Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Farron puts God before Politics

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
What is the difference between religion & politics?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm sure that you and others have the best of intentions and do some very good work. My concerns are with the lack of central planning and regulation. Resources are allocated by the church according to their priorities (rather than being democratically accountable) and the work is carried out by volunteers again only accountable to the church and lacking the checks that would be carried out on full time public officials. Similar applies to all non governmental charity work. It is not
something I am comfortable with. As I say though, I do acknowledge the good intentions of many in the church.

Sorry to take so long to come back on this, but.....
1. What do you mean by the "checks on public officials"? In terms of dealing with vulnerable people and the like, anybody who is doing anything for or with vulnerable people, which would include Children, would be subject very strictly to the DBS scheme - Disclosure and Barring Scheme. People from the Churches or other Faith Communities would be subject to exactly the same checks as anybody else irrespective of who they are working for.
2. And in terms of central planning and regulation, what is going in the West London at the moment with Grenfell Towers and what seems to be the complete inability of the local authority of Kensington and Chelsea to organise anything, while the Churches, other faith groups an other volunteers are getting on with it but desperately needing co-ordination, from what I have read, rather seems to blow this argument out of the water in terms of the capabilities of politicians or public officials.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I think there are two aspects to this
1) while he stated he voted for same sex marriage,he refused to answer whether same sex was a sin thereby getting tagged a homophobic.
2) Should we as a society be more tolerate towards all those that hold strong religious beliefs?

Your Point 2 took my mind back nearly forty years to the image of a fellow soldier who always knelt by his bed to say his prayers. I still find it absolutely incredible ( and very commendable) that NOBODY in my unit took the piss out of him nor would tolerate anyone interrupting those prayers. Quite staggering when I think what we could be like as typical young men outside that scenario. I've never forgotten that and am quite proud of it. He said he always put in a good word for us with the Man Upstairs.......

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sorry to take so long to come back on this, but.....
1. What do you mean by the "checks on public officials"? In terms of dealing with vulnerable people and the like, anybody who is doing anything for or with vulnerable people, which would include Children, would be subject very strictly to the DBS scheme - Disclosure and Barring Scheme. People from the Churches or other Faith Communities would be subject to exactly the same checks as anybody else irrespective of who they are working for.
2. And in terms of central planning and regulation, what is going in the West London at the moment with Grenfell Towers and what seems to be the complete inability of the local authority of Kensington and Chelsea to organise anything, while the Churches, other faith groups an other volunteers are getting on with it but desperately needing co-ordination, from what I have read, rather seems to blow this argument out of the water in terms of the capabilities of politicians or public officials.

The checks on public officials are the audited standards they work to and are something that the private sector needn't bother with in pursuit of its agenda of profit or influence. Church workers carry out the agenda of church officials. That agenda is unknown.
As to the recent tragedy in London I'm not going to get involved as the attacks on public sector officials in Kensington are, in my opinion, a politically motivated disgrace. I have no interest in getting involved in that debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here