Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The show from 22 October with guests Paul Brackley from Albion In The Community, and Danny Hemsley from the Brighton & Hove Albion Amputee Football Team is now up as a podcast.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This week - 29 Oct - we have John Lees AND Liz Costa in the studio.

Yikes.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
This week - 29 Oct - we have John Lees AND Liz Costa in the studio.

Yikes.

Sorry lads, it's the first time I've ever had to switch your show off! After the narrow minded and uniformed opinions of both your guests on safe standing, I couldn't listen anymore. Especially after Lees says 'if you want to stand at football, stand outside!'. What a stupid thing to say. He actually thought that safe standing ment someone getting in his way and being allowed to stand. I couldn't listen to these 2 dinosaurs any longer. Up to that point talking of old times and historical players was interesting. But I can't think of two worse people to have on the show than Costa and Lees when talking of the safe standing. They just continually said thay don't want it and didn't seem to have much idea about what it is and how it works. They don't seem to understand that the current system is unsafe and safe standing is needed. I can listen to someone's opinion if it disagrees to my own, but I couldn't listen after Lees outburst and after what seemed an ironic nimby attitude and Costa seemed more worried about what would happen to the seats and neither of them cared about the choice of fans to choose to sit or stand, safely and not in each others way. Shame you didn't have some guests on with an open mind or even someone that actually understands the issues.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sorry lads, it's the first time I've ever had to switch your show off! After the narrow minded and uniformed opinions of both your guests on safe standing, I couldn't listen anymore. Especially after Lees says 'if you want to stand at football, stand outside!'. What a stupid thing to say. He actually thought that safe standing ment someone getting in his way and being allowed to stand. I couldn't listen to these 2 dinosaurs any longer. Up to that point talking of old times and historical players was interesting. But I can't think of two worse people to have on the show than Costa and Lees when talking of the safe standing. They just continually said thay don't want it and didn't seem to have much idea about what it is and how it works. They don't seem to understand that the current system is unsafe and safe standing is needed. I can listen to someone's opinion if it disagrees to my own, but I couldn't listen after Lees outburst and after what seemed an ironic nimby attitude and Costa seemed more worried about what would happen to the seats and neither of them cared about the choice of fans to choose to sit or stand, safely and not in each others way. Shame you didn't have some guests on with an open mind or even someone that actually understands the issues.

I listened and could not believe their views. I am sorry but they seem to think they are talking 'for the fans' well they are not. They have not been elected as spokespeople and they came across like as you say 'dinosaurs'. I was very disappointed they didn't understand the issue. Why would safe standing affect anyone that wants to sit?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I listened and could not believe their views. I am sorry but they seem to think they are talking 'for the fans' well they are not. They have not been elected as spokespeople and they came across like as you say 'dinosaurs'. I was very disappointed they didn't understand the issue. Why would safe standing affect anyone that wants to sit?

I don't they've said they're talking for the fans. I've certainly never said they could speak for me - and in this instance they certainly don't - nor have they ever been elected to speak for anyone.

They're speaking for themselves. As are we all.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Shame you didn't have some guests on with an open mind or even someone that actually understands the issues.

We didn't ask them on just because they don't understand the issues. As you say, their tales of yesteryear were quite entertaining.

As and when this issue moves on, we will discuss it more. Whoever the guest of the week is will air their views, and their understanding will be a tad more open. Or they may not.

Sorry you felt the need to turn it off. :(

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We didn't ask them on just because they don't understand the issues. As you say, their tales of yesteryear were quite entertaining.

As and when this issue moves on, we will discuss it more. Whoever the guest of the week is will air their views, and their understanding will be a tad more open. Or they may not.

Didn't complete agree with them but we all have a different view. Great show as ever guys..

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't they've said they're talking for the fans. I've certainly never said they could speak for me - and in this instance they certainly don't - nor have they ever been elected to speak for anyone.

They're speaking for themselves. As are we all.

In fairness I thought you handled it excellently and moved on pretty quickly as soon as you realised that their indignation had no grounding in fact! I loved the way they got all daily mail about the whole thing. I think we now know two people who voted for Brexit!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

