Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In today's market £6.5m is cheap if a premier club wants. If he goes to burnley and does well they will be sticking a £20m price tag on him

Yeah but he won't. He is a very good player who works very well with Kayal and scores some goals at this level. He is not any better than Barnes, although different position, and is unlikely to set the world alight at Burnley. Again just IMO.

I will be delighted if he stays but he is no Will Hughes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We will not sell last years team, although deadline day will be a nail biter. It is just Dale (I hope) and only because the guy wants to go. No-one else seems to be in that position. The sad thing is, although he gets to play in the Prem, it'll be a struggle and losing more than winning. But they will probably double his sultry wages, and to be fair, if I was Dale Stephens, I too would go for the dosh.

I like the idea of sultry wages. It's kinda sexy.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
If, and it's a big if, Stephens joins Burnley he will NOT be on massive wages - they have just offered Keane a new deal on £29k-a-week, which he has turned down because he want to go to Leicester where he will earn even more.

Most of Burnley's players will only be on between £20/25k a week - a pittance by PL standards. You can see why we found iit easier to sign players when we were in the Championship - Gray, Barton and Tarkowski. It would not surprise me if the majority of Derby players are earning more than those at BFC.....Shackell left us for Derby last summer because "the financial package was too good to turn down".

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If, and it's a big if, Stephens joins Burnley he will NOT be on massive wages - they have just offered Keane a new deal on £29k-a-week, which he has turned down because he want to go to Leicester where he will earn even more.

Most of Burnley's players will only be on between £20/25k a week - a pittance by PL standards. You can see why we found iit easier to sign players when we were in the Championship - Gray, Barton and Tarkowski. It would not surprise me if the majority of Derby players are earning more than those at BFC.....Shackell left us for Derby last summer because "the financial package was too good to turn down".

Yes mate, but he will doubling his (about) 10k at Brighton.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You're still lost?!! Wow.

I'll try one more time: As a FOOTBALL FAN, I was pointing out the term ABSOLUTE DEVASTATION when used in relation to losing a midfielder to another club as somewhat hysterical.I was using the plight of OTHER FOOTBALL FANS AS AN EXAMPLE (Bolton, Pompey, Blackpool were examples). I really don't see the relevance of what you were doing in the 80s/90s/00s etc. Yes I also watched Albion during their torrid times and it makes your response to a footballer leaving the club even more baffling (and he hasn't even left yet!). Especially when the club has been doing so well, had a great season and now resides in one of the best stadiums in the Championship. No-one wants Stephens to leave but jeez some perspective....

No I understood your train of thought, I just thought it was bollocks.

It's you that lacks perspective, it's about context. I'm pretty devastated when some wanker ploughs into a bunch of people in France, does this mean I should only be miffed just a smidge and a half because we as a football club lose a player? We are vying for promotion, and losing DS will affect that.

So yes, I would be devastated if we lose our best midfielder so close to the window, on the basis that I want promotion. That is the goal put forth by the owner of our club, and the fact our goals in the past were very different i.e. survival, or the current plight of other clubs situationally has absolutely **** all relevance to an expression of how I would feel about the potential loss of a key player.

Hysterical :facepalm:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No I understood your train of through, I just thought it was bollocks.

It's you that lacks perspective, it's about context. I'm pretty devastated when some wanker ploughs into a bunch of people in France, does this mean I should only be miffed just a smidge and a half because we as a football club lose a player? We are vying for promotion, and losing DS will affect that.

So yes, I would be devastated if we lose our best midfielder so close to the window, on the basis that I want promotion. That is the goal put forth by the owner of our club, and the fact our goals in the past were very different i.e. survival, or the current plight of other clubs situationally has absolutely **** all relevance to an expression of how I would feel about the potential loss of a key player.

But we will always find someone to fill his boots, and that's the beauty of football. We thought our world fell apart when we dispensed of Bridcutt. It didn't.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If he goes its got to be for £8m up front, £2m if they stay in the premiershit this season and 25% of any sell on fee.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But we will always find someone to fill his boots, and that's the beauty of football. We thought our world fell apart when we dispensed of Bridcutt. It didn't.
we did nearly get relegated the next season

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I can't believe that Norwood, who just a few weeks ago was in the Euros unlike any of our other players except Jiri, was bought as cover. He was bought to play, whether alongside or instead of Stephens I have no idea.
Other clubs towards the top end of the Championship have bought players with far greater pedigree than Norwood who haven't just walked straight into their side. It's the sort of level we're operating at now, serious competition for places and squad depth.

Not to say Norwood isn't good enough to force his way into the first team, I'm sure he probably will, just disagree with the the common assertion I read on here that because we spend decent money on a player, that someone else must be making way at some point.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
No I understood your train of thought, I just thought it was bollocks.

Ha ha, you love a drama don't you?!! You're making lots of assumptions as if they are based on fact. The first of which, is losing Stephens means we won't get promoted. Yet you have absolutely no idea who will be coming into the club over the next season - or how we will play without him. We seemed to do okay on Saturday. You say he's our best midfielder, when in fact most would say Kayal is a more balanced player. And I would agree. You seemed to write in contradictions like doubting my perspective when you use such exaggerated language like ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED when relating to a player leaving the club. What happens if Kayal/Knockaert etc leave? Suicide? And then mention deaths in France. Odd.

You like to justify your point by becoming a bit sweary, probably because deep down you realise your original comment was frankly ridiculous. It's okay, we all make mistakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here