Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Happened To These Pubs?

el punal

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if the following watering holes still exist or under a new name or just gone for ever. These were the boozers that I used to visit before leaving dear old Brighton in the late 1970s, but carried on visiting on football days in the 1980s. Big nostalgia trip eh?

Anyway, here goes:

The Adur, big brick building at Aldrington Basin?

The Schooner, Brighton Road/Albion Road (A259), Southwick

The Pilot, Southwick

The Alexandria, Southwick/Portslade (A259)

The Pavilion Bar, at the bottom of North Street, Brighton

The Wick, Western Road, Hove

The Free Butt, Phoenix Place?, by the Level?

The Albion, Church Road, Hove

The Springfield, next to London Road station

And the rest have disappeared foggy mists of memory (and hangovers)!

So, if you've got any information or knowledge of the above I would love to hear. Cheers! :drink:

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
The Adur is still there, new name, can't recall at mo.
Schooner still the same but the Pilot is now Emmaus, charity furniture outlet.
The Alex has been knocked down.
Pav Tav is still going.
The Wick is back after several renames.
Sadly the Free Butt closed a few years ago.
The Albion has changed little, maybe Geoff is even still there!
The Springfield is now called Open House, and has kept up with the times very well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Adur has been the Blue Lagoon and now the Gather Inn. Full of Chelsea beer bellies. Shame as great location.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Adur is still there, new name, can't recall at mo.
Schooner still the same but the Pilot is now Emmaus, charity furniture outlet.
The Alex has been knocked down.
Pav Tav is still going.
The Wick is back after several renames.
Sadly the Free Butt closed a few years ago.
The Albion has changed little, maybe Geoff is even still there!
The Springfield is now called Open House, and has kept up with the times very well.

I loved the Freebutt, in fact I/we loved it so much we had our wedding reception there. I was touched that when it closed and the Argus ran an article on it the manager mentioned us amongst all the names which have played there.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Aaaah, The Pavilion. Shades?

My mate worked in there in the 80s.....we had a nice thing going. Is it still open, don't know. Good memories though.

The Wick, didn't someone get shot in the head there? Who could forget the lovely and vivacious Hayley from the late 90s? Still going strong I believe.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
When the Albion was converted to its present state as a single bar early seventies I was working just along the road on the corner of Fourth Avenue converting the building into a Barclays Bank. It's now the Cooperative.

The Albion was our choice of watering hole.

Last edited:

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I loved the Freebutt, in fact I/we loved it so much we had our wedding reception there. I was touched that when it closed and the Argus ran an article on it the manager mentioned us amongst all the names which have played there.

Could well have been Will, now at The Albert. Pat Murphy, the owner who really saw the potential of its location as a live music venue, recently died.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if the following watering holes still exist or under a new name or just gone for ever. These were the boozers that I used to visit before leaving dear old Brighton in the late 1970s, but carried on visiting on football days in the 1980s. Big nostalgia trip eh?

Anyway, here goes:

The Adur, big brick building at Aldrington Basin? Still there, different name

The Schooner, Brighton Road/Albion Road (A259), Southwick Still there after a recent fire, much more food now

The Pilot, Southwick Gone, thankfully

The Alexandria, Southwick/Portslade (A259) Closed by plod last I heard

The Pavilion Bar, at the bottom of North Street, Brighton Still there, same as

The Wick, Western Road, Hove Still there, but rather hipster

The Free Butt, Phoenix Place?, by the Level? Don't know

The Albion, Church Road, Hove Hasn't changed

The Springfield, next to London Road station Two pubs there, must be one of them?

So, if you've got any information or knowledge of the above I would love to hear. Cheers! :drink:

See above.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Anyway, here goes:

The Pilot, Southwick

The Pavilion Bar, at the bottom of North Street, Brighton

The Wick, Western Road, Hove

The Free Butt, Phoenix Place?, by the Level?

The Albion, Church Road, Hove

The Springfield, next to London Road station

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/sussex.html

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

i went to a all day music thing there, years ago, they weren't allowed to open the windows cos of the neighbours, i had to leave as nearly fainted
The Caroline of Brunswick looks to be closing ..... more flats

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Schooner was starting to serve very good food before the fire. The Alex was my old man's local for years & I used to go with him on Sundays. It changed name and the new guv forgot to get a licence. The OB closed it & it's now a pile of rubble. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is right about the Adur. And I genuinely admire The Albion for never changing, a slice of old school Hove in a sea of beards and coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Anyway, here goes:

The Pilot, Southwick

The pub you called The Alexandria was actually called The Alexandra and later The Harbour View. Here's quite a detailed history right up to its demolition with photos of what the site looks like now..
http://portsladehistory.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-harbour-view-formally-alexandra.html?m=1

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could well have been Will, now at The Albert. Pat Murphy, the owner who really saw the potential of its location as a live music venue, recently died.

It wasn't Will. Andy was his name. He went on to work at Sticky Mikes but I'm not sure where he is these days. RIP Pat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i went to a all day music thing there, years ago, they weren't allowed to open the windows cos of the neighbours, i had to leave as nearly fainted
The Caroline of Brunswick looks to be closing ..... more flats

The Freebutt and Caroline are fantastic examples of community pubs/venues and are huge assets to the city. Can't they build some poxy flats elsewhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here