Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jo Konta - the 'British' thing

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Does it matter to you that she has the Hungarian parents and was born and raised in Oz?

Only asking really because of the sheer level of media hysteria now she has done something at Wimbledon, and has a chance of winning the tournament and making history for Britain.

I think she switched nationality at 21, which is quite late in many ways.

Or would you be every bit as proud as if it was a player born and raised here and come through the system?

Konta has been asked about it before (very little at this tournament) and said she was happy to be representing Britain. That isn't the same as feeling British.

Obviously this isn't just about or aimed only at Konta, it's an example and there are many. Aljaz Bedene was a bit of a joke, coming from Slovenia to GB for funding and better commercial deals, and already talking about going back to play in the Olympics for Slovenia.

And Greg Rusedski was another interesting one. He was always Canadian to me, but unlike Bedene he did at least throw himself into the GB country and the culture.

Maybe it's a bit like the extra love you have for a homegrown player at your club, someone like a Solly March, as opposed to a big-money signing. You love them all, but seeing a true Brighton product doing at the highest level is that extra bit special?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm putting her as Australian.
In fact if I was Australian I'd be pretty peeved that someone who learnt to hold a racket in Australia and made all their progression as an Australian decided to switch allegiance for LTA funding.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Perversely I don't mind her being 'British' as much as the ridiculousness of players from Fiji, Tonga or wherever representing England (and Wales) at rugby. Maybe I'm channeling my inner Fred Oliver and because she looks and sounds the part she can get away with it...hmmm. #pray for Fred

Agree with Jackanada above though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll move onto this discussion once I'm done with Katie Boulter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perversely I don't mind her being 'British' as much as the ridiculousness of players from Fiji, Tonga or wherever representing England (and Wales) at rugby. Maybe I'm channeling my inner Fred Oliver and because she looks and sounds the part she can get away with it...hmmm. #pray for Fred

Agree with Jackanada above though.

I suppose the 'sounding British' can occasionally be deceiving. Virginia Wade sounded (still does) like a South African, but was actually born here to British parents, moved there for 14 years then came back.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
She & her family moved when she was 14. She transferred nationality as soon as that allowed. Fine for me, a couple of years more British than Dylan Hartley?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
She & her family moved when she was 14. She transferred nationality as soon as that allowed. Fine for me, a couple of years more British than Dylan Hartley?

I agree with this... and not forgetting she was shite and over 200 in the world only a few years ago, so all her transition as it were has been while here.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I'm putting her as Australian.
In fact if I was Australian I'd be pretty peeved that someone who learnt to hold a racket in Australia and made all their progression as an Australian decided to switch allegiance for LTA funding.

I'm putting her as a fake.......:shrug:

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
She did move to Eastbourne when she was 14, so slightly different from Rusedski and Bedene. And presumably she couldn't become a British citizen until she had lived in the country for a while. For me she's British and well done her for yesterday. I don't think I have ever watched a women's tennis match that had such consistency and do many fantastic shots. Play like that again and she will win it

Takes the shine off a little, but it's rife everywhere in sport.

It wasn't that long ago that the English Cricket team could well have been a team from The United Nations.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

I agree with this... and not forgetting she was shite and over 200 in the world only a few years ago, so all her transition as it were has been while here.

I have never heard so much crap in all my born days, don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.........:facepalm:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Maybe the British are slightly different but you don't have to go too far back in most people's history to find a mix of nationality. Konta lives in Britain, represents Britain and embraces the national values. Ok for me. My child was born in Switzerland, has a Canadian mother and German grandparents - but is just as English in the playground as everyone else.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
She did move to Eastbourne when she was 14, so slightly different from Rusedski and Bedene. And presumably she couldn't become a British citizen until she had lived in the country for a while. For me she's British and well done her for yesterday. I don't think I have ever watched a women's tennis match that had such consistency and do many fantastic shots. Play like that again and she will win it
Pretty much that for me. Born in the country, parents from the country or move to the country before 16 then fair enough. After that then no. Rusedski and Pietersen were jokes and moving for financial reasons should be stopped.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Pretty much that for me. Born in the country, parents from the country or move to the country before 16 then fair enough. After that then no. Rusedski and Pietersen were jokes and moving for financial reasons should be stopped.

And Denny Solomona, Ben Te'o and the Vunipola brothers playing Rugby for England isn't a joke?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Def not British but will cheer her on. Sports people changing nationality to suit there career is a joke and shouldnt be allowed. I would start by saying if you have represented your country at any level you cant play for another country. Cricket is the worst although may be acceptable for South Africans in the days they were banned from test cricket. Joyce of Sussex played for Ireland then England and could well now go back to playing for Ireland. Opening batsman Jennings is South African like so many that have oped to qualify for I think 2 years to play for England. Next we will see England picking Sussex play Archer which will be a joke. If I was West Indies I would pick him now
Havent got much time for top footballers but to there credit with very few exceptions stay loyal to country of birth. Travel all over world to play for very poor national sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here