Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the older fans

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looking through Monday's programme, I note that the Liverpool game in 1958/59 kicked off at 5.30,

This was, of course, pre-floodlights so what was it like watching a game with no lights. This match was in late September so would have been decidedly gloomy by the end of the game - could fans see what was going on?

And did the lack of floodlights mean no midweek fixtures between October and March? How did they fit all the games in, particularly with the season starting two weeks later than now and finishing two weeks earlier? I know that there are no international breaks to fit in but don't see how it was done?

I also note that the attendance for the Liverpool game was a lot lower than the Saturday games. Was there less of an atmosphere for midweek games.

I know this nothing to do with promotion to PL but until I saw the kick-off time, I'd not thought about this before

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Looking through Monday's programme, I note that the Liverpool game in 1958/59 kicked off at 5.30,

This was, of course, pre-floodlights so what was it like watching a game with no lights. This match was in late September so would have been decidedly gloomy by the end of the game - could fans see what was going on?

And did the lack of floodlights mean no midweek fixtures between October and March? How did they fit all the games in, particularly with the season starting two weeks later than now and finishing two weeks earlier? I know that there are no international breaks to fit in but don't see how it was done?

I also note that the attendance for the Liverpool game was a lot lower than the Saturday games. Was there less of an atmosphere for midweek games.

I know this nothing to do with promotion to PL but until I saw the kick-off time, I'd not thought about this before

No league cup in 58/59 and games were played on Christmas and Boxing days.
I got suspended from work for going to an FA cup replay on a Wednesday afternoon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't think League Cup was relevant as they're only played midweek.

Yes, there's Christmas Day but that's just one game.

I note that there are only 42 games, so that makes a difference. But there were more in the lower divisions, so how did they manage it?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
One thing to consider is that the stands weren't as high so the effects of the sun going down wouldn't have been as extreme as now.

Same at Wimbledon where play continues on outer courts after it is suspended on centre and court one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A kick off at 5.30 meant finishing at 7.10 as there was only 10 mins for half time and no added stoppage time as per now. In September it would stay light until about 7.45 - 8.00pm so perfectly ok to finish a game in good light. It must also be remembered that at Easter we played 3 games and I remember Chesterfield away Good Friday, Southend at home Saturday and Southend away Monday I may have actually mixed up Good Friday and Saturday and going to Chesterfield on Saturday.. The night we beat Watford to gain our very first promotion was played with I think a 7.00pm kick off and no lights..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought everything was at 3 on a Saturday? I thought tv was the reason for late kick offs?

I'm fairly sure I remember some mid-week matches being played in the afternoon - cup replays, perhaps? And in the depth of winter, didn't they kick off earlier than three o'clock on the Saturdays because of the light (or lack of it)? By 4:30-4:45 ish it would have been almost full dark!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some games kicked off Saturdays at 2.00pm in winter and mid week cup replays. The most notorious of cup replays our 4 - 0 defeat to Walton was an afternoon kick off replay. Junior leagues kicked off at 1.00pm on many ocassions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A kick off at 5.30 meant finishing at 7.10 as there was only 10 mins for half time and no added stoppage time as per now. In September it would stay light until about 7.45 - 8.00pm so perfectly ok to finish a game in good light.

Would it though? I played evening cricket last season and by early Sep it was very gloomy around 7.45 - later that month would have been darker. And what if it were overcast: 7.10 on an autumn night would have been pretty crepuscular?

And this business about no stoppage time? Did that mean even if it was a really bad injury? What when Clough was permanently injured or Derek Dooley's leg break was bad it had to be amputated? Those must have been lengthy injury breaks - would no time be added, even if 10 minutes had been lost?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Me too! I though, "older fans, must be about the 1970s" and instead it's the 1950s!

1958? Wasn't even bloody born mate! (Well I was, but I was only one)

Sorry, I meant older than I am :)

But that wasn't very clear ....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would it though? I played evening cricket last season and by early Sep it was very gloomy around 7.45 - later that month would have been darker. And what if it were overcast: 7.10 on an autumn night would have been pretty crepuscular?

And this business about no stoppage time? Did that mean even if it was a really bad injury? What when Clough was permanently injured or Derek Dooley's leg break was bad it had to be amputated? Those must have been lengthy injury breaks - would no time be added, even if 10 minutes had been lost?

I cannot remember those exact injuries and how much time if any was added but I was thinking more on the lines of the game now have a minimum of 1 min added to each half and that didnt happen eg Huddersfield scoring a penalty in the 6th minute of injury time. Also there were no subs so no time added for them.

As regards getting murky it is a lot easier to see and chase a football in failing light rather than a cricket ball bowled by a fast bowler going towards a batsman's head.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the salient point was made earlier that we had proper days then so it would have been lighter longer into the evening...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I suspect the answer is that we had double British Summer Time then. Finished in 1959.

arich264

A rich *******
A kick off at 5.30 meant finishing at 7.10 as there was only 10 mins for half time and no added stoppage time as per now. In September it would stay light until about 7.45 - 8.00pm so perfectly ok to finish a game in good light. It must also be remembered that at Easter we played 3 games and I remember Chesterfield away Good Friday, Southend at home Saturday and Southend away Monday I may have actually mixed up Good Friday and Saturday and going to Chesterfield on Saturday.. The night we beat Watford to gain our very first promotion was played with I think a 7.00pm kick off and no lights..

Actually BG the promotion game against Watford in 1958 started at 6.15 pm, I still remember it with great fondness.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here