserve to watch premier league football. It is pathetic and embarrassing the amount of whining and moaning on here recently.

Fully agree .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Back in the Championship we looked for decent Championship level players and we were an attractive proposition as we had good facilities and those who joined us had a reasonable chance of getting to play in the Premier League.

In the Premiership we looked for Premiership players and we are not an attractive proposition. Potential players see us as a Championship club in waiting and therefore the only ones who would want to join us are those who can't se any other route to getting into a Premiership club. Those already in a Premiership club are bound to see going us as a step down.

The only solution to look either overseas or to the lower league. And even lower league players will see other clubs as a better bet than us - Burnley, for example, have spent several years working out how to get points in the Premier League and are now a fairly good bet for players after more of a Premier League career.

But they could have had relegation get out clauses. Jansen isn't going to get near first team football this season, but seemingly prefers a larger paycheck than 35 starts in the PL.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Paul Barber strikes me as the sort who would rather not do a deal unless it's at the terms he dictates!! I have a strong suspicion that he is in the middle of this cluster****

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Adone had a £27m release clause and wanted to come. My guessing is we didn't offer the price despite being completely desperate

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Blame is a tough word but the chairman and ceo define the strategy and the ceo implements it.

I think the failed medicals whilst frustrating, cant be held at any body on the recruitment side. Both seemed to need expert medical tests to identify and i suspect we are more risk averse that bigger clubs given the need for more care on how we use the cash.

But as [MENTION=12901]CheeseRolls[/MENTION] said. The player we are looking at doesnt exist in the club structure. Its not like we even have 'one for the future' that meets the tall fast man up top.

So i can only assume the recruitment team keep udentifying players but they are either unrealistic given our budget or our budget is unrealistic given our circumstances. That one question will lead to where the blame lies

boik

New favourites for the drop with every single bookie on oddschecker. Says it all. A friend did some analysis on when our matches against those in our mini league within the season, relative to other teams in our mini league. The balance of ours occur in the middle third of the season. That starts in 10 games time. We will have no one, so we will fail in the critical games against teams in our mini league. Our most difficult segment is our final third, and even if we do get big names in, it will be too late, and still very unlikely we'll defeat the big boys. Analytically, therefore, rather than bedwettingly, I believe thendie is already cast now.

Jeez, I hope the players aren't as defeatist as some of our fans! Gonna be hard, but no need to surrender just yet.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paul Barber strikes me as the sort who would rather not do a deal unless it's at the terms he dictates!! I have a strong suspicion that he is in the middle of this cluster****
But he's not though.
One man, and one man alone is in the middle of it, everybody else is in orbit around him.
Sure some (Barber-out) are close enough to touch him, but they most definitely are not in the middle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Blame is a tough word but the chairman and ceo define the strategy and the ceo implements it.

I think the failed medicals whilst frustrating, cant be held at any body on the recruitment side. Both seemed to need expert medical tests to identify and i suspect we are more risk averse that bigger clubs given the need for more care on how we use the cash.

But as [MENTION=12901]CheeseRolls[/MENTION] said. The player we are looking at doesnt exist in the club structure. Its not like we even have 'one for the future' that meets the tall fast man up top.

So i can only assume the recruitment team keep udentifying players but they are either unrealistic given our budget or our budget is unrealistic given our circumstances. That one question will lead to where the blame lies

Very well thought out post. This all day long.

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London
Targets should have been identified months and months ago. This is utter incompetence tat who ever is trying to get the deals done.

And you honestly don't think that they were? Astounding. That isn't the problem!

I think our recruitment team seem to have done a decent job. We had a long list of targets identified and it looks like Winstanley and the team did exactly what they were supposed to do. It's not their fault that players failed medicals or the people (person) that control the purse strings went in too low / didn't offer enough wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here