Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
"We will grant a free vote, on a government bill in government time, to give parliament the opportunity to decide the future of the Hunting Act."

Nothing on reversing benefit cuts though to help the poor and vulnerable.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So you agree that children in this country should live in poverty and parents should give money to schools so that their children can learn and it's OK for people to sleep on the streets because they can't afford or there are no houses.
No doubt you are ok, that's all that matters isn't it.

Just because others do not support the same party as others, does not mean that the examples you give are not supported by others.
Cast your mind back to the 13 years that Liebour were in power, were there not children in poverty, were there not people sleeping on the streets, and maybe if Labour had not allowed mass immigration then the shortage of housing THEN, as well as now, may not have occurred.
You may have a rosy view of those 13 years, many dof not.
So when you try to use the guilt trip, think on.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So you agree that children in this country should live in poverty and parents should give money to schools so that their children can learn and it's OK for people to sleep on the streets because they can't afford or there are no houses.

This is what defines Labour as being the party of the childish. I can appreciate the desire for better public services and more public funding, even if I personally do not support how it has to be achieved with more spending and taxation. Labour supporters seem to wilfully ignore any sense that is present in the arguments of those not of the same mindset and resort to insults and ridiculous statements like that above. Of course nobody in their right mind wants people in poverty, but it makes a good soundbite to suggest that all Tory voters aspire to this doesn't it?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No but your example is a poor one because the amount of borrowing is the key. While there were many repossessions and it was a devastating period to have such massive interest spikes through the 80s, the house price and the level of borrowing against it to purchase meant many were able to ride out interest rate swings from 6% to 15%.

As house prices have risen incrementally higher compared to average earnings, then while your comparison is correct, the level of borrowing against the property is higher. Project an interest rate swing like we had in the 80s and it would be catastrophic for the economy.

House prices are too high in this country, you can see worldwide trends in this graph http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices our housing market has been turned into an investment marketplace rather than a homes marketplace.

Your post is quite interesting in that you could have posted that quite reasonably at anytime throughout the past 25 years and with just a bit of tweeking still be deemed fairly accurate and pertain the same fears and future wisdom of the UK housing market, I have yet to hear anyone at anytime throughout my adult life say that current house prices are finally at a sustainable level, never not once.

My original point was that I cited two examples of the same house in different eras, 1990 and 2017 and simply challenged the notion that house prices are now uniquely unaffordable or perhaps more-so just inaccessible.

I put a wholly hypothetical set of circumstances that showed that comparitively it would make a current house in my example more affordable today than back in 1990, irrespective of its current increased value.

I accept that the crux of my calculation was based on an unlikely scenario of sustained high and low interest rates but nonetheless worth noting that in real life back in 1990 I had to struggle to find £800.00 a month to cover my mortgage repayments on a comapratively low £80 000 priced house whilst finding a simlar amount today on its inflated price of £250 000 might make it currently more affordable than back in 1990, I actually cannot see how that particular snapshot can be interpreted any other way.

Ultimately all I suggested was that lending criteria's are as most things cyclical and at some stage it will become less strict/more imaginative and young buyers will access the housing market again even with what seems eyewatering prices just as we did 25 years ago, we can all argue the toss as to the rammerfications of it all but home ownership seems embedded within our culture and the market will ensure we get what we want.

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Typical left wing bullshit. Because someone is tory, doesn't mean they want that at all, but anything else I say is probably pointless as your reply has proven you are a left wing loon who just won't be happy ever unless Labour are in power, no matter how much debt they leave the country in.
I am Tory, and I say I want a credible opposition, and you still post what you did. And you except people to listen to you and take you seriously. Unfortunately for you, you are displaying the exact behaviour as to why the Labour party is in the position it is in. FFS GROW UP!!

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is what defines Labour as being the party of the childish. I can appreciate the desire for better public services and more public funding, even if I personally do not support how it has to be achieved with more spending and taxation. Labour supporters seem to wilfully ignore any sense that is present in the arguments of those not of the same mindset and resort to insults and ridiculous statements like that above. Of course nobody in their right mind wants people in poverty, but it makes a good soundbite to suggest that all Tory voters aspire to this doesn't it?
The same idiots labelled everyone who voted to leave the EU, as racists who wanted all immigrants removed overnight. As I said, its a shame Labour has so many of these loons, because it does their credibility no good, and is the reason why we do not have no opposition to the government at the moment.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So......... Policies??

This is the party that is going to walk the election and we are struggling to find anything positive to say about them.

