Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA considers changes to nationality rules

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Apparently some countries (and this could be a stretch) are bordered by many other countries. How can we tell where they were traveling to or is this the clause 5.3 pedalo refugee island status ruling?

The new rules could be good when Sussex finally becomes a country.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But if she only got as far as southern Italy, wouldn't the babe have to claim citizenship at the first point of entry? Italian, then.............
No, that's the beauty of this loophole in BG's otherwise well-thought through scheme - as far as I can see you don't have to actually reach where you are going, you just have to be on the way there. Using the pedalo ruse, you can effectively choose the country that the child plays for.

You or your partner about to give birth? Pop the mother on some sort of craft and head out to sea where the baby is born, when you return to shore for urgent medical assistance and officials say,"Where on earth were you going?" you just reply with the name of the country that you would like your child to represent in international football. Could be England or just as easily it could be Brazil or, for more chance of international football, Monaco. Just don't say something like Switzerland or Bolivia as the powers-that-be may smell a rat.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No, that's the beauty of this loophole in BG's otherwise well-thought through scheme - as far as I can see you don't have to actually reach where you are going, you just have to be on the way there. Using the pedalo ruse, you can effectively choose the country that the child plays for.

You or your partner about to give birth? Pop the mother on some sort of craft and head out to sea where the baby is born, when you return to shore for urgent medical assistance and officials say,"Where on earth were you going?" you just reply with the name of the country that you would like your child to represent in international football. Could be England or just as easily it could be Brazil or, for more chance of international football, Monaco. Just don't say something like Switzerland or Bolivia as the powers-that-be may smell a rat.

That's ridiculous. The Monaco national team can't even play in International competitions as they're not a member of FIFA or UEFA.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
If actually born in Corfu yes. If I wanted my offspring to be English I wouldnt leave the country when the birth is due, A little forward planning as a birth doesnt just happen.

Edit: I have read the whole thread now and think it's a wonderful suggestion :laugh:

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Alright then- let's simplify it. Never mind where the kid was born, just only let him play for the country where he was conceived. Simple.

And if the child was conceived on a cruise ship in international waters I assume the same rules apply, with only being eligible to play for the country of departure or landing?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Football is not the only sport in a pickle on this of course: rugby union, cricket and athletics all have credibility problems.

cricket is riddled with multi national teams....the England cricket team is/was full of saffies.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So in summary...

Irrespective of your family's residential and cultural history,

1 - You can only play for the country you were born in except...

1.1 - If you're on a cruise ship, you can play for either the country you've just left, or the country you're heading to (irrespective of whether you're in whatever country's waters)

1.2 - A similar rule applies for air travel - you can play for either the country you've just left, or the country you're heading to (irrespective of whether you're in whatever country's defined airspace)

1.3 - However, this rule should be null and void as women wouldn't be allowed to travel while pregnant - at least not beyond 26 weeks.

1.3.1 - That said, it is acceptable to risk your family's life in order to give birth in a country of your choice, even though they're not allowed to travel.

1.4 Being on a pedalo while giving birth negates all of the above

I think I've got that right...?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And if the child was conceived on a cruise ship in international waters I assume the same rules apply, with only being eligible to play for the country of departure or landing?
Then they play for the Democratic Republic of Fred Olssen, or Cunard Rovers FC. Or encourage them to take up Rugby............................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So in summary...

Irrespective of your family's residential and cultural history,

1 - You can only play for the country you were born in except...

1.1 - If you're on a cruise ship, you can play for either the country you've just left, or the country you're heading to (irrespective of whether you're in whatever country's waters)

1.2 - A similar rule applies for air travel - you can play for either the country you've just left, or the country you're heading to (irrespective of whether you're in whatever country's defined airspace)

1.3 - However, this rule should be null and void as women wouldn't be allowed to travel while pregnant - at least not beyond 26 weeks.

1.3.1 - That said, it is acceptable to risk your family's life in order to give birth in a country of your choice, even though they're not allowed to travel.

1.4 Being on a pedalo while giving birth negates all of the above

I think I've got that right...?
Spot on! You've just missed out 1.5 Being conceived on a pedalo...........

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Spot on! You've just missed out 1.5 Being conceived on a pedalo...........

What about being conceived on a pedalo in international waters? I think [MENTION=338]smudge[/MENTION] should give us his expert opinion on this

Not that he is a serial bonker on a pedalo, although he may be, but he is a cruise line officer. Just to be clear :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here