Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eurovision 2017 - The Sweepstake

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Ooh, Sweden ....there's a bit of form there.

Know nothing about the song though

Sweden's is very good, I'm an ardent Eurovision fan and will be making the jaunt to the Duke of Yorks again this year - cracking night.

I've been checking out the Eurovision channel and it seems they are pushing for Italy to win, catchy and gimmicky so should be there. The Swedish entry is very polished and could easily be remixed for a club hit (much like Euphoria). They are also pushing Spain which is, frankly, not that good.

Some notes:

France/Germany - both half decent, the German entry looks like Lagertha form Vikings.
UK - great song and the dress rehearsal setup looks good as as well. Very simple, we've not had a female ballad for a while. I reckon we could place top 10.
Latvia - anyone remember 90s punk/pop? Bizarre.
Moldova - unique use of a bouquet

As stated Italy is the favourite, I can see why but unsure the gimmick will work too well. If you get the time check out the Swedish entry the video is very good and it ticks a number of boxes (good looking, inventive dance moves, clubland hit).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Go on Netherlands

netherlands-2017-og3ne-8.jpg

Y, Y, Y*

*if the other 2 weren't available

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I guess I just need to hope San Marino are better at singing than they are at football.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Come on Romania........

Average looking girl but at least i have a chance.. judging by the bookies

Capture.JPG

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some notes:

UK - great song and the dress rehearsal setup looks good as as well. Very simple, we've not had a female ballad for a while. I reckon we could place top 10.

Top 10?!? Do me a favour, does the word 'Brexit' mean nothing to you? If we get ANY points it will be cause for celebration, even Russia are more popular than us.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Top 10?!? Do me a favour, does the word 'Brexit' mean nothing to you? If we get ANY points it will be cause for celebration, even Russia are more popular than us.

Yep. She's as high as 60/1 with some bookies to win. She's as low 14/1 to get nil points.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bloody hell, there are a lot of dull ballads so far this year.

As for my own chances with Portugal...oh well, there's always next year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Eliminated in the preliminary rounds, story of my life

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

Given we've been finishing in the bottom 10 for the past five years I think it would be difficult to qualify what effect Brexit had were we to repeat this. Generally speaking a number of factors influence why we finish where we do. Quality of the song, act, singing slot and how we pushed the song all have a large input.

I think we also suffer from not being in the semis at it gives you a chance to showcase your song a bit and build up support. Take Moldova, 150/1 to win before last night and their odds are around 40/1, of course that'll be mostly because they got through but social media was going nuts for the "epic sax guy". Being in the semis is a risk but it does give you momentum and plenty of airtime.

Eurovision tends to be segregated from politics, Russia was very unpopular given the invasion of the Ukraine. They came third. But if you do think that Brexit will make a difference it's worth considering how many non-EU countries are in the contest and of those that are you'd need each to be wholly critical of the UK for Brexit (not something I think is the case, take Greece for example).

Anyway, my bet, Sweden did ok but they didn't light the place up. For the first time in a while we have a very good female ballad, nice staging and good song. In short a good chance of doing well. Fingers crossed.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Results from the first Semi Final:

QUALIFIED FOR THE FINAL:

SWEDEN ("It's My Time" by Robin Bengtsson) - [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]
AUSTRALIA ("Don't Come Easy" by Isaiah Firebrace) - [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION]
BELGIUM ("City Lights" by Blanche) - [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION]
AZERBAIJAN ("Skeletons" by Dihaj) - [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION]
PORTUGAL ("Amar Pelos Dois" by Salvador Sobral) - [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]
GREECE ("This Is Love" by Demy) - [MENTION=16843]Hillian1[/MENTION]
POLAND ("Flashlight" by Kasia Mos) - [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION]
MOLDOVA ("Hey, Mamma!" by Sunstroke Project) - [MENTION=13022]Brighton4Cambridge3[/MENTION]
CYPRUS ("Gravity" by Hovig) - [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION]
ARMENIA ("Fly With Me" by Artsvik) - [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION]

ELIMINATED:

GEORGIA ("Keep The Faith" by Tamara Gachechiladze) - [MENTION=3]Trigger[/MENTION]
ALBANIA ("World" by Lindita) - [MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION]
MONTENEGRO ("Space" by Slavo Kalezic) - [MENTION=10700]Geordie Seagull[/MENTION]
FINLAND ("Blackbird" by Norma John) - [MENTION=5194]NEASTGULL[/MENTION]
ICELAND ("Paper" by Svala) - [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
CZECH REPUBLIC ("My Turn" by Martina Barta) - [MENTION=13645]SUIYHP[/MENTION]
SLOVENIA ("On My Way" by Omar Naber) - [MENTION=23268]angmering albion[/MENTION]
LATVIA ("Line" by Triana Park) - [MENTION=34524]Frankie[/MENTION]

Eliminated in the preliminary rounds, story of my life

Wrong, you have Armenia who qualified safely. :thumbsup:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bloody hell, there are a lot of dull ballads so far this year.

As for my own chances with Portugal...oh well, there's always next year.

Don't know how true this is since results are not out officially (so don't shoot the messenger) but bookmakers have connections at telecommunications companies around the world who tip them off on these things.

Apparently Portugal won last nights semi final, so maybe your bet isn't lost just yet. I don't follow gambling that closely but check prices before and after to see what bookmakers have done and that should give you a guide as to whether it might be true or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here