Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which double bed for a rental property?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes boss. Got it boss.

Right then, it's either an Ikea
Sultan Hagavik (Medium) £180 SULTAN HAGAVIK Active pocket sprung mattress - 140x200 cm - IKEA
or
Sultan Hamnvik (Firm) £200 SULTAN HAMNVIK Active pocket sprung mattress - 140x200 cm - IKEA

And I need a base to go with that - I usually get divans, but Ikea mattresses are slightly different sizes to normal, so I guess I need an Ikea bed.

I've got the £200 one, I tried out the medium ones but it was too soft for me.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
2 pallets and a rectangle of sponge ....cheap, airy, and comfortable.....spring matresses - yuk!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The Divan Centre (online) have been good x 4 for me, fast & free delivery..consider zip & link which gives two singles or one King better for flexible renting

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Decide on a budget for the bed. Tell the couple what it is. Let them buy a bed, knock whatever it costs (up to your specified maximum) off their next rent cheque.

Ball in their court. No room for complaint. If they decide they need some full orthopaedic malarkey they can poney up the extra themselves.
I wouldn't want them to buy a crap bed and then move out - it then becomes my problem. I like the advice here on Ikea beds, and £180 / £200 is not bad. £105 for this base and I'm sorted: ASPELUND Bed frame with slatted bed base - 140x200 cm - IKEA
I might email them the two mattress links and ask if they're happy with either of those - I expect they will be, and therefore they don't really have room for complaint as they've agreed it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If they are getting bad backs, make it FIRM

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
i think your carzy to go pocket sprung when for the same price(ish) you can get mem foam. the one i have we have used for over 2 years now and it is as comfortable as the day we baught it, great value for money.

but i must agree with [MENTION=20366]jackanada[/MENTION] win/win imo

Valencia Faux Leather Bed from The Original Factory Shop

This. I rent out a furnished flat in London. These guys have been great -

http://www.mattressman.co.uk

Go for a mattress thats a bit above the cheapest. £120 should get you something reasonable and make sure you go for medium firm or medium then they can't complain as it's a standard good quality mattress.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I supplied it, so it's my problem. Strangely I have no idea where I got the bed from, I don't recognise it at all :shrug:

Was there a previous tenant before the current tenant moved in ? If so they might have swapped the bed over with a cheap and nasty one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was there a previous tenant before the current tenant moved in ? If so they might have swapped the bed over with a cheap and nasty one.
There was, but I'm pretty sure they didn't swap it. It doesn't even look that cheap, the mattress is just very soft, with a divan base that has springs in it (ie, more expensive than a divan without springs, but over soft and another thing to go wrong).

I've emailed them links to the Ikea mattresses so they can choose.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Straw was good enough for the baby Jesus and his Dad made everything, including Ikea.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Just remember that Ikea beds have different dimensions to every other bed in the UK. Which is Ok if you buy both bed and mattress there. My current IKEA bed has a nice exposed bit round the edge where my new mattress doesn't quite cover it!

Indeed, from memory a continental 'king' is 3 inches wider than a UK 'king'

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I'd go for part sprung, part memory foam. Had mine 8.5yrs now and it's still awesome... Groupon have an offer on one now:

image.jpg

The matress is key, the actual bed doesn't make that much difference in my opinion!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not sure if my need for NSC help could get more bizarre, but strangely this is a serious question.

A couple renting my flat are getting a bad back from their bed (it's stupidly soft & has a sprung base adding to the problem), and I need to replace it. Can anyone recommend a good value 4'6" firm bed please.

Thanks!

This is either th emost attention seeking thread I have ever read or the most boring. I have settled on the decision it is both.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is either th emost attention seeking thread I have ever read or the most boring. I have settled on the decision it is both.
Most boring, yes, most attention seeking - nah. Either way it's not worthy of having any title.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
What bed did you go for in the end? I'm on the lookout for a new divan set [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
got a very firm one (fnar), from Tesco -
about £280 if i recall. (no headboard though)

Silentnight Miracoil 3-Zone Montana Non Storage Kingsize Divan Bed

Silentnight and Miracoil get slated badly. Nice beds to begin with but rapidly decline after about 6 months

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Not somewhere I'd think of really - will check out now. I checked Amazon, and some cheap mattresses get good reviews, and then the reviewers that have had the bed for a year give poor reviews. Typical.

It's part furnished, and I supplied the bed so I guess it's my problem.

You need a nicer landlord.

Indeed there's nothing in the contract that would help them, but the bed is a bit rubbish so I feel I have to do something.

I supplied it, so it's my problem. Strangely I have no idea where I got the bed from, I don't recognise it at all :shrug:

If I were you I would change your Tennant contract. I always stipulate unless an item is beyond repair, it is the tenants responsibility or decision to replace an item. I found in the past people start taking the piss. who's to say they will like the next one you get? maybe you could take them shopping to try them out?
I wouldn't get the bed from Ikea it limits your options on mattresses. I.e. only Ikea mattresses fit Ikea beds.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here