Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suggestion: an away thread

Do you think an 'away thread' would work?

• Yes, sounds good, Do it.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Yes, but...<please state the but>

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • No, stupid idea <please state why>

Votes: 73 70.9%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There used to be a 'rule' that Palace could on post in Palace related threads, but it got very lax. I managed to upset one of our visitors by pointing this out, and calling him a troll. Nobody seems to bother now.
It seems like a good idea, but will it be moderated, or adhered to?

It would be easy to moderate and those who don't adhere to it wouldn't be here long. My impression is that most opposing fans are relatively decent sorts and when they want to engage in 'banter' they just want to be able to do so without getting a moderating slap over the wrist every time, and this would give them that. They will then remain free to contribute to all other threads.

I don't want an away end. I don't like the idea that people who take the trouble of registering with NSC (and most of them are decent) are shunted to a quiet corner of the site as soon as their colours are revealed. Why should they not be able to chip in with the large number of discussions here that have absolutely nothing to do with football at all? (Copied and pasted as per Bozza's post).

I'm not proposing an away end and those who support other teams will remain free to contribute to all other threads (instead of being shut away in an away end).

I voted bad idea. I think such a thread would need careful moderation but it's very existence would embolden some of the less socially able fans of other clubs (but particularly Palace) to be offensive and abusive; I think you'd end up with it going two ways, either an unmoderated free-for-all that is just full of abuse both ways or a thread that is the opposite of what the idea suggests, something so heavily moderated that it serves no purpose.
Maybe somewhat more robust moderating of the "away" fans when they get a bit lippy is a better way forward (I know, it's always easy to find work for other people to do - maybe you should give the mods a pay rise)

It would largely be a free for all. Those who want to participate can do so, everyone else will never need to open the thread.

Leave it as it is, it's always worked fine. Most don't take many of these wind-up-merchant opposition fans too seriously anyway.

You don't see how wound up some of our precious flowers get every time they see a Palace fan posting.

Of all the seasons, this isn't the one to segregate Palace fans.

The only suggestion I'd bring to the table would be to put all their posts in the gold thread for comedy value

They wouldn't be segregated - they could post anywhere. However, there is only thread where they could post anti-Albion 'banter'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Keeps it all in one place, good to hear the view from the other side

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Really? I know the poll ain't showing it, but seriously? Do you not get pissed off with Palace sticking their arses on our threads?

Sorry I just picked you two out of the latest. Even in a minority I still think the Palarse lot should be thrown aside.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest which team people support, there are a few knobs on this board who I think we could all do without but as far as I know they are Brighton fans. Having said that I wouldn't put them in a sub forum either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, no and thrice no. I agree with Bozza. No ghetto. Away fans are tolerated on here if they are contrite and/or amusing or if they are figures of fun. That's the way it should be. NSC is not care in the community, or 'I am bending over, now kick me'. Away end, my arse.

I'm not proposing an away end (did anyone read what I wrote?). I'm proposing...

- All fans of all clubs welcome to post anywhere, but
- Keep anti-Albion banter in one specific thread.

Voted no. Although I wouldn't sat it was a stupid idea (but there's only so many options you can have in a poll!)

There are threads on here which aren't club specific - who cares what club people support on the Brexit, Trump, or 'what are you listening to now' type threads. Maybe just, whenever someone becomes particularly abusive or aggressive about BHA, you can ban them (you probably can and do already) or you could set up another section in The Main Stuff. Whenever anybody from another club gets offensive, all their post could automatically be re-routed into that - then if any keyboard warriors were up for a virtual punch-up, they could pile in if they wanted.
Nothing to keep checking out on the Big Board for those who couldn't give a toss for childish repartee - or even less for mindless name-calling..

Exactly. Anyone can post anywhere on any thread. Just don't pollute them with club v club 'banter'. Do that in the one prescribed place.

Keep them within the NSC family rather than pushing them out to the corner flag. If they have something worthwhile to say lets welcome it, rather than ignoring.

Always with the proviso of banishment if they over step too often

I'm saying exactly that. They can post anywhere on the board. (Seriously, did anyone read what I wrote?)

If it 'aint broke.

We have healthy threads on NSC where rival posters get to have their say, within reason.
Why not just start a 'Free for all Thread' (sticky?) on TBB and keep it relatively clean.

That's exactly what I'm proposing (although probably not a sticky).

I like the status quo, like when most clubs come to the Amex, away fans are welcome in the North Stand after if they are civil.

Yep.

I'm instinctively for free speech. It's great that NSC has always been open to the perspective of people who aren't necessarily Albion supporters - after all, only a minority of the threads are actually about football!! That's what makes NSC refreshingly different from those tedious, lookalike boards of too many other clubs.

So, if people have got something interesting to contribute, let'em in! Then NSC will continue to provide its own mirror to the liberal, inclusive character of the Albion's home city.

...and I'm proposing that continues, with one small tweak.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is something I've been thinking about for a while to try and find a middle ground between what we currently have (anyone can post anywhere, within reason) and the 'away end' that a handful of people request periodically, and some other sites have.

