Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Missing cash sent in the post

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
These postmen! You can't trust 'em eh [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] ?

v1.bTsxMTI5MTIxMjtqOzE3NzI1OzEyMDA7MTM5ODsxODY0

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree but this little chap doesn't have a bank account and we wanted him to have the joy of opening his card with money in it. As I said it was, on reflection, stupid but surely trust must come in here somewhere.

Should have used Monopoly money.

el punal

OK, stupid I hear you cry. Send it registered or recorded... you are right. However. The times post has got lost in the post must be microscopic. So.... last week my wife sends £70 to our grandson within his birthday card. It never arrived. Since then we've heard similar tales of non-delivery when cash has been involved. Is all this purely co-incidental or is there a way of 'flagging' if there's money in a sealed envelope. Or.... the fact that there is an obvious large amount of post on a particular day suggest birthdays and possible raw dosh within. Is this just unlucky or is there something more sinister? All the 'posties' I know are great guys/girls, so we're in a quandary. Any thoughts or any other similar stories?

Sorry to say but your first sentence is correct. I worked for Royal Mail for 17 years and, yes, the vast majority of staff were decent, honest and hard working souls. But, as with any large organisation, there will always be bad apples. One of the unfortunate traits of dishonesty (nicking stuff!) within Royal Mail was the stealing of credit cards and cash enclosed within birthday/Christmas cards.

Any item posted will go through a system that involves numerous staff handling that item - the postman collecting the mail from the post box, the sorting office staff emptying the bag for processing, the item of mail then sorted automatically or manually for forwarding to the correct postal area section within the office, then item bagged (with other mail) and transported to the relevant postal area overnight. The item then arrives at the recipient's postal area's sorting office (i.e. BN, or GU, or PO, etc) and is then forwarded on to the relevant local delivery office which is then sorted into the appropriate "walk" or the delivery postman's round. The item is then delivered to the addressed household.

So you see, within the system several people would have access to that item of mail. As I said earlier the vast majority of staff would have diligently processed the mail with no problem and the item would have been safely delivered. The big but in all of this is that to most posties we would recognise a birthday card which had something extra enclosed (money) and the comment would generally be that whoever posted it is stupid/naive/ too trusting. The rule was always if something is valuable or important send it special delivery, guaranteed or recorded delivery. That way your precious cargo is tracked all the way and if "lost" you would be recompensed.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
My mum always sends cash with birthday cards. Last one arrived in a plastic bag with envelope opened up. Needless to say the money.....was still in it. Big thumbs up to the postal handlers on this occasion.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford

Shouldn't laugh but my elderly Mum (96) has regularly made up different birth dates to try and avoid being security compromised. Unfortunately it all went wrong when she needed to login to her Nectar account; having forgotten her password they demanded her birth date to get it back, and after many, many attempts to guess it we gave it up and ordered a new card!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've received birthday cards with a slit down the side of the envelope (not marked as damaged) but fortunately, there hadn't been any money inside.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've received birthday cards with a slit down the side of the envelope (not marked as damaged) but fortunately, there hadn't been any money inside.

How do you know there hadn't been any money inside? Why would you ask the sender if money was inside if it arrived with no money inside? The only way you would probably know is if the sender asked if you got the money. If the sender is that worried about the money getting nicked why would they send the money by post anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How do you know there hadn't been any money inside? Why would you ask the sender if money was inside if it arrived with no money inside? The only way you would probably know is if the sender asked if you got the money. If the sender is that worried about the money getting nicked why would they send the money by post anyway.

:facepalm:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yep, me, last Christmas, left it so late I really had no choice but could have sent cheques I suppose, it even crossed my mind when I posted them but hoped it would be OK.
6 cards sent, 3 with money in, 3 without.
Guess which 3 didn't make it.
The 3 without money made it ok.
Royal Mail are a bunch of thieving *****.
And I told them so as well.
No compensation in any circumstance apparently.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
OK, stupid I hear you cry. Send it registered or recorded... you are right. However. The times post has got lost in the post must be microscopic. So.... last week my wife sends £70 to our grandson within his birthday card. It never arrived. Since then we've heard similar tales of non-delivery when cash has been involved. Is all this purely co-incidental or is there a way of 'flagging' if there's money in a sealed envelope. Or.... the fact that there is an obvious large amount of post on a particular day suggest birthdays and possible raw dosh within. Is this just unlucky or is there something more sinister? All the 'posties' I know are great guys/girls, so we're in a quandary. Any thoughts or any other similar stories?

I have had at least half a dozen of my letters tampered with over the years (I see you live in Arundel as well) so I wouldn't write it off being local. One of the local posties was sacked for it a few years back and I believe it was pretty well known tampering amongst a small group of them at local post office went on. Saying that it was probably 5 years ago now but it doesn't surprise me.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Our new post lady is absolutely beautiful. She can help herself to anything she wants as long as she keeps delivering our letters.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I am the PRAT, as all you have told me, who sent birthday dosh tru the post. However, a little bit of heart-warming news. The birthday card arrived, a full week late, to our nephew, with the full £70 squid intact. Is this a case of the tea-leaf getting pangs of conscience, probably having read the tale of woe on NSC? Just so chuffed that my trust in our posties wasn't completely shattered..... Ernest!!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am the PRAT, as all you have told me, who sent birthday dosh tru the post. However, a little bit of heart-warming news. The birthday card arrived, a full week late, to our nephew, with the full £70 squid intact. Is this a case of the tea-leaf getting pangs of conscience, probably having read the tale of woe on NSC?
That's almost what happened. I heard of YOUR story and got a TIP off on one of the culprit's accomplices . I tracked him DOWN and threatened to cut OFF his sausage if he didn't send the cash.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Trig, you are a darling. Nobody wants their sausage shortened... no wonder he passed the cash on to the correct owner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here