Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wenger departure could damage Dunk hopes

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
James Nursey, whose name appears on the Mirror piece (although that doesn't necessarily mean he wrote it) is their Midlands man, so what he knows about either Dunk or Arsenal is not immediately obvious.

You would know better than I but it's a filler isn't it anyway? There is nothing more in it than anyone could guess. Some clubs have noticed he is good? Earth shattering. Arsenal may be one of them. No s***. Transfers may be affected as Wenger is leaving. No way! We might have to improve his contract. Well duh.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Until Dunk gets an international call up and plays well I do not foresee an big bid coming in. I reckon Steve Cook of Bournemouth is very similar.

Agreed. It was a disappointment not to see Lewis at least get called up by Southgate for a friendly match this season. On one hand it’s probably better for us if he’s not rated currently for international games but on the other it will not enhance his value if a predator was to come sniffing this summer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
His positional sense is fantastic and his defensive instincts get him out of any trouble before he's really in it. He's not quick, he's not Duffy slow, but he's not someone you would describe as quick. I hope I've not foreshadowed Mo Salah running away from him on sunday.

I think you're right on all your posts on Dunk in this thread.
Last season I was saying that there were two aspects of his game that are suspect: his temperament; and his (lack of searing) pace. He's sorted the former out, and his positional sense minimises the latter, but it remains there. If we defend as high up the pitch as Roma did at Anfield, we'll see just how Dunk gets outpaced by any of their attacking three, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I think you're right on all your posts on Dunk in this thread.
Last season I was saying that there were two aspects of his game that are suspect: his temperament; and his (lack of searing) pace. He's sorted the former out, and his positional sense minimises the latter, but it remains there. If we defend as high up the pitch as Roma did at Anfield, we'll see just how Dunk gets outpaced by any of their attacking three, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

I think his overall fitness levels have improved and I can see improvement in his pace this year. With his gait he should be quicker than he is, almost he needs some kind of biomechanical reconfiguration of his running style to squeeze out an extra yard or so.

Everyone expecting us to sell have no idea of whether he’d want to go (he DID when we were in the Champ but remained loyal) or whether we’d want to sell.

My guessing is a lack of ambition over the summer from the club in recruitment may lead to him getting itchy but I don’t expect a lack of ambition to exist and if his and the club’s goals are aligned then there is no need to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If the rumours are true of Zeljko Buvac, being the new Arsenal manager, who knows what type of player he wants, or will it be the club who buys, now Wenger has departed the club.

If he moves because the club want him but he doesn't know if the manager does then he's a fool. Just look what happened to Luke Shaw.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Dunk will have a price of £40 mill, and if a club comes in with that money he'll be allowed to leave with the club's blessing.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I love NSC. OP talks about Dunks theoretical move to Arsenal being scuppered, we now have him linked to Liverpool as well.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You would know better than I but it's a filler isn't it anyway? There is nothing more in it than anyone could guess. Some clubs have noticed he is good? Earth shattering. Arsenal may be one of them. No s***. Transfers may be affected as Wenger is leaving. No way! We might have to improve his contract. Well duh.

Absolutely. Nothing to see here at all.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Why would Dunk want to go to Arsenal anyway? We are on the up. They are in freefall. Two more seasons and we will be finishing above them.

He needs to stay at a big club.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think Dunk will have a price of £40 mill, and if a club comes in with that money he'll be allowed to leave with the club's blessing.

I'd imagine that's about right. I'd be very disappointed if we sold him for any less in the current market. I'd also hope we'd lined up the two left sided centre backs we would need at that point to replace him before the deal is confirmed otherwise it would make it much harder for us to get value on our own transfers.

Either way, Dunk is our best defender and were we to lose him, it would be a big blow.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Of course. The main reason [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] posts these articles is because they are affiliate links, creating revenue for NSC.

An absolutely nothing article.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that he would improve the central defence of either Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs if he joined them but may have to wait for his chance until schooled in their ways. Hopefully we will give him his annual wage rise to avoid such speculation and he will stay with us. As I have said many times he is worth more to us than any transfer fee would bring in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think his overall fitness levels have improved and I can see improvement in his pace this year. With his gait he should be quicker than he is, almost he needs some kind of biomechanical reconfiguration of his running style to squeeze out an extra yard or so.

Everyone expecting us to sell have no idea of whether he’d want to go (he DID when we were in the Champ but remained loyal) or whether we’d want to sell.

My guessing is a lack of ambition over the summer from the club in recruitment may lead to him getting itchy but I don’t expect a lack of ambition to exist and if his and the club’s goals are aligned then there is no need to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he'll want to go if a top six club comes in for him, and that'll cost, probably upwards of £40m. I don't think we'd be able to turn down such an offer, particularly if he wants to go; nor do I think we should stand in his way if both of those materialise.
What would wind me up is if we sell to the likes of Everton or West Ham. I see very little appetite in the former spending big money on a young(ish) CB, but the latter usually have money to burn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here