Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Good policies TBH although changes to social care won't go down well with the blue rinse brigade. I can hear nashing of teath from DM readers all the way over in Pavilion.

Andrew Dilnot, who knows more on this issue than anyone, has slaughtered the social care plan so it's far from just the blue rinse brigade who are unhappy with it. I will wait to see what elsethe manifesto has or doesn't. From what I've heard and read so far, it appears extremely thin on new ideas.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Morning kids, I'm afraid you can forget that deposit on your first flat from the grandparents...

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-tory-policy-older-people-pay-for-social-care

Its gone

Instinctively I'd say bravo, well done on that one Theresa, hit the wealthy where it hurts! But it doesn't does it, it penalises those who may own a moderate house and have no other assets, liquid or otherwise, to dispose of - The wealthy? No problem, plenty of cash and family who can afford to look after them. Those who just got by? **** you but don't worry there will be 'products' available so that you don't have to sell your home, at a premium, this is a risky business of course. - So not only are they sh*tting on the less well off elderly, they're enabling the bankers to line their pockets. Nasty nasty nasty bstards.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here we go, a long series of quotes from the completely impartial Guardian..... all posted by the political bed wetters on here... hardly a credible group either, people who think the IRA and Union loving Red Jezza is a fit and proper authority to run the country..... laughable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Excellent contribution to the debate. What exactly is incorrect with the report from the Guardian of did you not read it because you are so entrenched?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Instinctively I'd say bravo, well done on that one Theresa, hit the wealthy where it hurts! But it doesn't does it, it penalises those who may own a moderate house and have no other assets, liquid or otherwise, to dispose of - The wealthy? No problem, plenty of cash and family who can afford to look after them. Those who just got by? **** you but don't worry there will be 'products' available so that you don't have to sell your home, at a premium, this is a risky business of course. - So not only are they sh*tting on the less well off elderly, they're enabling the bankers to line their pockets. Nasty nasty nasty bstards.

If you've a LOVELY pad in Maidenhead you'll still be right as there's a £1m threshold

But for the average person with a property worth £200k you're a good market for insurance companies

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Here we go, a long series of quotes from the completely impartial Guardian..... all posted by the political bed wetters on here... hardly a credible group either, people who think the IRA and Union loving Red Jezza is a fit and proper authority to run the country..... laughable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

And yet again nothing to say about the policies or the manifesto, just sneering, scaremongering just like the Tory MP,s.
Apart from means testing the winter fuel (but Tory means testing means if you have less than 10p) it's all hit the poor again.
After years of failure on immigration figures they are saying it again, unbelievable, is anyone really gullible enough to believe that they will do any of this after June 8th.
So far the manifesto is weak.
I know it's all a sad state of affairs but another 5 years of this nasty, lying, weak government sends shivers down my spine.
The only laughable thing is your protection of this shambles of a Government.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Conservative Policies you are going to vote for.

I am interested in what policies people are going to vote Conservative for, I looked at the Manifesto thread and didn't really find much aside from "They are not Jeremy Corbyn" (I do concede i got bored of looking so may have missed them).

So, what do they offer people that warrants you giving them your X?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am interested in what policies people are going to vote Conservative for, I looked at the Manifesto thread and didn't really find much aside from "They are not Jeremy Corbyn" (I do concede i got bored of looking so may have missed them).

The best deal for Britain (whatever that is)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Whatever way you spin it the policy to effectively tax companies more for employing non EU immigrants is a good one that will go down well with working class people. I'm surpised Labour haven't done anything similar.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Whatever way you spin it the policy to effectively tax companies more for employing non EU immigrants is a good one that will go down well with working class people. I'm surpised Labour haven't done anything similar.

It also effectively taxes and takes money out the NHS budget though. As nurse recruitment from The EU has gone down to 100 a month from the EU, from 1000 a month prior to the referendum and NHS trusts are now desperately scratching around trying to recruit from wherever they can, such as India & The Philippines, maybe Labour can see it's limitations.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

If you're wanting a list of policies probably best to wait for the manifesto to be released? (Later today)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It also effectively taxes and takes money out the NHS budget though. As nurse recruitment from The EU has gone down to 100 a month from the EU, from 1000 a month prior to the referendum and NHS trusts are now desperately scratching around trying to recruit from wherever they can, such as India & The Philippines, maybe Labour can see it's limitations.

Guess us Brits may have to wipe old peoples bad sides too, though right now no one wants to do it

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
interesting couple of stats here, there is a lot about the super rich not paying enough tax, but is that actually true? This is from last year. So the top 1% pay 27% of ALL income tax collected. and HALF of the adult population pay no income tax. What effect then on the total collected would a tax hike on that 1% have , should even a relatively small % of that 1% decide to leave the UK.

A report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies published Wednesday found that the proportion of total income tax paid by the top centile rose to 27.5 percent in the 2015-16 tax year from 24.4 percent in 2007-08. Meanwhile, the government’s policy of gradually raising the point at which people start paying income tax meant that the share of the adult population paying it fell to 56.2 percent from 65.7 percent
The shift is partly the result of long-term trends. In 1978-79, the richest 1 percent paid 11 percent of total income-tax receipts. Since then, growing inequality has meant that the larger tax burden on the richest reflects their rising incomes.
“One implication of an income-tax base that increasingly relies on a smaller group of taxpayers is that the growth of receipts may be more unpredictable and risky,” the IFS said. “As the system becomes more reliant on a smaller subset of individuals, tax revenues become more sensitive to the composition of income growth, making revenues more uncertain.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...arners-now-paying-a-quarter-of-all-income-tax

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here