Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Long

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Would be very happy with Jay Rodriguez if he is properly over his injury issues, but not fussed about Shane Long at all. As far as I can see he has never been prolific and doesnt appear to be the instinctive finisher that we probably need.
Long does a very similar role to Baldock. When he left West Brom he was missed massively. Very good player but isnt goig to be a goal machine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd take him in a heartbeat. I think given a run of games to get sharp he would look a lot better. His strike rate must suffer from the amount of substitute appearances he makes. He can play up front on his own and as a two. With Baldocks injury record I think he'd be a great signing assuming fee and wages are right. I think he has a deal until 2020. I think it would take some bid to shift him.

Baldock is injury prone, agreed.

Long is not the answer. Midtable S'ton having a clear out of players who they don't see as cutting it in their first 11, gives the clue that he won't score the vital PL goals for us.

Hopefully we are looking elsewhere for the pacey PL level striker with goals in them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd take him & Ings from Liverpool, those bemoaning his lack of goals, how many do you expect from Baldock next season?

Ings would be great, but what a risk as our main scorer, with his 2 (unlucky) devasting long term injuries.

In addition to a pacey striker, I think we'll buy/borrow a quality target man.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The striker we need is not someone who only needs one chance to score. Yes that would be nice to have someone like that but that's not whats required.

We need a runner, we need someone who closes down angles when we are defending, we need someone who can chase balls played over the top, and doesn't get frustrated when those balls don't come . Someone who knows that he wont be getting 3 or 4 chances but who is still willing to keep running till that one chance comes along but wont give up until that happens. In short someone who will be happy to run forever until it happens.

In short.Don't dismiss Sam Baldock, because he is used to not scoring lots of goals but keeps running for 90 minutes or for however long he is on the field. He will be a handful for loads of teams up in the PL. He may not be the one who gets us the goals but he could well be the one who causes teams problems.

I have watched a couple of Chris' teams in that league before and he has not has someone as good as Baldock at his disposal before. It's who he surrounds Baldock with that will be the key

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
The striker we need is not someone who only needs one chance to score. Yes that would be nice to have someone like that but that's not whats required.

We need a runner, we need someone who closes down angles when we are defending, we need someone who can chase balls played over the top, and doesn't get frustrated when those balls don't come . Someone who knows that he wont be getting 3 or 4 chances but who is still willing to keep running till that one chance comes along but wont give up until that happens. In short someone who will be happy to run forever until it happens.

In short.Don't dismiss Sam Baldock, because he is used to not scoring lots of goals but keeps running for 90 minutes or for however long he is on the field. He will be a handful for loads of teams up in the PL. He may not be the one who gets us the goals but he could well be the one who causes teams problems.

I have watched a couple of Chris' teams in that league before and he has not has someone as good as Baldock at his disposal before. It's who he surrounds Baldock with that will be the key

Exactly why I and others like the idea of signing Shane Long.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The Baldock love in!!! Baldock's biggest flaw is that he can't really hold the ball up once he gets to it. Too easily 'eased' of the ball by defenders. That and he will need to score goals next season. Personally, I think he may be in the weakest position with regard to getting replaced next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Both Long and Rodriguez are likely to be off from Saints. The latter probably more talented, but the former more reliable / consistent / proven. Either or even both could do a job.

No. Maybe two or three years ago I would have considered it, but not now. Certainly in the case of Shane Long, I think we can do a lot better.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Spot on. Baldock has always been massively under rated by a number of Brighton fans (see also Ashley Barnes).

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley fans want Dyche to bring back Rodriguez (a Clarets fan) but wages would most likely prevent this.

Same with Danny Ings - fans wnt him back but wages would be prohibitive.

A team like Bournemouth would be able to afford the wages wanted by Rodriguez and Ings.

Bournemouth willing to pay Defoe £115k a week for 3 years and John Terry £100k a week for 2 years!!! Shows what we are up against.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think you do Sam Baldock an injustice. Neither are prolific goalscorers but Baldock in my opinion has more mobility, has a better first touch and if truth be told is a better footballer all round

If that was true then surely it would have been Baldock and not Long who has been knocking around in the Premier League for many years....

Baldock is a clever player for sure, and has had his first decent goal scoring return at Championship level this season but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Perhaps its you doing Long an injustice ?..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Burnley fans want Dyche to bring back Rodriguez (a Clarets fan) but wages would most likely prevent this.

Same with Danny Ings - fans wnt him back but wages would be prohibitive.

A team like Bournemouth would be able to afford the wages wanted by Rodriguez and Ings.

'would be able to afford' doesn't come into it, in reality.

'Choose to afford' is the truth. Burnley and Bournemouth are both (relative) newcomers to exactly the same league. You have the same level of PL income, similar gate receipts (9,000 MORE seats in your case), and similar operating costs (only small difference is that Bournemouth don't own their ground so have to pay a modest rent).

If Bournemouth 'can' pay the sums asked by those players, and Burnley can't, then either Bournemouth are spending beyond their means (again) or Burnley are (wisely?) choosing not to pay the asking rate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Max Demin, Russian "Sugar Daddy" = main difference between Burnley & Bournemouth.

You're getting £170m per year to play in the PL. You can afford to pay the wages of Jay Rodriguez if you choose to. He's at Southampton, not PSG.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I am slightly perplexed that we are ''drooling'' over players who don't seem to have cut it elsewhere and that we should be looking at players who are surplus to requirements elsewhere.

We are now a PL team in our own right and we should be after players that teams DON'T want to lose, whether it be from abroad or in the UK

Completely agree with this. Absolutely hating the lazy journalism which connects any new promoted club with players in a relegated team.

They got relegated for a reason and if there is a standout player on their books - a la Pickford/Defoe - then they will have the pick of their suitors and won't be restricted to swapping one struggle for another.

Cherry picking top performers from the Championship would be a better bet than potentially throwing money away on old rope from the Prem at least the former have something to prove to earn Prem wonga rather than already be used to the gravy train.

Foreign value or young and hungry homegrown only please.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Completely agree with this. Absolutely hating the lazy journalism which connects any new promoted club with players in a relegated team.

They got relegated for a reason and if there is a standout player on their books - a la Pickford/Defoe - then they will have the pick of their suitors and won't be restricted to swapping one struggle for another.

Cherry picking top performers from the Championship would be a better bet than potentially throwing money away on old rope from the Prem at least the former have something to prove to earn Prem wonga rather than already be used to the gravy train.

Foreign value or young and hungry homegrown only please.

I totally agree with this, however cherry picking from Championship now is ridiculously expensive, so abroad seems the sensible way to go.

Throw in a couple of solid premier league players who have some experience is essential too.

Long is someone i would be considering, and be delighted to get, but if someone said you can have him for 10 million or Abraham on loan for the season then i would go with the latter.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I totally agree with this, however cherry picking from Championship now is ridiculously expensive, so abroad seems the sensible way to go.

Throw in a couple of solid premier league players who have some experirnce is essential too.

True, they can be expensive but we have the funds to do it now knowing that if it doesn't work out you will always find a Derby/Villa/Massive/Leeds to buy them back in Jan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here