Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refused entry after half-time. Standard procedure?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would have thought even if u arrive at 3:45 during half time u can still get in. Is this not true at the amex then

Had a mate who was working late turn up in the 52nd minute for the Villa game.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm annoyed you're not allowed out and back in, we need a smoking area

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

We really do, and that's from a staunch non smoker. Clearly not an option for the upper tiers and prob a good idea not to have one for the ESL as a lot of this are families, but the away fans, north and west lower should have this facility.

It's a win for supporters as they are being catered for by being given something they want.
Those who don't want it are entirely unaffected by it
Also, half time is when the concourses are most 'jammed' and this would be eased if some smokers were in a smoking area. This would benefit all.

What on earth are the arguments against?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We really do, and that's from a staunch non smoker. Clearly not an option for the upper tiers and prob a good idea not to have one for the ESL as a lot of this are families, but the away fans, north and west lower should have this facility.

It's a win for supporters as they are being catered for by being given something they want.
Also, half time is when the concourses are most 'jammed' and this would be eased if some smokers were in a smoking area. This would benefit all.

EXACTLY!
we could solve the world's problems, if we cared..

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Creaye a gated off section, so that they're not leaving the stadium, but still outside, put some kiosks out there, you would sell loads. a quick beer and fag at half time. plus those inside would be served faster as well, meaning more being served.

I seem to remember the club being asked about this before and it was a 100% no for a load of politically correct reasons.

I also remember the club being asked if they would ever consider safe standing and that was also a 100% no.........

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I pitched up after half-time for the Reading cup game due to dithering over staying in pub. Ducked my fizzog under the garage door and squeaked at the steward, who, understandably, told me to clear off. Eventually persuaded him. Got in just in time to see us go 2-0 down. Life.

It's probably a discretion thing but there's no excuse for meanness from stewards. Most of them are gold at Falmer.

They let everyone go out for a fag during the 'boro beamback. Really regretted that.

The wsu water slide was the answer to this one,a chance to have a quick gasp on a fag with the safety aspect of sitting in water,any old ciggy bits would we caught in the filter at the bottom! Straight back up the spiral stairs which if you were quick enough would give you a chance of another go during ht!:rolleyes:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fanatics in the anti-smoking brigade would argue against anything! Any smoking area would have to be at least on the other side of the road so as not to interfere with their enjoyment of the pure smell of diesel.............

The upper slopes of Mount Caburn might be acceptable to some of them, but even that wouldn't satisfy the more extremist element.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is the policy purely down to finance in that the gate stewards either go home say 15 minutes after kick off or are redeployed elsewhere in the ground, and no one wants to pay wages for a steward to let a very late fan in on the odd time that they turn up at half time.

Are you sure? I thought a steward was required to be by the gates to direct people in event of evacuation?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I reckon it depends on the steward. I do know a couple of them and to be honest they are either utter jobsworths, so old they probably can't get up off their seat, just plain odd.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For unforeseen reasons I was delayed on my journey to the game last night and didn't get to the stadium until the second half had started. All the turnstile doors were closed but a steward poked her head out and said "we have been told not to let anyone else" in. Obviously this saved me watching 40 minutes of crud but did deny me a pie.

Is it standard procedure to stop people entering after half-time. I can't see the logic behind it - it's not as if it is the opera. Plus there is no mention of this on the ticket website T&C or Ground Regulations. I've emailed the club asking for a refund as a matter of principle and their initial reply was that it is 'common place' for clubs to stop entry after half-time. It's the first time I have got to a ground so late so have no idea if this is the case or not.

Anyone experienced something similar?

:down:

Years ago I tried to see Palace play at Craven Cottage, I arrived just after halftime to find the gates shut. Then fortunately for some reason someone wanted to leave the ground, and a couple of us got in whilst he was being let out. For nothing.

Didn't help much Fulham still won the game. But at least my pocket was saved some damage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here