Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To much of this kind of portrayal of men on TV

Ok, I'll bite.

I don't have a bra to burn but this is ridiculous. Dads are, by and large, the lummox that comes in from work feeling guilty and pulls silly faces / does the voices to the bedtime story to make up for it. He IS the one who starts the BBQ, gets lost driving the car and comes back injured from football. Yes, there are stay at home dads. and in increasing numbers. Yes, there are lovely cuddly bearded daddy-os who get to leave work early so they can bake cakes / rake leaves / go geocaching with little Tabetha and Timothy but they are nowhere near the majority for the simple fact that the day to day demands of actual real life make this impossible for the majority of caring fathers. And these programmes are made for the majority of tiny, tiny children, not for every SAHD with a chip on their shoulder.

Men earn more. Most men on TV are NOT portrayed like Daddy Pig. They are portrayed like Don Draper. They are Alan Sugar or Simon Cowell. They are our overwhelmingly male politicians, journalists, sportsmen, chefs and musicians. The glass ceiling still exists and it exists precisely due to child rearing. Isn't having to watch and laugh at Daddy Pig and Homer Simpson really a small price to pay?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ok, I'll bite.

I don't have a bra to burn but this is ridiculous. Dads are, by and large, the lummox that comes in from work feeling guilty and pulls silly faces / does the voices to the bedtime story to make up for it. He IS the one who starts the BBQ, gets lost driving the car and comes back injured from football. Yes, there are stay at home dads. and in increasing numbers. Yes, there are lovely cuddly bearded daddy-os who get to leave work early so they can bake cakes / rake leaves / go geocaching with little Tabetha and Timothy but they are nowhere near the majority for the simple fact that the day to day demands of actual real life make this impossible for the majority of caring fathers. And these programmes are made for the majority of tiny, tiny children, not for every SAHD with a chip on their shoulder.

Men earn more. Most men on TV are NOT portrayed like Daddy Pig. They are portrayed like Don Draper. They are Alan Sugar or Simon Cowell. They are our overwhelmingly male politicians, journalists, sportsmen, chefs and musicians. The glass ceiling still exists and it exists precisely due to child rearing. Isn't having to watch and laugh at Daddy Pig and Homer Simpson really a small price to pay?

All those people you describe in the second paragraph are not men being portrayed, their characters are not written for them. These are men that are being themselves. I think it is interesting that all the examples that you describe are real not fictitious characters.

The point I am making is that men portrayed in fiction are often shown as bumbling idiots who need a women to sort out the mess they get into. Another good example of male characters are the husband and fathers. They are so often played as the extra child that the long suffering mother has to keep in line with all the others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10692423/Why-are-men-on-TV-always-such-fools.html

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
All those people you describe in the second paragraph are not men being portrayed, their characters are not written for them. These are men that are being themselves. I think it is interesting that all the examples that you describe are real not fictitious characters.

The point I am making is that men portrayed in fiction are often shown as bumbling idiots who need a women to sort out the mess they get into. Another good example of male characters are the husband and fathers. They are so often played as the extra child that the long suffering mother has to keep in line with all the others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10692423/Why-are-men-on-TV-always-such-fools.html

Don Draper isn't a fictional character? That was the one example to offset Daddy Pig. However, the point was really that "reality" and sport dominate our TVs now and there's no bumbling about on there.Barely any positive women either. Really, women have a LOT more to complain about than men when it comes to TV. There are also plenty of positive male role models on kids' TV. Mr Bloom, Justin Fletcher, Big Nut Brown Hare just off the top of my head.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry Jason. Tend to agree with [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] on this one. Even TV adverts portray us menfolk as bumbling fools - we're either equal or not... can't have it both ways

*falls over in mock outrage at use of real name* :)

I'll give you the ads point.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Don Draper isn't a fictional character? That was the one example to offset Daddy Pig. However, the point was really that "reality" and sport dominate our TVs now and there's no bumbling about on there.Barely any positive women either. Really, women have a LOT more to complain about than men when it comes to TV. There are also plenty of positive male role models on kids' TV. Mr Bloom, Justin Fletcher, Big Nut Brown Hare just off the top of my head.

Sorry I don't know who Don Draper is. I will concede the point about reality TV due to the fact that I don't watch it, so i will have to take your word for it. And I will also concede your point about plenty of positive male role models too.

However I stand by my point that their are too many male stereotypes of TV of bumbling idiots who are just another burden on the long suffering female characters. This isn't just limited to TV shows it is also prevalent on adverts too.

I don't doubt that women have a lot more to complain about but it isn't really a competition.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry Jason. Tend to agree with [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] on this one. Even TV adverts portray us menfolk as bumbling fools - we're either equal or not... can't have it both ways

Yes. Equality is brilliant, isn't it?

disney-princesses.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here