Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are gas barbecues cheating?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do behave, Just because you're not MAN enough to handle an open flame, don't come on here giving it the biggun about your little kitchen hob.

I don't just BBQ either. I got me a SMOKER. Shove a rack of ribs in the main chamber, scatter some hickory smoked woodchips amongst the coals in the side one, and 4 hours later you've got yourself some prime flavoured pork, just falling off the bone. #redneck

[tweet]1020820467194744834[/tweet]

4hrs later (FOUR HOURS!), handy for weeknights eh? As for falling off the bone, that’s today’s pampered society right there! Get yourself a T bone and rip away the FLESH with your TEETH*, gnaw the vertebrae into a useful TOOL afterwards like a real MAN. Heck, sometimes I just eat my steaks plain RAW and ignore the SALAD

*don't forget to floss

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Gas BBQ's just don't taste any different to oven cooked food that is eaten outside.

I also quite like sitting around waiting for the food to cook in its own time, its very relaxing. Although I tend not to be chef outside so perhaps thats what I like about it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For a combination of safer cooking, ease of use, blending with the social side of BBQing and a place to rest your beer when two hands are needed, gas all day.

For the smokey, chargrilled effect over wet wood with a hint of pine, ponce about with one of those coal things.

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Just can't beat charcoal IMO. It's not just the taste that's better, I really enjoy the whole process of getting the thing prepared and lit properly then love watching it burn until it's 'cook' ready. It can be quite an art form getting it right if you're cooking things other than burgers & sausages. Think we're breaking the record for BBQ"s this summer in our household, on the 6th or 7th bag of charcoal already. Long may it continue.

I just think a gas BBQ as purely an outside cooker, convenient but not quite the same, is it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Had a reasonably expensive charcoal BBQ it was rubbish cooking was poor, grill rusted and fell apart, replaced it with a gas BBQ that too was rubbish, now - Weber Master Touch BBQ (4+ years old now and not a spot of rust), Weber Chimney starter (no lighter fluid, chemicals or starter blocks required), rotisserie, charcoal, friends, drinks and sun, perfect.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Had a reasonably expensive charcoal BBQ it was rubbish cooking was poor, grill rusted and fell apart, replaced it with a gas BBQ that too was rubbish, now - Weber Master Touch BBQ (4+ years old now and not a spot of rust), Weber Chimney starter (no lighter fluid, chemicals or starter blocks required), rotisserie, charcoal, friends, drinks and sun, perfect.
Weber is the way to go.

I’m nailing it meal after meal with my gas-powered barbecue, but feel strangely unfulfilled. Like I have given up on mastering real fire.
Are gas barbecues a sign of weakness?

Why not just ask your husband to do it If you can't?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No.

Really? What sort of food are you nailing and how exactly is it being nailed, since you're not getting that smoky bbq flavour?

Posh Burgers and sausages mainly, but also fish and prawns.
You do get the smokey flavour to an extent as there’s charcoal, or an equivalent, in the bottom.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
100% yes. It's just cooking, which is for girls. Whereas barbecuing is for MEN. You already knew this though or you wouldn't have had to ask the QUESTION.

This maybe so, but a womans work is never done..........that's why the blokes end up doing it:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’m nailing it meal after meal with my gas-powered barbecue, but feel strangely unfulfilled. Like I have given up on mastering real fire.

Not at all, it’s horses for courses and whatever suits what you want to cook. For convenience I use a Weber gas bbq, if I’m smoking I’ll use my Aquaforno or my Weber kettle. If it’s straight forward grilling then the Weber or my bog standard charcoal grill, if I’m feeling fancy I use my Tokat Mangali.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Palace fans use one of the freestanding cookers that are in their front gardens, just run an extension lead out and the whole neighbourhood joins in.
Also able to keep the lager cold in the front garden fridge as well.
Other white goods are also readily available ( and sofas)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Posh Burgers and sausages mainly, but also fish and prawns.
I'm stuck with a gas bbq - not through choice. I make nice smash burgers using a skillet, but I'm interested in these posh burgers you speak of (don't panic, I mean the recipe, rather than an invite).

You do get the smokey flavour to an extent as there’s charcoal, or an equivalent, in the bottom.
Eh? You what do you put and burn at the bottom? I'd be interested in smoke boxes (little boxes that you put wood inside), but I understand even they're not much use, as a gas bbq has too much airflow, whereas a proper bbq would leave the kettle full of smoke.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My word. I bet you make salads for you BBQ events as well :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here