It wasn't because I didn't want to listen to you lads, I just had no interest in what Costa and Lees had to say after that point. Yes I'm sure your future guests will have a better understanding of SS even if they don't agree. As I said I can listen to all peoples opinions but as long as they aren't ignorant. Being in the positions that both Costa and Lees are in with their connections to the football club you'd have expected them to know the basics. I wonder if it's just a refusal from them to want to understand or be progressive. The problem is, that the debate is a current hot topic after the forum and the attention in the media, so your show quite rightly brought it up. But informed and open minded guests would have been better to talk about the issues. I suppose it was just bad timing. Great show guys, keep it up.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I certainly didn't agree with their viewpoints but it did make for err......lively listening. Thoroughly enjoyed the anecdotes though, highly entertaining. Who have thought the most controversial show of the year would have been Costa and Lees when Barber has already been on.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
It wasn't because I didn't want to listen to you lads, I just had no interest in what Costa and Lees had to say after that point. Yes I'm sure your future guests will have a better understanding of SS even if they don't agree. As I said I can listen to all peoples opinions but as long as they aren't ignorant. Being in the positions that both Costa and Lees are in with their connections to the football club you'd have expected them to know the basics. I wonder if it's just a refusal from them to want to understand or be progressive. The problem is, that the debate is a current hot topic after the forum and the attention in the media, so your show quite rightly brought it up. But informed and open minded guests would have been better to talk about the issues. I suppose it was just bad timing. Great show guys, keep it up.

To be fair, we have had Barber & members of NSK on recently discussing it....

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I was surprised the two of them clearly weren't able to grasp the basics of the argument. They really came across as a couple of idiots. I think you did your listeners a bit of a disservice by not exposing their views as the nonsense they are, but accept you have to maintain a cordial atmosphere in the studio. Keep up the good work!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a gem, if people want to stand up they can do so outside the stadium.

There is out of touch but these two reached new heights

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
John Lees is someone I tend to associate more with Cricket although he has an instantly recognisable voice in all sports. I grew up listening to him. I think Liz is an Albion legend, oft quoted incorrectly as a fans representative, but nonetheless a true fan of the club.

As regards the views on safe standing, I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I think both the guests understand it and were worried about the aesthetics of the ground. I disagree with them, but they were just opinions. And Al did challenge John Lees too. I honestly, from the comments, expected Liz to claim that she was speaking for the fans. But she doesn't.

Good to see the microphones sorted this week. Enjoyed the programme.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They didn't seriously say that did they ?

With a straight face ?

Are they 8 years old ?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Just listened to this show.. How thick can be people be not to grasp the concept of safe standing. I wish they would stop referring to them as 'The first couple of the Albion '. They are nothing to do with the club, supporters yes but that is all, Liz Costa doesn't represent the normal fan.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Albion fanbase is a broad church, and Liz and John represent one part of it. What disappointed me most of all was their inability to articulate why they thought that safe standing was a bad idea. Just saying 'I don't like it' repeatedly isn't adding to the debate (although this approach seems to work for Donald Trump).

The cost issue was mentioned in passing (possibly by Al or Ady though), and ultimately it's Uncle Tony once more dipping his hand into his pocket for an unquantifiable benefit (more 'atmosphere' is a possibility, although I can recall plenty of matche at The Goldstone when there were terraces and no atmostphere).

I'm firmly in the standing camp, as it increases choice, and as someone who usually is in the North Stand I stand anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They didn't seriously say that did they ?

With a straight face ?

Are they 8 years old ?

John Lees actually came out with that exact line on Radio Snooze a couple of weeks ago. I tune in briefly sometimes for the morning traffic and travel (its just about all I can bear), which is usually on just after the sport, and the safe standing issue was part of his bulletin report. Pringle asked Lee's his opinion on it, and he said "I don't agree with it. If people want to stand at football, then they should stand outside". So its clearly a line he's fond of.

ASTONISHING ignorance from someone who is actually employed by the BBC as a sports reporter (of sorts). I mean, standing outside, it doesn't even make any sense. Is he trying to be funny ? He clearly hasn't done the slightest bit of research on the subject. And if he has, and still considers that remark worthy of broadcast, then he's even stupider than he sounds.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It appears we've upset a few people by having them on the show. This wasn't our intention.

We knew before they came on air that they were against safe standing. The consideration that it's probably not the opinion of most of the Albion fans, by and large, shouldn't preclude them from being able to air their views. If there was/is a coherent argument against safe standing, it should be heard, and from there we can have a debate.

I understand the concerns - to a certain extent - about the aesthetics of the stadium (those safe-standing Meccano seats are pig-ugly - an issue which could be get-roundable), and the concern over sightlines (addressed by Paul Barber on the show the previous week and at the Fans' Forum), and the cost issue (which would be an issue for Tony; he would need persuading).

But personally, I’d draw the line at calling John and Liz ‘idiots’. They’re clearly not. To inisist they are idiots would be then getting into the realms of a witch-hunt, which I'd be upset if that's what I'd thought we'd started. But I certainly don't hold sway with barking at people to go outside if they want to stand. That is silly, and John - whom I have great affection for - has let himself down a bit there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here