Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reports of a van driving into a crowd of people in Finsbury Park

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
At approx 4.15am this morning, I listened to a representative of ' British Muslim Youth ' being interviewed on Radio 5 Live. He hysterically attacked the presenter in the studio as to why there was no coverage of the event by the media. He was politely informed that the said radio station had been covering the event , since news of the attack broke. This didn't seem to placate the individual at all, who was demanding all sorts of action be taken.
As usual, certain individuals seem more intent on fanning the flames, than dousing the fire with calmness and reflection.

This is exactly what far right groups and those that believe in a radical form of Islam want.

Division.

Let's wait and see the full facts far to often we jump to conclusions, I am not surprised this has happened to be honest if it is true, however don't rule out a close friend or relative who has lost someone to a previous attack by extremists.

We have not been told the full facts of the Manchester bomb yet.

D

Deleted member 22389

At approx 4.15am this morning, I listened to a representative of ' British Muslim Youth ' being interviewed on Radio 5 Live. He hysterically attacked the presenter in the studio as to why there was no coverage of the event by the media. He was politely informed that the said radio station had been covering the event , since news of the attack broke. This didn't seem to placate the individual at all, who was demanding all sorts of action be taken.
As usual, certain individuals seem more intent on fanning the flames, than dousing the fire with calmness and reflection.

Yep I heard that too.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Islamophobia fuelled by xenophobia does have racist overtones. The perpetrator is usually to blame for this confusion in definition. Although the use of sectarian is permissible here it is usually used for sects within a religion, such as Protestant/Catholics or Shias/Sunnis.

It's the religion that creates the distrust in this case. Compare how Christian and Muslim Lebanese have assimilated into western societies. The Christian Lebanese look just like the Muslim Lebanese in physical appearance and yet their success and standings within communities is a vastly different outcome.

There's just way too many examples of the broader communities in 2017 accepting anyone of any background if they act just like the existing native population.

It's a clash of cultures more than anything.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's a global conflict of ideologies and cultures.
It doesn't have to be. You say conflict but both sides have the same aim which is not just to 'divide' but to create open conflict. We all - each and every one of us- have the choice as to whether we play their game, buy into the idea of some kind of inevitable ideological conflict - or reject it and recognise that the vast majority of us see the differences in religion race etc as entirely superficial compared to all those things that bind us together. The responses to the various atrocities recently have confirmed my belief that it is this latter view that will hold away in the UK. Which makes me proud.

Of course we have to respond to direct attacks and of course where ISIS have established a territorial hold then there is a need to fight back on the ground.

But here in the UK we can fight back most effectively in how we lead our lives. The conversations we have with family and friends. What we choose to share or not share on social media. How we explain what is happening to.our children. Our decisions to carry on with our free, liberal lifestyles. We hold the power to reject the whole idea of a 'conflict' and I hope we do so.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It doesn't have to be. You say conflict but both sides have the same aim which is not just to 'divide' but to create open conflict. We all - each and every one of us- have the choice as to whether we play their game, buy into the idea of some kind of inevitable ideological conflict - or reject it and recognise that the vast majority of us see the differences in religion race etc as entirely superficial compared to all those things that bind us together. The responses to the various atrocities recently have confirmed my belief that it is this latter view that will hold away in the UK. Which makes me proud.

Of course we have to respond to direct attacks and of course where ISIS have established a territorial hold then there is a need to fight back on the ground.

But here in the UK we can fight back most effectively in how we lead our lives. The conversations we have with family and friends. What we choose to share or not share on social media. How we explain what is happening to.our children. Our decisions to carry on with our free, liberal lifestyles. We hold the power to reject the whole idea of a 'conflict' and I hope we do so.

Who are the both sides out of interest?

Islam isn't compatible with 2017 western societies. It's one of the most backwards far right ideologies on the planet.

There's many articles written about the rise of the right around the world, yet none list Islam as a far right ideology which it is.

