[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But that's not what May implied at PQQ. She said "The decision was taken in 2009. As I seem to recall, in 2009, it was a Labour home secretary who was in position."
The obvious implication is that this was Labour's doing but, there are two things to bear in mind. First, the destruction took place in 2010 under the coalition government and it could have stopped it (in reality, this was an operational decision by civil servants and I bet that neither Labour nor Tory ministers knew about it).

Second, there was no significance about the landing cards until May changed the rules in 2014 - and then, they acquired a new importance. And that's where there should have been some ministerial input, but May didn't bother checking.

But, the important thing for May is that she emerged unscathed from PMQ. She knew damn well that Labour had nothing to do with the destruction of the landing cards but she wrong-footed Corbyn and made him look like he was in the wrong. The clarification came afterwards but people won't remember/recognise that.

It's deeply cynical behaviour, effective, but cynical.

And behaviour that Momentum would have been proud to have had the time to think up. Cos let's be fair, they have no morals whatsoever in their desire to reach power, just they need to plan a campaign well in advance. Answering factually at short notice is not their forte, bit like ERNS really.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But that's not what May implied at PQQ. She said "The decision was taken in 2009. As I seem to recall, in 2009, it was a Labour home secretary who was in position."
The obvious implication is that this was Labour's doing but, there are two things to bear in mind. First, the destruction took place in 2010 under the coalition government and it could have stopped it (in reality, this was an operational decision by civil servants and I bet that neither Labour nor Tory ministers knew about it).

Second, there was no significance about the landing cards until May changed the rules in 2014 - and then, they acquired a new importance. And that's where there should have been some ministerial input, but May didn't bother checking.

But, the important thing for May is that she emerged unscathed from PMQ. She knew damn well that Labour had nothing to do with the destruction of the landing cards but she wrong-footed Corbyn and made him look like he was in the wrong. The clarification came afterwards but people won't remember/recognise that.

It's deeply cynical behaviour, effective, but cynical.

Well she was replying to a cynical question from JC which implied that it was her responsibility as she was HS in 2010, so a cynical reply is not too unexpected really. I agree that the highlighted part above is almost certainly the reality.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]986334617295826946[/TWEET]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Decision made in 2009 under a LABOUR government.I suppose now,it will be a bit of fuss about nothing.

Missing the point entirely.

The burden of proof - which didn't exist before 2014 - was now with the individual, rather than (should it have ever been required) with the Home Office. And the civil servants within the Home Office made a decision to destroy their records. The administration at the time is irrelevant as it was an operational decision, not a political or ministerial one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well she was replying to a cynical question from JC which implied that it was her responsibility as she was HS in 2010, so a cynical reply is not too unexpected really. I agree that the highlighted part above is almost certainly the reality.

Absolutely. Whether the decision was taken in 2009 or 2010, the home sec would have known little about it, so Labour's attack was disingenuous to say the least.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The fact that she is blaming Labour for her policy. She may not have known about the decision in 2009, but she would have known the cards had been destroyed when she created her policy in 2014. Or if she didn't, as Home Secretary, she should have done.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Yes, but she was lying (as her own press office has confirmed)

"from No10: destruction of landing cards was an "operational decision" by the UK Border Agency. Ie Not a decision by a Labour Home Secretary or minister."

So it's not a decision by a Conservative Home Secretary or minister either then.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Good old Anna... one of my favourite MPs :jester:

[tweet]986563746809221120[/tweet]
[MENTION=14192]Anna[/MENTION]_Soubry
Decision to destroy #Windrush documentation was taken in 2009 by the then Home Sec Alan Johnson. A half decent leader of HM Opposition would hv checked this out. #Corbyn is totally incompetent & yet again when there are important questions to ask #Windrush reveals he’s useless.
12:15 PM - Apr 18, 2018

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good old Anna... one of my favourite MPs :jester:

[tweet]986563746809221120[/tweet]
[MENTION=14192]Anna[/MENTION]_Soubry
Decision to destroy #Windrush documentation was taken in 2009 by the then Home Sec Alan Johnson. A half decent leader of HM Opposition would hv checked this out. #Corbyn is totally incompetent & yet again when there are important questions to ask #Windrush reveals he’s useless.
12:15 PM - Apr 18, 2018

Factually wrong.

Alan Johnson didn't make the decision - it was Home Office civil servants not needing ministerial approval. Why you wish to post untruths to back up your point is anyone's guess.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
May really is desperate, half truths to try and hide her own incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here