Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Top Seven in the Premier League

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because of name and international fanbase I suppose, meaning that income follows investment and players want to come and stay :shrug: I mean why do Man City or Chelsea get millions thrown at them and become two of the biggest sides on the world, but it doesn't seem to work long-term at other clubs.

History, if an illustrious one and especially in modern times, does make a massive difference.

In 55 years, Spurs have have never won the league or European Cup (ever), sporadically winning a league cup or further back FAC's. They've rarely played in the CL and their ground has held just 36,000 for 20 years.

Liverpool have won a whole lot more including the ultimate in 2005, but never the PL.

Arsenal in 12 years just three FACups.

Despite those trophy setbacks, all three are established as major to massive clubs and will never lose that. Huge stadia being expanded or large already, media exposure and millions of followers worldwide.

Man City and Chelsea 20 years ago were trundling along at a level below that, with occasional relegations. Then new wealthy owners brought in top European managers and name players, then up another level on wages/fees to jump ahead of all the clubs above them. They too are now part of the elite.

Clubs like Leicester and Brighton are also based in much smaller cities.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What annoys me more than the top 6 being miles better than anyone else is when they then don't show up in the Champions League.

Indeed, it is a paradox that PL generates more income and more vieiwng than any other, but on a European scale its best teams are the equivalent of WBA and Southampton in PL. The fip side is that PL becomes a little more interesting because there is more competition, limited but more than Bundesliga or La Liga.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Germany - 13 point gap between 1st and 2nd, also a 12 point gap between 4th and 5th.
Spain - 12 point gap between 1st/2nd(same points) and 3rd
France - 11 point gap between 2nd and 3rd, also 9 point gap between 3rd and 4th.( 20 points separate PSG(2nd) and Lyon(4th))

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1st season 39 pts
2nd season 50 pts

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I met an Everton fan once that had no idea who or where Brighton was..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
That's us in top four, then. How could it be otherwise once we have an outside TV studio?

Did you actually read all of the different comments in this thread or just land on my post to be sarcastic!.
Take some time, and you'll realise what I was referring to.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Spurs fan here.

Just a point on spending, obviously we had the benefit of the Bale money but even allowing for hat, Spurs have been the lowest net spenders in the Premier League for a good 5 years or longer and yet we have averaged '4.25' place over the last 8 years although we do have the 6th largest wage bill.

It seems wages paid are as much of a factor in 'success' as money spent on players.

A good academy is vital for us and any team outside the top 7-8.

Look forward to seeing the Seagulls at Wembley next season and good luck to you.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spurs fan here.

Just a point on spending, obviously we had the benefit of the Bale money but even allowing for hat, Spurs have been the lowest net spenders in the Premier League for a good 5 years or longer and yet we have averaged '4.25' place over the last 8 years although we do have the 6th largest wage bill.

It seems wages paid are as much of a factor in 'success' as money spent on players.

A good academy is vital for us and any team outside the top 7-8.

Look forward to seeing the Seagulls at Wembley next season and good luck to you.

Wages are THE factor. Football analysts have looked at this closely and over more than one (e.g. the Leicester blip), the direct correlation between wages and final league place is glaringly obvious.

Do you think that means, with £100m's to be spent this summer by each of them, that Chelski, ManUre and Citeh will dominate the PL next season, especially with their new managers bedded in?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
History, if an illustrious one and especially in modern times, does make a massive difference.

In 55 years, Spurs have have never won the league or European Cup (ever), sporadically winning a league cup or further back FAC's. They've rarely played in the CL and their ground has held just 36,000 for 20 years.

Liverpool have won a whole lot more including the ultimate in 2005, but never the PL.

Arsenal in 12 years just three FACups.

Despite those trophy setbacks, all three are established as major to massive clubs and will never lose that. Huge stadia being expanded or large already, media exposure and millions of followers worldwide.

Man City and Chelsea 20 years ago were trundling along at a level below that, with occasional relegations. Then new wealthy owners brought in top European managers and name players, then up another level on wages/fees to jump ahead of all the clubs above them. They too are now part of the elite.

Clubs like Leicester and Brighton are also based in much smaller cities.

Yep, and the thing I'm wondering is that money was thrown at all these clubs, and City and Chelsea, and they have become, and stayed massive. But money was also thrown at Blackburn, and Portsmouth, and Leicester and lots of others, and maybe its as simple as quantity of investment, but none of those could sustain success, despite all of them doing very well for a short period, winning the league or cup, they will never break through. Massive income never followed the investment and players always saw that club as a stepping stone

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Wages are THE factor. Football analysts have looked at this closely and over more than one (e.g. the Leicester blip), the direct correlation between wages and final league place is glaringly obvious.

Do you think that means, with £100m's to be spent this summer by each of them, that Chelski, ManUre and Citeh will dominate the PL next season, especially with their new managers bedded in?

If it is as simple as that then pay the current squad more, higher wages mean we have a better team - sorted! Next...

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Wages are THE factor. Football analysts have looked at this closely and over more than one (e.g. the Leicester blip), the direct correlation between wages and final league place is glaring.

Spurs need to keep Pochettino and the nucleus of the team together to stay in he top 6. We don't perform well at Wembley it 'isn't home'.

If we only lose Walker and some fringe or squad players and recruit one or two quality replacements along with promoting a couple from the academy we should be OK.

Man U will push ehard next year and the usual suspects will be there again - money talks.

All Brighton have to do in year one is finish above 3 other teams. Win home and anyway against he bottom 6 and you stay up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spurs need to keep Pochettino and the nucleus of the team together to stay in he top 6. We don't perform well at Wembley it 'isn't home'.

If we only lose Walker and some fringe or squad players and recruit one or two quality replacements along with promoting a couple from the academy we should be OK.

Man U will push ehard next year and the usual suspects will be there again - money talks.

All Brighton have to do in year one is finish above 3 other teams. Win home and anyway against he bottom 6 and you stay up.

If Moanrinho spends £200m this summer, and £200m the next, on the likes of Griezman, using ManUre's blue print of buying success; how do you see the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal ever being able to be champions? Can it be done?

N17

Jun 21, 2011
If Moanrinho spends £200m this summer, and £200m the next, on the likes of Griezman, using ManUre's blue print of buying success; how do you see the likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal ever being able to be champions? Can it be done?

It can be done but it is obviously extremely difficult. And unlikely.

If you don't believe, you might as well not bother.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It can be done but it is obviously extremely difficult. And unlikely.

If you don't believe, you might as well not bother.

Agreed. Fans of Chelski I've met wonder why people bother supporting clubs like Spurs, Liverpool and Everton? Kids choose their club and stay loyal for life, with new managers, owners and players always giving hope and things to look forward to.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Did you actually read all of the different comments in this thread or just land on my post to be sarcastic!.
Take some time, and you'll realise what I was referring to.

Ooooh, prickly.

Think about it. The inference is that I either studiously followed the thread and came to the conclusion after careful consideration of all the available evidence that you honestly believe that an outside TV studio is a clear sign that we shall head towards the top of PL,.....or

...that I stumbled on your post and amusingly thought that, hey, in isolation,this post means we can get a top 4 by having an outside TV studio, admittedly at your expense for which I apologise, There is nothing personal,I assure you.

It is exactly the dilemma that politicians and others face every day. Think Diane Abbott. Poor woman will never live her moment down. She might have had a point but if she did it will be forever lost in her mathematical moment. The downside is that we end up with vacuosity because none dares say anything meaningful because there is a danger a sound bite will be taken out of context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here