Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Out would stop strikes - of which there has been 10 days this year & another 5 planned

So 15 days of strikes against 500+ consecutive days of Southern incompetence and failure.

And you blame the unions...? Outstanding analysis. :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
15 days of strike this year from workers trying to protect their jobs, 365 days of abject shit from Southern trying to increase the profits of its shareholders.

are you are saying is that union members are allowed to protect their jobs but not for executives to protect their jobs?

i think Southern management are incompetent and incapable of running a service effectively, not through malice. the union on the other hand has taken deliberate action to deny the service to passengers.

there is an argument to be had that Southern executives have acted maliciously towards the staff, that doesnt negate the unions action.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
& with that attitude. There in lies the problem

That post has absolutely no meaning.

The union is there to represent its members. The members (i.e. staff) are working under trying conditions, being bullied and insulted by management, and abused by (a small number of) customers. And your answer is to blame them and sack the lot - when everyone know that this is a dispute manufactured by the government?

Outstanding.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012

The union is there to represent its members. The members (i.e. staff) are working under trying conditions, being bullied and insulted by management, and abused by (a small number of) customers. And your answer is to blame them and sack the lot - when everyone know that this is a dispute manufactured by the government?

Outstanding.

The members of unions are staff & have customers that help to pay their wages. They disrespect their customers by not doing their jobs. As a customer I no longer wish to pay for their services. Particularly as I no longer need to as they are no longer needed. I don't expect my fare to go down, but I do expect that without them my service will improve.

I've travelled at peak times for 8 years now & the service has never been this bad - caused by who - the union who have invoked strikes (without full support). & it's not just the 15 days with 5 more planned. They've been working too rule since April causing endless cancellations for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people.

Yes sack the few staff to save the many customers. I as a customer am v happy to voice my opinion while the Luddites stand grinning outside the station

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The members of unions are staff & have customers that help to pay their wages. They disrespect their customers by not doing their jobs. As a customer I no longer wish to pay for their services. Particularly as I no longer need to as they are no longer needed. I don't expect my fare to go down, but I do expect that without them my service will improve.

I've travelled at peak times for 8 years now & the service has never been this bad - caused by who - the union who have invoked strikes (without full support). & it's not just the 15 days with 5 more planned. They've been working too rule since April causing endless cancellations for hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people.

Yes sack the few staff to save the many customers. I as a customer am v happy to voice my opinion while the Luddites stand grinning outside the station

I was 20 mins late for work today despite leaving home early, why? Because SOUTHERN ARE SORRY TRAIN CANCELLED DUE TO A SHORTAGE OF CARRIAGES

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Outstanding.

Do they indeed?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Do they indeed?

Well they should. Just one more time:
Peter Wilkinson is the DfT Director responsible for rail franchising. Here are the quotes from his meeting in February this year as reported by the Croydon Advertiser. "Over the next three years we're going to be having punch ups and we will see industrial action and I want your support," Mr Wilkinson told residents in Croydon Town Hall at a meeting organised by Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell."I'm furious about it and it has got to change - we have got to break them," he said."They have all borrowed money to buy cars and got credit cards."They can't afford to spend too long on strike and I will push them into that place."They will have to decide if they want to give a good service or get the hell out of my industry."

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wonder whether Ernest (and I've only mentioned you Ernest as you appear to be RMT Shop Steward on NSC - but it's open to anyone) could provide us with verifiable* statistics on the number of deaths and serious injuries arising directly from door opening/closing incidents on:-

1) DOO trains
2) Trains with conductors

This will enable those of us not in the know to determine whether the RMT's "it's a safety issue" stance is justifiable.

*Means state the source please.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I wonder whether Ernest (and I've only mentioned you Ernest as you appear to be RMT Shop Steward on NSC - but it's open to anyone) could provide us with verifiable* statistics on the number of deaths and serious injuries arising directly from door opening/closing incidents on:-

1) DOO trains

This will enable those of us not in the know to determine whether the RMT's "it's a safety issue" stance is justifiable.

top marks for the most insanely ridiculous post so far!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Appalling service out of Seaford ongoing, with trains arriving from Brighton and going back to Brighton still delayed in departing even though there should be ample turn around time between arrival and departure. Trains into/out of Lewes on the London line delayed as usual, creating further delays for Brighton - Seaford trains, which have to wait as a result..

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
49498_933475_party.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist it. You have to laugh or else you'd cry. :down:

Seriously, I hope that you and everyone else finally got home safely and that you will be billing GTR for the cost of any additional taxi expenses involved - through the Small Claims court if necessary. Only thing they'd understand. The problems on the rail melting wasn't their fault. The failure to provide alternative transport to get you to your destination however...

The problem is bus companies don't have a staffed fleet ready and waiting in case of rail disruption. They can't cancel their own services to provide transport for the railway and many drivers would have done their day's work already. Companies such as Heritage probably have to try and get drivers in to do the work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

1) DOO trains

i can answer that: "Since January 2011 there have been 10 serious incidents at the Passenger/Train Interface ... 80% of these incidents have involved services being operated in Driver Only Operation". thats 8 incidents on a DOO. only one fatality, on a non-DOO. source is RMT

personally i find it reassuring that only 8 incidents on the whole network in that time. reckon there are that many on the tube every year, at least it seems like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here