Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'd like soft-Brexit (I think we could have got that with May anyway, as she'd have to back down from her starting point - she was a remainer too, so I don't see why she'd really want hard-Brexit), so watered down is fine by me. My concern is that it won't be watered down, it will just be a shit deal for the UK, as we've lost our unity.

My one hope on that is The DUP's position on the Irish border and Northern Ireland's trading position with the EU becomes a red line, making a soft-Brexit more likely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or, he stayed because the majority of the party members wanted him to...
Except the grassroots didn't want him gone and he stayed for them to change the political landscape in this country. And it's the grassroots that's helped Labour do so well, relatively speaking, despite so many against. I don't think that's self serving. He clearly deeply cares about many social issues and stayed to push through with them. To have gone he would have betrayed the Labour party members.
Yes fair enough.

It was only yesterday you were saying May was performing well in interviews etc.
Did I say interviews or interview? I watched her interview with Jon Snow and thought she was fine. I imagine avoiding many other interviews cost her votes, as did some of the policies (like fox hunting).

I mean literally what the ****? They're so out of touch with the general public. Why would you risk everything on poxy fox hunting FFS :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The new Irish PM says:

"We must ensure that the Brexit talks are handled in a smooth and coherent manner to secure the best possible outcome for Ireland, for Europe and the UK. The results of the UK election indicate to me that there is no strong mandate to proceed with a hard Brexit, which represents an opportunity for Ireland."

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
All good and correct. I like her as well. The problem with your suggestion is that ''Defectors'' get slaughtered by the media for being seen as disloyal and people begin to disbelieve what they are saying because they are only too willing to do a ''U-turn'' on anything the might be saying in the future.

I think she's more likely to become a senior figure within the Westminster set up.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Maybe (I'll come back to that), but it doesn't matter whether he was right or not, his MPs wanted him gone and he stayed through self interest. It's the same attitude he's showing now in saying that he should now be the Prime Minister. I'm sorry Jeremy, you didn't ****ing win!

Has he been vindicated? Well he's done better than expected and better than the last Labour leader, so he certainly has a case, but as May thought she'd win thanks to Corbyn, I think Corbyn has done better than expected thanks to May.

They have no choice but to back him now.

It will be interesting to see what happens with JC and the PLP too.....there are two ways of looking at their result....one he done great (football speak there:lol:) in the 6 weeks or so from when TM called the election and what a campaign he led, look how he closed the gap......or the other is Labour were so far behind before hand because of JC himself: to the public he is like marmite and that also actually he is not a good leader of the party and his shadow cabinet (which is different to running a good campaign which he has done). Theresa May run an abysmal campaign with unappealing policies based on the back of a Brexit vote that leaves us all in the fog and yet Labour are still in reality a long way from even a coalition let alone a majority (even if you add up all the "progressive parties" seats they are behind the Tories, JC maths seems to be as bad as Dianne Abbotts:lolol:)....also I think if the Tories can form a minority govt (as it looks like they will be doing with the DUP) the fixed term act is still law so that means that no election can now be called until 2022 (unless 2/3 of MP's vote for it??? which the Tories would only agree to if they think it is in there favour). That according to George Osbourne is still the situation, it is in the Tories 2017 manifesto to change the fixed term act, but all is off the table in respect of that after last nights result (ITV was very interesting and informative this morning) how old would Jezza be in June 2022....70+???

One thing is for sure as well, there is no way May will lead the Tories in another GE.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But that 6% is predominantly due to the returning UKIPpers, so they're not new votes per se, just old voters who've come back.

Scotland is a bit more interesting as they have picked up new voters there, but this is primarily because Scotland is the only part of the country where the Tory party had a clearly defined policy on anything - namely that they opposed a second independence referendum. Now the other parties see the appetite for this they can campaign on this too. Obviously the SNP aren't going to but Labour can embrace this with gusto and it won't take a great deal of persuading to get more Scots to go back to Labour. It's a little like the Lib Dem surge in Richmond to protest against Brexit, but then swinging straight back to the Tories at the earliest opportunity. The Scottish seats have made their point known on the Indy Ref, so can now go back to their Labour roots and those voters will be lost to the Tories once more

Old new or new old (?) voters then but May did attract them back to the fold.

The Remainer surge helping Labour in some Tory marginal seats will go the same way after Brexit has happened then. The Tories will have to broaden their appeal to a younger demographic if this doesn't turn out to be a one off surge of enthusiasm for voting. Plus it's probably worth pointing out people do get older (!) and generally turn more Conservative as they take on more responsibilities. Overall I think it's more that the Tories forgot the electorate don't like being taken for granted and told hard truths but do love free stuff .. it was ever thus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You thought that the negotiation of returning full sovereignty to the UK could be done by bypassing UK sovereignty?
No, I thought that parliament had already authorised the government to conduct the negotiations.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I thought the final deal had to be voted on as well? I.e. the point of the election was to give her a bigger majority for such an event? Otherwise what was the need for a bigger majority?

Haha, of course it does, Lords decided in March that MPs had to have "meaningful vote" on the Brexit outcome. This was the whole point of the bloody election in the first place to avoid any back-bench rebellion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The new Irish PM says:

"We must ensure that the Brexit talks are handled in a smooth and coherent manner to secure the best possible outcome for Ireland, for Europe and the UK. The results of the UK election indicate to me that there is no strong mandate to proceed with a hard Brexit, which represents an opportunity for Ireland."

He's an interesting chap.

Indian / Irish and gay. In Ireland. Amazing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think she's more likely to become a senior figure within the Westminster set up.

She's not an MP at the moment though ... and I can't imagine the Tories would be too happy about creating a by-election for her.

I've no idea whether she's a fanatical Tory or not but I do imagine that she's spitting about the DUP deal and it would be a good time for Labour to sound her out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My one hope on that is The DUP's position on the Irish border and Northern Ireland's trading position with the EU becomes a red line, making a soft-Brexit more likely.
But if we look like we have to accept the free movement of people etc, then it becomes something we can't use to negotiate with, as we have to have it. I'd rather we talked tough, and then back down later in exchange for a fair deal elsewhere.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
...also I think if the Tories can form a minority govt (as it looks like they will be doing with the DUP) the fixed term act is still law so that means that no election can now be called until 2022 (unless 2/3 of MP's vote for it??? which the Tories would only agree to if they think it is in there favour). That according to George Osbourne is still the situation, it is in the Tories 2017 manifesto to change the fixed term act, but all is off the table in respect of that after last nights result (ITV was very interesting and informative this morning) how old would Jezza be in June 2022....70+???

If there is a vote of No Confidence in the Government, an election can be called. I think that's the point of the references to the Queen's Speech and so on. If that doesn't get through, then it's effectively a vote of no confidence. Also, the Tories manifesto was to 'repeal' the Act, but like many of their other policies, they didn't actually say what they would replace it with. So, it's still live. After all a hung parliament doesn't mean the whole manifesto is out the window, but they can only get stuff through that others are okay with. So, if they all want to repeal it, they can do so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Haha, of course it does, Lords decided in March that MPs had to have "meaningful vote" on the Brexit outcome. This was the whole point of the bloody election in the first place to avoid any back-bench rebellion.

Aye.

That went well, didn't it? :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so why have people called for May to guarantee that EU nationals can stay, if that's not in her power to do anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here