I don't want an away end. I don't like the idea that people who take the trouble of registering with NSC (and most of them are decent) are shunted to a quiet corner of the site as soon as their colours are revealed. Why should they not be able to chip in with the large number of discussions here that have absolutely nothing to do with football at all?

So, my suggestion is an 'away thread', or anti-Albion banter thread - call it what you will. This will be a thread where opposing fans can have a pop at the Albion, and those who have an interest in engaging can have a go back. If you have no interest in such discussions, just never open the thread. Just don't do it. There will be nothing for you there.

Opposing fans who use other threads to take the piss, will:

1. Have those post(s) moved into the 'away thread'.
2. Be excluded from the thread they posted in.
3. Be warned. Multiple warnings will lead to bans, first temporary and then permanently from NSC.

Sounds an OK plan, but will be very labour intensive for the mods.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Keep NSC as it is, the "surely palace can't" thread is sort of an unofficial away end anyway. I (very infrequently) look at palaces version on the BBS and quite honestly it's the pits, name calling and insults and adds nothing of value.

Edit: oh an away thread rather than end, well as I've said we've sort of got that organically.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wonder if it will become difficult to differentiate between people expressing their opinion and anti Brighton banter. I enjoying reading what fans think of us within pre and post match threads. If those opinions were to be shunted into a 'banter' thread it would be a shame as I don't think I would bother reading it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not proposing an away end (did anyone read what I wrote?). I'm proposing...

- All fans of all clubs welcome to post anywhere, but
- Keep anti-Albion banter in one specific thread..

So Dougie etc can post on any thread but the moment they write anything 'anti albion' their post (and the whole tthread?) disappears into a separate thread?

Good luck with that!

From what I have seen some folk get upset when any Palace fan says anything at all on here. Your proposal won't help alleviate that in any way. Still a 'no' from me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I want an away end.

You're not getting one. Why should people only be able to post in a quiet corner of the site just because they support a different club? Many away fans make decent contributions to much of the non-football discussion on here - why should that be curtailed?

An away thread won't work, the Gimps will just post anywhere anyway and no mod will do anything.

They will post anywhere as they would be allowed to, as is the case now.

The difference is that when anti-Albion banter is posted where it shouldn't be, precious petals like you will be able to report it. The posts will then be moved to the appropriate thread and the poster warned.

The few regular Palace fans will be well aware of this protocol and, from my frequent interactions with them, I believe they'd happily respect it from the off.

I have no idea why there is a continued sneering disdain from you towards myself and/or the moderators but this proposal is attempting to get you to shut the **** up finally.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't think we need an "away" end. I understand why some may support this but personally I enjoy reading the views of supporters of other clubs on this forum - I think it is one of those characteristics which make NSC so readable and followable. Ok, I know that they can sometimes be obnoxious but generally I think they are a force for good and are often genuinly enlightening and help us to see oppopsition supporters in a more informed light. My fear is that an Away End would just end up being a slagging zone attracting some of the less desireable elements and in terms of content not really worth the effort involved in setting it up and maintaining it. As such it may discourage the more reason opposing fans from contributing. So it's a "no" from me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have no idea why there is a continued sneering disdain from you towards myself and/or the moderators but this proposal is attempting to get you to shut the **** up finally.

With all due respect Bozza, looking at the poll as it stands, your suggestion is pandering to the (very) vocal minority. The site is one of the best forums on the web (not just for football) and doesn't need changing. Even if you do make changes to appease them my suspicion is that they will soon find something else to whinge about (or be replaced by a new set of whingers).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With all due respect Bozza, looking at the poll as it stands, your suggestion is pandering to the (very) vocal minority. The site is one of the best forums on the web (not just for football) and doesn't need changing. Even if you do make changes to appease them my suspicion is that they will soon find something else to whinge about (or be replaced by a new set of whingers).

The responses suggest either I wasn't very clear with my proposal or it was too long so people didn't bother reading. Most of the responses suggest most believe I am suggesting an away end that all opposing fans are banished to!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its fine as it is.

The ignore option does a good job of sparing me from the attention seekers.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And an 'I'm offended' corner as well? Will have to be a big corner mind.

'Wanchors of the month' corner. Everyone gets a vote and the top 10 are banished for a month to talk amongst each other. I'm excluded btw

Oh, and maybe chuck a token Palace fan in their too if things need spicing up

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The responses suggest either I wasn't very clear with my proposal or it was too long so people didn't bother reading. Most of the responses suggest most believe I am suggesting an away end that all opposing fans are banished to!

Yes, fair point.

You're not getting one. Why should people only be able to post in a quiet corner of the site just because they support a different club? Many away fans make decent contributions to much of the non-football discussion on here - why should that be curtailed?

They will post anywhere as they would be allowed to, as is the case now.

The difference is that when anti-Albion banter is posted where it shouldn't be, precious petals like you will be able to report it. The posts will then be moved to the appropriate thread and the poster warned.

The few regular Palace fans will be well aware of this protocol and, from my frequent interactions with them, I believe they'd happily respect it from the off.

I remember you posting a poll once, a simple one too asking yes or no to an away end.

The majority voted yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here