That is terrifying.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Andrew Dilnot, who knows more on this issue than anyone, has slaughtered the social care plan so it's far from just the blue rinse brigade who are unhappy with it. I will wait to see what elsethe manifesto has or doesn't. From what I've heard and read so far, it appears extremely thin on new ideas.

I think Dilnot is spot on......May's proposals may work for the generation which benefited from hyper inflation in housing, but it's not sustainable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Typical left wing bullshit. Because someone is tory, doesn't mean they want that at all,

I'd agree. Some want an end to gay rights, others want foreigners exterminated. The Tory party is a broad church.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
That's all they need isn't it.

I'm Tory, but whilst they are obviously going to smash this election, we do need a credible opposition, and Labour will never be that again. The Limp Dems are as bad as Labour, but hopefully after this election, Labour and Limp Dems will get their acts together, dusband and form a credible opposition, which even me as a lifelong Tory desperately wants.

I think that they tory party - having wiped out ukip and gunning for the 51% who voted leave - have actually achieved the impossible. Theyve made the labour party into a viable opposition.

Latest ipsos mori shows labour at 34%. Blair got a majority in 2005 with 35%

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd agree. Some want an end to gay rights, others want foreigners exterminated. The Tory party is a broad church.
This is what mature non childish people do. Disagree, time to grow up turkey and vote for Christmas.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yes, all Tories are evil in some way.
All Labour are unwashed put upon scavengers
All Limp Dems are gay hippies.

Or off course we could all grow up listen to each other arguments, and stop acting like 5 year olds.

But I am tory and voted for Brexit, which to some on here means, I dont care about anyone other than me, I want children to live in poverty, and I was the NHS destroyed and all immigrates and disabled people either deported, or better still burned alive to provide me with cheap heating for the left wing of my mansion, just in case I deceide to visit one of the hundred rooms there, that I have unoccupied this winter. :tosser: s

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think that they tory party - having wiped out ukip and gunning for the 51% who voted leave - have actually achieved the impossible. Theyve made the labour party into a viable opposition.

:rotlf::rotlf:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

CLASSIC!!! WHich is extremely worrying, that Labour are the only opposition. They are not viable, which is a pitty, because as I will say again, even as a tory voter I say we badly need a viable opposition. If you really think Labour have a chance and are THAT viable opposition put your money where your mouth is, not other peoples money as Labour like to do, but your money, and , visit https://www.oddschecker.com/politic...eral-election/most-seats?selectionName=labour , put everything you have on at 20-1 and it'll be happy days for you

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, all Tories are evil in some way.
All Labour are unwashed put upon scavengers
All Limp Dems are gay hippies.

Or off course we could all grow up listen to each other arguments, and stop acting like 5 year olds.

But I am tory and voted for Brexit, which to some on here means, I dont care about anyone other than me, I want children to live in poverty, and I was the NHS destroyed and all immigrates and disabled people either deported, or better still burned alive to provide me with cheap heating for the left wing of my mansion, just in case I deceide to visit one of the hundred rooms there, that I have unoccupied this winter. :tosser: s
So why do you vote Tory?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
manifesto is certainly a turgid read. there's policy there, but wordy.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Because I believe they are the only party who can run the economy, and is the fairest party for everyone. And without a strong economy, there can be no extra money to fund the things that badly need funding in this country,

Because I think the Labour party is no longer relevant. The only reason IMO why they have gone so far to the left, is because moving more to the right, merges them into the Tories, which is what and how Blair won in 1997.

Because I don't agree with spend spend spend policies of Labour, because in the end the monies got to come from somewhere.

Personally I think the EU is the biggest evil we have ever seen, and now we are coming out, we can generate more wealth and taxes for the country, which in turn pays for the social care, poverty stricken children, and the NHS. I think a few years after Brexit, this country will have a massive surplus, and spending on those things the left want at the moment will be possible, buy until then its batten down the hatches, and see out the storm.

When this happens, I think Labour will be even more irrelevant, but we do need something in opposition to keep the government in check, and at the moment as much as the lefties want to dream, we do not have it.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Cast your mind back to the 13 years that Liebour were in power, were there not children in poverty,

Between 1997-2005 when Blair was leader, child poverty was halved.

In 2011, the Trussel Trust gave out 128,697 three day emergency food supplies to people in crisis. In the last year it gave out 1,182,954.

I think it's pretty clear which party does best at helping people out of poverty.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Despite going to Iraq Labour got 40.8% in that election, now we're Brexitting out of a plane with no parachute. History is repeating itself but with the Tories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here