Extreme right only seems to be an issue when it's white men. People don't want the extreme right yet openly defend Islam. People need to open their eyes a bit more.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Anti-terrorism police were on site and dealing with the inquiry, and May had called it out as a terrorist act at the time you were typing.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...on-mosque-van-crash-police-dead-a7796596.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you check, I edited my post to say that it is now being looked at as a terrorist attack.

However The Met initially reported it as an RTC, Scotland Yard says anti terrorist officers were in the area, so dealt with accordingly. Now after looking at the method of attack it is being looked at as terrorist.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Strange how few comments there have been on this event a compared to the London Bridge attack.

Granted the timing may have meant it was past some on here's bedtime or are we just so used to it that it seems less newsworthy - or is it something else?

I was fast asleep at 01.55 this morning, and also at 05.44 when you posted your question.
Hope this helps.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Islam isn't compatible with 2017 western societies. It's one of the most backwards far right ideologies on the planet.

There's many articles written about the rise of the right around the world, yet none list Islam as a far right ideology which it is.

Extreme right only seems to be an issue when it's white men. People don't want the extreme right yet openly defend Islam. People need to open their eyes a bit more.

Most of the muslims I know don't harbour a far right ideology. I think it's your version of Islam that's the problem. Today, if the driver's demographic turns out to be true, he is still a terrorist. The right wing twats that outspokenly use anti-Islam repetitive shite to attack innocent muslims and encourage hate are as bad as the extremists.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He can't be expecting eternity in heaven with hot and cold running virgins, so what on earth drives someone so such a senseless and futile act?

I am pleased he has been arrested, and was taken down by the very people he was trying to terrorise and attack. Hopefully the police can learn something from him to help understand his motivation.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Most of the muslims I know don't harbour a far right ideology. I think it's your version of Islam that's the problem. Today, if the driver's demographic turns out to be true, he is still a terrorist. The right wing twats that outspokenly use anti-Islam repetitive shite to attack innocent muslims and encourage hate are as bad as the extremists.

Islam is not a progressive liberal ideology. It's ultra conservative.

Anyone in the west who is white and ultra conservative is considered a neo-con or leaning towards far right.

Their views aren't that dissimilar to Islams views on many issues.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Islam is not a far right ideology. Far right ideologies are followed by people of many faiths including those who profess to be Muslim but who's extremist ideas are not recognized by any of tne.Muslims I know. By your words you are doing the job of the radical Islamists. You are playing into their hands. You are an idiot...but most of us have known that for a while. Also you are not worth arguing with. I will leave it to others if they choose. I have had my say now and I'm out.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

50% there. Absolutely 100% correct that Britain First and Islamic Fundamentalists have far more in common than they do with the vast majority of people in the middle of them that get caught up in their symbiotic cross fire.

100% wrong that Islam is a 'far-right' ideology. Well, no more or less than any other mainstream religion, they're all 'small c' conservative. Also, Wahabbists, aren't representative of the entirety of the Islamic faith.

Anyway, how did we get into this?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Anyone in the west who is white and ultra conservative is considered a neo-con or leaning towards far right.

There are different forms of Islam. Jihadis kill Muslims every day. Look at what's happening in Syria, Iraq and elsewhere.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Islam is not a far right ideology. Far right ideologies are followed by people of many faiths including those who profess to be Muslim but who's extremist ideas are not recognized by any of tne.Muslims I know. By your words you are doing the job of the radical Islamists. You are playing into their hands. You are an idiot...but most of us have known that for a while. Also you are not worth arguing with. I will leave it to others if they choose. I have had my say now and I'm out.

Christopher Hitchens would have wiped the floor with a sop like you.

It's hilarious how you think these Muslims you know tell you their inner thoughts.

I played Gaelic Football once with what I thought was the most mild mannered Irishman i'd ever met, then one day politics was brought up. All of a sudden that mild mannered person started espousing some not so very mild mannered views. In fact he was a hardcore Republican with views I would never has associated with him.

Don't pretend you know what people truly think simply based on how they present themselves to you.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

https://imaanlondon.wordpress.com/

It can be progressive.

On the day London Bridge was attacked were you attacking the victims faiths?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here