Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

♫Glastonbury 2017♫

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would rather listen to and watch Ariana Grande! I couldn't believe how good she was at the One Love gig.

Sheeran's no doubt very talented, but to me each song merges into the others. Similarly I couldn't stick the music of James Blunt, when everyone else in the UK thought of him as a musical god.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not a massive fan of the rapping he does, but he can pen one hell of a song. He can make the crowd bounce and sing in one song, then well up with tears the next song - few can do that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why does the guitar keep playing when he stops strumming?
He has recorders set up around him, he's basically a one man band, not my favourite but quite talented

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I would rather listen to and watch Ariana Grande! I couldn't believe how good she was at the One Love gig.

Sheeran's no doubt very talented, but to me each song merges into the others. Similarly I couldn't stick the music of James Blunt, when everyone else in the UK thought of him as a musical god.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it must be a lonely path you follow at times...

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not a vintage Glastonbury for me.

Nothing stood out as a truly "wow" moment that will mark the 2017 festival down as anything special. Probably no bad thing that it takes a break next year and hopefully will come back with some great performances in 2019.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sheeran's no doubt very talented, but to me each song merges into the others. Similarly I couldn't stick the music of James Blunt, when everyone else in the UK thought of him as a musical god.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it must be a lonely path you follow at times...

I try to get by, taking each day as it comes. Always fearful of being outed in day to day life as the only UK resident not into Blunt and Sheeran. Everyone has their cross to bear I suppose.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I try to get by, taking each day as it comes. Always fearful of being outed in day to day life as the only UK resident not into Blunt and Sheeran. Everyone has their cross to bear I suppose.

Yes, I'm sure being so outside the mainstream can be quite a burden. Hang in there.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Sheeran is undoubtedly talented but it didn't really move me. I wonder if it has something to do with the loop pedal stuff. It has to be very precise and therefore risks coming across as mechanical. The magic of a band is some of the subtle interplay between each member - the slight stretching of the timing - giving a performance an on the edge feel to it. With all the looping - it sounds amazing and is incredibly clever but just fails to always excite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sheeran is undoubtedly talented but it didn't really move me. I wonder if it has something to do with the loop pedal stuff. It has to be very precise and therefore risks coming across as mechanical. The magic of a band is some of the subtle interplay between each member - the slight stretching of the timing - giving a performance an on the edge feel to it. With all the looping - it sounds amazing and is incredibly clever but just fails to always excite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think you've nailed it.

He's very talented and the skill to pull off the live performances that he does is indisputable. But it's just a bit.....meh once you've seen him do one song and said "oh wow, he's used that bit of singing at the start and that guitar slap loop at just the right moment, how clever....".

Compared to the truly great performances I've seen in the past few days (Foos, Stormzy) and the really good ones (First Aid Kit, Kano, LG and loads of others) I'd put Ed in the "had to turn over to something better" category, along with Radiohead (which surprised me as I'm no massive fan but appreciate their quality, they were poor).

Capable of more? Not sure he is really, but he won't care as millions adore him so my opinion is irrelevant.

That Foo Fighters set though.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think you've nailed it.

He's very talented and the skill to pull off the live performances that he does is indisputable. But it's just a bit.....meh once you've seen him do one song and said "oh wow, he's used that bit of singing at the start and that guitar slap loop at just the right moment, how clever....".

Compared to the truly great performances I've seen in the past few days (Foos, Stormzy) and the really good ones (First Aid Kit, Kano, LG and loads of others) I'd put Ed in the "had to turn over to something better" category, along with Radiohead (which surprised me as I'm no massive fan but appreciate their quality, they were poor).

Capable of more? Not sure he is really, but he won't care as millions adore him so my opinion is irrelevant.

That Foo Fighters set though.....

The thing is, looping isn't particularly special or unique to Sheeran. It's been around for a couple of decades and many live performers use it from buskers on the street to A-listers. And to be fair to Sheeran I'm not sure he makes a big deal about it? It's just another instrument and the instrument he uses with his guitar. To say his looping is clever is like saying his guitar playing is clever. It may well be, but not because his guitar is a special and unique instrument.

He's not my cup of tea but he clearly has something which people like even if it is just his loop pedal.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I like Sheeran but they really got the order of the line up wrong - not many could have followed that Biffy set (who are arguably one of the best live festival acts in the world right now, and have been for a few years)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here