Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Bloody hell; awesome. I think I must be at just about the opposite end of the spectrum having run for 30+ years and this will only be my third. How guys like you can churn these things out without being permanently crippled is beyond me. Have you got a target time? I'd be delighted with a sub 4 but it's looking a tad unlikely as I'm only scraping 9.30 mms in 21 miles. I'll be one of the older gits so you could say hi as you lap me for the 45th time! Good luck on your other ones. Should the Preston Park one be the quickest?

I used to be a 3:30-3:45 marathon runner. Since hitting the 100th marathon & now running 52 marathons in 52 weeks, the times go out the window. Need to hold back a bit for the next marathon a few days later & also the mechanics of getting to & from events. The 29 marathons in the last 29 weeks have been in the region of 3:50-4:30.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
As his Dad, it was also pretty tough on me. I had been tracking his 200m interval times live for the whole race, on the Internet through his shoe chip. His splits were metronomic at 56/57 seconds. Until that moment, just entering the tunnel, his chip stopped moving. For a few minutes I just assumed we had lost coverage as he was going under the massive concrete structure of the MCG. But deep down I knew that he was down, just a paternal instinct thing. It took me until 75 minutes post race, a pretty frantic 75 minutes, to track him down to a paramedic tent near the finish. He could barely talk, but the paramedics told me that he could clearly recognise my voice. That was very very tough, being so far away and completely helpless. Bloody heroes, those two runners, and the paramedics. Now he’s over it, he says he must do another one, tough cookie.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I used to be a 3:30-3:45 marathon runner. Since hitting the 100th marathon & now running 52 marathons in 52 weeks, the times go out the window. Need to hold back a bit for the next marathon a few days later & also the mechanics of getting to & from events. The 29 marathons in the last 29 weeks have been in the region of 3:50-4:30.

Respect. Top drawer stuff.

My young lad, who lives in Oz, ran the Melbourne Marathon 9 day’s ago. It was his first and he targeted 3:20. He ran with the 3:20 pace runner in a small group all the way. That was, until entering into the tunnel into the MCG with 350 metres to go, he collapsed. No warning, just straight down onto the tarmac. Two unknown Aussies in the 3:20 pace group, themselves utterly exhausted, instinctively hauled him up off the ground, and dragged him Jonny Brownlee style around the final 350 metre loop. In so doing, these two guys lost out on their 3:20 target, all finishing in 3:21:40. What an amazing sacrifice by these two guys. I have spent a whole week tracking them down from 11,000 miles away through social media, as my young lad could remember very little. I’m pleased to say I have found both of them, and in 6 weeks time I am flying to Oz to thank each of them personally, for saving my son, for getting him over the line, and for putting another runner before the aspiration they had been preparing for over 6 months. My young lad is fine now, he was in the paramedic tent for 90 minutes post race, and they worked some speedy miracles on him. Restores your faith in humanity.

Delighted to hear your son is well (considering). In my experience runners are always supportive, whether you are a front runner, a mid packer or near the back. In a marathon of thousands, there is just one winner. For the other 99.9% of runners it’s the taking part! Each runner has their personal goal & unless you are looking to win the race, it’s all about the support, commaraderie & helping each of your fellow competitors to complete the event - long distance running is not easy & each of us know that when we start. Runners always help each other. After all we have all been there ..... fallen, tripped, hit the wall at some time

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Thanks for this. I guess it must be very hard to 'peak' when you are running so many events. Your 52 marathons remind me of another local guy who did this and did them all sub 4 if I recall correctly. Really impressed that someone can do this hold down a job and have some sort of family/social life. I'm virtually retired, empty nest and have found that just preparing for the one event has been a bit of a trial!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As his Dad, it was also pretty tough on me. I had been tracking his 200m interval times live for the whole race, on the Internet through his shoe chip. His splits were metronomic at 56/57 seconds. Until that moment, just entering the tunnel, his chip stopped moving. For a few minutes I just assumed we had lost coverage as he was going under the massive concrete structure of the MCG. But deep down I knew that he was down, just a paternal instinct thing. It took me until 75 minutes post race, a pretty frantic 75 minutes, to track him down to a paramedic tent near the finish. He could barely talk, but the paramedics told me that he could clearly recognise my voice. That was very very tough, being so far away and completely helpless. Bloody heroes, those two runners, and the paramedics. Now he’s over it, he says he must do another one, tough cookie.

Blimey, that's a fantastic effort by the two guys. I'd like to think that I'd do the same in that situation if I saw someone else in trouble. Well done to all concerned.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
My young lad, who lives in Oz, ran the Melbourne Marathon 9 day’s ago. It was his first and he targeted 3:20. He ran with the 3:20 pace runner in a small group all the way. That was, until entering into the tunnel into the MCG with 350 metres to go, he collapsed. No warning, just straight down onto the tarmac. Two unknown Aussies in the 3:20 pace group, themselves utterly exhausted, instinctively hauled him up off the ground, and dragged him Jonny Brownlee style around the final 350 metre loop. In so doing, these two guys lost out on their 3:20 target, all finishing in 3:21:40. What an amazing sacrifice by these two guys. I have spent a whole week tracking them down from 11,000 miles away through social media, as my young lad could remember very little. I’m pleased to say I have found both of them, and in 6 weeks time I am flying to Oz to thank each of them personally, for saving my son, for getting him over the line, and for putting another runner before the aspiration they had been preparing for over 6 months. My young lad is fine now, he was in the paramedic tent for 90 minutes post race, and they worked some speedy miracles on him. Restores your faith in humanity.

Wonderful story!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
There is a bloke called Nick Nicholson who is an Yank now living in the UK who is going for the world record of running marathons
I met him last year on the Forces March which is 5 in 5 days from Ilfracombe to Bulford
He done the 5 then was off elsewhere to run 2 in a day
He just flys around the world just doing marathons

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
I'm running the Istanbul marathon on November 12th. Anyone else on here doing it on the off chance?

This is my 2nd after Paris in 2015 and I'm hoping to get into London via charity place for my 3rd as well. I'm planning to give marathons a break after London until I'm bored with kids in my late 30s! Hoping to get a decent time as close to 3hrs as possible but realistically think I should be able to get down to around 3.15ish as I ran 3.23 in Paris.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Jesus, that looks tough. I wonder what the completion rate is.

About 75% complete it
Medics on hand all the time and the Que for the first aid tent gets bigger by the day
Can’t recommend it highly enough though
All food supplied by The RAF lads,
All energy stuff supplied and water stops and support teams with you all the way
All camping in decent sites and people cheering you on all the way round
And for a great cause as well

Tomorrow morning at Preston Park is The Velothon Marathon - where some 100 or so nutters will be running 26.2 miles around the cycle track from 9am ......... 72.5 times around the track. It will certainly be my most unusual marathon to date, Marathon 133 here I come.

If in the area in the morning please pop by to support us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here