Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Response from Mr Barber re Palace stewarding and Police intervention

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where have i mentioned Knives and knuckle dusters ? I simply mentioned the fireworks. Yes that is snowflakes in full swing.
Unless of course it's your 7 year old kid sitting a few feet away.

For FCKS sake. Talking of snowflakes, I see you've ignored the Maty Ryan thread.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
And you think fireworks in a confined space with 2000 people around is a good thing? Sweet Jesus.

special-snowflake.png

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Where have i mentioned Knives and knuckle dusters ? I simply mentioned the fireworks. Yes that is snowflakes in full swing.

You didn't, I was making the point that there are things you can't do inside stadiums. Granted, conflating your fireworks with knives was unwarranted but they're all under the same umbrella. Like running, bombing, and petting in the shallow end.

This 'snowflake' thing is unhelpful though - it's never been 'alright' for the minority to do things that hack off the majority, it doesn't mean we can't 'take it' - it just means we don't ruddy have to anymore.

Plus, it seems you're quite happy to be acting the provocative soul, bless, so I'll leave you be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh sorry, what do you think would have happened if terrorists had got in? You clearly have no idea the level of threat to venues and stadiums at present. I do and these are just the sort of weaknesses terrorists exploit. Out of town venues and smaller venues outside London are on extremely high alert at present due to large city venues now being too well protected. You can scoff and call it generation snowflake but it's a very real, very serious threat and people being able to gain access to venues unchecked or being able to storm entrances is a big problem.

Barber said the checks are limited due to 30,000.

Every night of the week, hundreds of thousands go to mass venues - tteatres, gigs and sports events. They continue, life goes on, regardless of the one in a million shot of a Manchester Arena’ type attack. There will never be airport style checks to get into football matches. Everything would grind to a halt and the terrorists would win.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hopefully the scum that broke in and let off pyrotechnics inside the ground are put before a long, drawn-out court case and are guilty with custodial sentences.

Just imagine how terrified you'd be if you were asthmatic and caught right in the middle of all that. A stampede could have occurred. The complete idiots may well need good, expensive solicitors to get them out of this disgrace.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Every night of the week, hundreds of thousands go to mass venues - tteatres, gigs and sports events. They continue, life goes on, regardless of the one in a million shot of a Manchester Arena’ type attack. There will never be airport style checks to get into football matches. Everything would grind to a halt and the terrorists would win.

There are currently airport style checks to get into the Manchester Arena. I went the other day and there were just under 20,000 there (to see Metallica) so it can be done.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm a long way from any actual knowledge here but I'd hazard a guess the acoustics of the stadium amplified what is already a loud bang.

Don’t think so because we would have heard the Palace sing surely ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Agreed. Probably best to stop people jumping barriers and storming fire escapes under cover of smoke bombs though, eh? Which is what I was referring to. I think we could all agree on that?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Is that a small flare in your pocket or a pen knife, apparently difficult to detect therefore we just have to accept it. Wrong answer Paul.
Message is its OK to bring in flares and rookies coz we can't detect them and we can't identify the culprits. Floodgates = open

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
BHAFC also claim no home fans were injured during this, we saw quite a few from both sides covered in blood, plus a bad head injury, outside NW corner just before kick off. Bizarre hey???
Has anyone read "big brother' recently?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Absolute joke excuse there Mr Barber. I'd wager that if a flare or banger was let off in the north stand the perpetrators feet would not have touched the floor as they were frogmarched out. Surely the umpteen surveillance camera's caught something or were they all switched off ??. I suppose PC deaf ears missed it all as well. Well luckily nobody was injured or the club would be in some trouble

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm a bit tired of all this.

1) Sussex Police / Brighton will be urgently looking into what they got wrong. PC Balkam has even encouraged this process on Twitter.

2) Palace have a hooligan problem. There is it. Obviously exacerbated by last night but hardly unnoticed:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...g-anxiety-among-club-other-supporters?src=com

3) The fault of last night was simply down to known group of Palace fans who even their own club seem quite unsure how to deal with.

Almost every single game at the Amex has gone by without an issue.

Do we need extended security measures ? No

Do we require sniffer dogs at every game ? No

Will any other club bring fireworks ? Almost certainly no.

The Amex is a fantastic place to watch football. The club "broke" many of the rules. Letting fans mingle before and after the game (not making them act like tribes), making away fans feel welcome (look how other clubs have learnt), having sensible turnstiles and not the ridiculous old school cages you even see at Old Trafford.

Should be allow some idiots from South London drag us back into the old days ?

Nah....

The fault is clear. Stop blaming the club and the local Police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here