Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Funny looking road bike you've got there :lol:

Don't be shy, it's about time someone formally introduced themselves on the specific thread in the 'discussion' sub section (directly below our non-existent club badge).

40 members and I know who less than half of them are.

O have a Giant Revel 4 MTB which is the picture and a Defy 3 road bike, I have been on the road bike now a few times now and want to really make the most of the summer.

I think I am going to enter a "race" just to give me a reason to keep getting out as always good to have focus but a little worried I will just embarrass myself. I know there are a few local and was thinking of the Plumpton short race in a month, has anyone done it before?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
O have a Giant Revel 4 MTB which is the picture and a Defy 3 road bike, I have been on the road bike now a few times now and want to really make the most of the summer.

I think I am going to enter a "race" just to give me a reason to keep getting out as always good to have focus but a little worried I will just embarrass myself. I know there are a few local and was thinking of the Plumpton short race in a month, has anyone done it before?
Do you mean this:-

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-south-downs-spring-sportive/

If so you definitely won't embarrass yourself.
They are open 'sportive' events, as racing isn't allowed on public roads unless you have a license, on a licensed event.

I maintain they are a good way to get started as you're giving yourself a target to aim at, and on the day the course and distance is all done for you, and a 'safety net' of support (which you won't need anyway) not to mention some good camaraderie.

Obviously you are paying to ride on the road, which is free, so it just depends on how you view the event.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Do you mean this:-

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-south-downs-spring-sportive/

If so you definitely won't embarrass yourself.
They are open 'sportive' events, as racing isn't allowed on public roads unless you have a license, on a licensed event.

I maintain they are a good way to get started as you're giving yourself a target to aim at, and on the day the course and distance is all done for you, and a 'safety net' of support (which you won't need anyway) not to mention some good camaraderie.

Obviously you are paying to ride on the road, which is free, so it just depends on how you view the event.

To be honest the money aspect does not really come in to question as its not the cheapest of sports anyway, the main reason was to set a date, follow a set route and just try something new. Good news on the racing thing that would put me off a bit I think.

Yes thats the event looks pretty interesting

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be honest the money aspect does not really come in to question as its not the cheapest of sports anyway, the main reason was to set a date, follow a set route and just try something new. Good news on the racing thing that would put me off a bit I think.

Yes thats the event looks pretty interesting
If that's how you view it, then you should definitely sign up.
They are good fun, you'll get swept along, and you will grow in confidence.
Probably to the point that you'll not 'need' sportives and will happily just pop out for x hours just because you can.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
If that's how you view it, then you should definitely sign up.
They are good fun, you'll get swept along, and you will grow in confidence.
Probably to the point that you'll not 'need' sportives and will happily just pop out for x hours just because you can.

Sounds good to me, after the ride tonight I feel confident that the shorter mileage is acheivable and will keep me out on the bike with a date to work to

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
On an unrelated note - I'm doing my first imperial century ride this Friday. Have booked the day off to cycle from Cambridge to Stratford-upon-Avon (where my folks live). 105 miles and c4,000 ft of climbing. My previous best is 60 miles and 2,000 ft (not the same ride). The plan is to take a very steady pace (aiming for 15mph average) and take at least a couple of proper breaks, including one for lunch, and make a bit of a day of it. I'll be taking plenty of fuel (two bottles plus food supplies, and will stop to refill along the way). Any advice or definite dos/don'ts from the geeks?

If you're committed to do it, that's a decent head start. Don't mince about with poncey gels though. You've said you're making a day of it, not going for a record so you'll be fine.

I'm back on 2 wheels but can't get the hammer down. Gravity seems to have got a lot stronger of late.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds good to me, after the ride tonight I feel confident that the shorter mileage is acheivable and will keep me out on the bike with a date to work to
If your riding for a month, and this weather holds I wouldn't be surprised if you were already 'comfortably' at that distance by the off.
Sure it's lumpier than today, but 11 miles more is well within reach when your already going over 20.

Keep drinking and eating (for now), keep your tyres pumped up, and find some country lanes to ride around.
Happy days.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Hills, hills and more hills. You'll be stepping up before you know it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's short notice, but is anyone up for a spin, tomorrow?

I'm looking at you [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION].

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Mmm, not sure I'm convinced by any of those! I like this bit of kit though -

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/british-inventor-creates-revolutionary-affordable-power-meter-167250

After much fiddling and adjusting of my rear mech, I've realised that my little spill a few months ago has bent my rear hanger!

I've taken a finessed approach to it by bending it back until the rear mech looks, more or less, straight again - what could go wrong?!

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Is that "Bloody Hell" as in what a load of old shite?

Matthew Sowter at Saffron Bikes collaborated with a Japanese artist called Kosuke Masuda to create a spectacular and unique bike. Floral, organic and zoological patterns have been etched into the black alloy Campagnolo Athena components and Shamal wheels before being matched with a hand-built steel frame.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-bristol-bike-show-167232#F5xKgIpFL1M0vfu0.99

The artwork makes the components look like they've been in a nasty scrape accident :facepalm:

I can't find a single thing on that page or short video that I like the look of to be honest.

Meanwhile...Glibert crashed out of Fleche just now :( He's ok and got back on the bike but clearly shaken. A few crashes one after the other here.

33 km to go and it will soon all be back together.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is that "Bloody Hell" as in what a load of old shite?

Matthew Sowter at Saffron Bikes collaborated with a Japanese artist called Kosuke Masuda to create a spectacular and unique bike. Floral, organic and zoological patterns have been etched into the black alloy Campagnolo Athena components and Shamal wheels before being matched with a hand-built steel frame.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...-bristol-bike-show-167232#F5xKgIpFL1M0vfu0.99

The artwork makes the components look like they've been in a nasty scrape accident :facepalm:

I can't find a single thing on that page or short video that I like the look of to be honest.

Meanwhile...Glibert crashed out of Fleche just now :( He's ok and got back on the bike but clearly shaken. A few crashes one after the other here.

33 km to go and it will soon all be back together.

Yes. It most certainly is.

The wooden bike made Stat's selection from the other week look almost desirable and that red monstrosity...what was he thinking? The 'high' bike? :lolol:

Bicycles for Hoxton people. Or wherever the new Hoxton is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes. It most certainly is.

The wooden bike made Stat's selection from the other week look almost desirable and that red monstrosity...what was he thinking? The 'high' bike? :lolol:

Bicycles for Hoxton people. Or wherever the new Hoxton is.

I'm not from Hoxton, or wherever the new Hoxton is....possibly St.Leonards -on- Sea? (in which case I'm getting close!) but I have had a beard my entire adult life. I'm almost minded to shave the bloody thing off when I see desperate to be cool blokes like W.G. Grace in that video there :lol:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

I registered an interest and now have the chance of purchasing one for $200 ($190 pledge plus $10 shipping). Just weighing up whether to go for it. A few people expressed concern that it increases the Q factor (and there's no mention of whether yo get a dummy one for the other pedal to keep it symmerical - the initial release is only one sided).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here