Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much did BHA make from yesterdays game?

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
It was reported in the Argus a couple of days ago. That Brighton make 37.5 pence in the pound from the ticket price. After both the VAT & Reading get there cut.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Less 20% VAT = £166k
Less Reading's travel & accommodation costs
Less match officials fees and expenses
Less chargeable match specific stadium costs (eg stewards, turnstile operators, floodlighting etc.............)
45% of what's left to Reading and 10% to the FA prize money pool
Then there might match specific bonuses payable to the players and management team

Interesting about paying the visiting teams accommodation and transport, I never knew that, is that the case for all matches, or just FA Cup games?

I wonder how much extra revenue was generated from the electronic advertising hoardings. The adverts yesterday will have been extras for the regular advertisers, so would have to be paid for. And the FA Cup specific ads would have generated additional revenue too.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
It was reported in the Argus a couple of days ago. That Brighton make 37.5 pence in the pound from the ticket price. After both the VAT & Reading get there cut.

Can't be right.

If my maths is correct, that means that expenses + VAT = 17%. Surely VAT alone is 20%???

Ticket income = £200k less 17% expenses / VAT = £166k
BHA take 45% cut = £74k which equates to the 37.5 pence in the pound. I'm not an accountant so could be completely off track here!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 1901ers have to be taken off the attendance figure so the number actually buying a ticket could be c17k. Depending on the number of kids and OAPs attending the average price might not be £10 a ticket. The total before expenses are taken off could be more like £150k than £200k. I would suspect that with the reduced pricing , giving Reading their cut and paid up the FA we have broken even.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can't be right.

If my maths is correct, that means that expenses + VAT = 17%. Surely VAT alone is 20%???

Ticket income = £200k less 17% expenses / VAT = £166k
BHA take 45% cut = £74k which equates to the 37.5 pence in the pound. I'm not an accountant so could be completely off track here!

Surely it's more like this?
Ticket income = £200k
minus costs (stewarding, lighting etc)
minus VAT (unless Reading and the FA pay VAt on their cut)
minus 10% of whats left to the FA and minus 45% to Reading

So if the 37.5p per £1 in ticket sales is correct and we averaged £10 per ticket (estimated) then we made just £77,610 from ticket sales based on an attendance of 20,696 (before any profits from catering and merchandising, etc are added)

Last edited:

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Surely it's more like this?
Ticket income = £200k
minus costs (stewarding, lighting etc)
minus VAT (unless Reading and the FA pay VAt on their cut)
minus 10% of whats left to the FA and minus 45% to Reading

So if the 37.5p per ticket is correct then we made just £7,761 from ticket sales based on an attendance of 20,696 (before any profits from catering and merchandising are added)

It's 37.5p in the pound not per ticket!! Unless it should be per ticket.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's 37.5p in the pound not per ticket!! Unless it should be per ticket.

Sorry yes i misread it at first as per ticket so if you average it at say £10 a ticket just add a nought on the end so it's £77,610 (before catering, merchandising, advertising and prize money, etc)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Car parking costs/income fall outside the basic equation in the same way as catering and shop income & expenditure and I am reasonably sure we dont pay opponents' travel costs.
Gate money after VAT less stadium operating costs (matchday stewarding and floodlighting I believe but excluding policing and excluding permanent staff costs) is the basic calculation so maybe £100K surplus to split would be my very rough guess - something in the order of £40K apiece to the clubs. May be less after including other miscellaneous expenditure like ticket printing and postage and the like.
As others have said, cup income is a budgetary bonus but on the downside the income which has been budgetted from the Leeds game will probably be reduced a little as income overall is probably lower for a midweek game - so a little bit of swings and roundabouts.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Interesting about paying the visiting teams accommodation and transport, I never knew that, is that the case for all matches, or just FA Cup games?

I wonder how much extra revenue was generated from the electronic advertising hoardings. The adverts yesterday will have been extras for the regular advertisers, so would have to be paid for. And the FA Cup specific ads would have generated additional revenue too.

You never knew because it's boll@cks. Home clubs do not pay they away teams travel expenses!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Surely we dont pay Reading expenses? What if they decided to fly in or dtay overnight at the Grand, would we pay for that?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You never knew because it's boll@cks. Home clubs do not pay they away teams travel expenses!

In FA Cup games the home club has to pay travel expenses for the away team , it is set out in the competition rules (rule 23 - matchday expenses). These are claimed back as matchday expenses and deducted from the gross takings.

Last edited:

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
In FA Cup games the home club has to pay travel expenses for the away team , it is set out in the competition rules (rule 23 - matchday expenses). These are claimed back as matchday expenses and deducted from the gross takings.

Oops. I shall eat my humble pie then.

Although I was sitting with a club employee at the time I wrote that and he was unaware. Given his position I was pretty sure he would know. I will save him the blushes and take the wrap myself.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The 1901ers have to be taken off the attendance figure so the number actually buying a ticket could be c17k. Depending on the number of kids and OAPs attending the average price might not be £10 a ticket. The total before expenses are taken off could be more like £150k than £200k. I would suspect that with the reduced pricing , giving Reading their cut and paid up the FA we have broken even.

They still have to be taken into account when calculating gate receipts otherwise that will have a detrimental effect on the returns to the FA and the opponents.

You need to research a bit more and you might learn something and therefore avoid post crap which makes you look stupid. As per other poster, see rule 23 but also rule 22.

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/776fdc2c663a48568fc3688fa667463a.ashx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here