Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does being married in a civil partnership have the same legality as a “pinky promise” ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Has the OP fallen in love with some Tunisian looking bloke after promising the first one he saw last night would “get it”. This thread is a genuine enquiry as clearly he’s planning on popping the question.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Just meen in respect to splitting up, as most of the time there are no children involved.Im not knocking it but it doesn’t have the same consequences does it ? I mean once you’ve decided who’s boxset is who’s it’s basically done isn’t it ? Advice greatly appreciated.

Civil partnership is the same as marriage legally.

I don't think they are. I don't think they get the same tax reliefs in relation to '' IHT Legislation ''

I feel qualified to answer this one, as I have been in a Civil Partnership which was later converted to a marriage. When I see a post like the Opening one on this thread a little part of me dies inside. Is the OP trying to be funny, is he fishing, does he understand that this is another of those" I have nothing against gay people but... " things, Part of me wants to be generous and believe that this a is a genuine question from someone who truly doesn't understand what he has said and implied. So rather than say what the other part of me thinks straight off I will answer his question factually first-

A Civil Partnership is quite similar to a marriage- but not quite. It isn't just a matter of throwing a hissy fit, grabbing the Madonna and Kylie CDs and thats it. If you want to dissolve a Civil Partnership you need go through a very similar process to divorce. Its a civil matter and involves all the same things a usual divorce does, including solicitors, court dates, etc Its by no means an easy thing to do, and causes no end of heart break, resentment, and all the other stuff that goes with Divorce. Sometimes there ARE children involved, along with property, financial assets business, and shared belongings etc. Its certainly not something dome lightly or on a whim.

There is a difference between marriage and civil partnerships with regard to various legal things- pension rights, insurances, (believe it or not it affects insurance premiums)etc. Its kinda falls into the everyone is equal- some are just more equal than others bracket

Now on to my opinion of the sentiments behind the original question and comment- what a complete tw*t you are. Firstly are you saying if a straight couple are married and have no children then its just a matter of picking up what CDs you want? You are belittling a serious commitment to make a cheap joke, or point- its comments like this that fall into the casual homophobia that you hear about so much- they are gay so its not a real relationship- it doesn't really matter, its not like its really important anyway. Probably without realising it you are saying that we aren't as good as heterosexuals, or relationships don't matter as much, our lives are somehow less, and its ok because we are only gays

Don't you understand the cumulative affect this has on people? I am amazed that this keeps coming up, Its this attitude that is more concern than the outright biggots , its the casual acceptance of something, probably without realising it. Just by posing the question you propagate the idea of straight is better. If you are straight( I assume you are) please don't say this kind of thing round impressionable youngsters, it just helps spread the phobia down through the generations- homophobia is learned behaviour- don't become a teacher of it

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I feel qualified to answer this one, as I have been in a Civil Partnership which was later converted to a marriage. When I see a post like the Opening one on this thread a little part of me dies inside. Is the OP trying to be funny, is he fishing, does he understand that this is another of those" I have nothing against gay people but... " things, Part of me wants to be generous and believe that this a is a genuine question from someone who truly doesn't understand what he has said and implied. So rather than say what the other part of me thinks straight off I will answer his question factually first-

A Civil Partnership is quite similar to a marriage- but not quite. It isn't just a matter of throwing a hissy fit, grabbing the Madonna and Kylie CDs and thats it. If you want to dissolve a Civil Partnership you need go through a very similar process to divorce. Its a civil matter and involves all the same things a usual divorce does, including solicitors, court dates, etc Its by no means an easy thing to do, and causes no end of heart break, resentment, and all the other stuff that goes with Divorce. Sometimes there ARE children involved, along with property, financial assets business, and shared belongings etc. Its certainly not something dome lightly or on a whim.

There is a difference between marriage and civil partnerships with regard to various legal things- pension rights, insurances, (believe it or not it affects insurance premiums)etc. Its kinda falls into the everyone is equal- some are just more equal than others bracket

Now on to my opinion of the sentiments behind the original question and comment- what a complete tw*t you are. Firstly are you saying if a straight couple are married and have no children then its just a matter of picking up what CDs you want? You are belittling a serious commitment to make a cheap joke, or point- its comments like this that fall into the casual homophobia that you hear about so much- they are gay so its not a real relationship- it doesn't really matter, its not like its really important anyway. Probably without realising it you are saying that we aren't as good as heterosexuals, or relationships don't matter as much, our lives are somehow less, and its ok because we are only gays

Don't you understand the cumulative affect this has on people? I am amazed that this keeps coming up, Its this attitude that is more concern than the outright biggots , its the casual acceptance of something, probably without realising it. Just by posing the question you propagate the idea of straight is better. If you are straight( I assume you are) please don't say this kind of thing round impressionable youngsters, it just helps spread the phobia down through the generations- homophobia is learned behaviour- don't become a teacher of it

Not reading all that. What’s the jist ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You may be right but the line - The Inheritance Tax legislation does not define ‘spouse’ or ‘civil partner’ so the definitions come from general law. possibly suggests otherwise.

Haven't got the time to look it up at the moment; however, I think the Legislation pertaining to the ''Unused Reliefs'' actually makes reference to the fact that ''Civil Partnerships'' do not qualify for the ''Unused Reliefs''

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
How many people do you have blocked? Almost every thread I see you mention blocking someone else.

Major crybaby.

Now if he just blocked and ignored these posters, I am one of them, then fine as he would only be open to accusations of being a bit sensative.

But as he mentions the people he has blocked at every opportunity that counts as being a major primadonna, worse still as he uses the system to also insult and deride those hes blocked seems to be trying to get in a free punch or 12 and constitutes abusing the boards functions.

The irony is blocking people and not listening is a passive form of censorship and is the first step of what fascists do, could you imagine what he would be like with a mod panel?

There is enough mental illness here for a thread in its own right.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Not reading all that. What’s the jist ?

The jist, although he is too polite to say, is that you are behaving like a prick. Although reading the whole post might provide you with some insightful education.

Civil Partnership and divorces in marriage are pretty much the same process. There's your answer. Although I'm guessing you wanted some scenery around that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OP is one of the biggest fishermen on here. If you don't like trolls don't open his threads. Personally, I prefer my trolls to be of the scoutmaster with poor spelling variety. If they copy and paste all their best insults from somewhere else so much the better :kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, thats basically what I think, but the fact he wont read it which would take all of 2 minutes confirms my initial thoughts about him

If you look further up this thread you'll see my attitude to this poster. One of the great freedoms we have on NSC is the freedom to block (and hence avoid pointless engagement with) trolls, clowns, bullies and people in need of medical attention. The fact I feel inclined to mention, increasingly often, that I have blocked this or that person might, hopefully, encourage sensibe people like you to do the same, and at a stroke avoid the annoyance which may precipitate a long considered reply (which is then mockingly ignored by the nobber, in classic troll style).

All the best :thumbsup:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If you look further up this thread you'll see my attitude to this poster. One of the great freedoms we have on NSC is the freedom to block (and hence avoid pointless engagement with) trolls, clowns, bullies and people in need of medical attention. The fact I feel inclined to mention, increasingly often, that I have blocked this or that person might, hopefully, encourage sensibe people like you to do the same, and at a stroke avoid the annoyance which may precipitate a long considered reply (which is then mockingly ignored by the nobber, in classic troll style).

You miss the point a little, I feel.

I'd suggest from reading Nick's considered response to the OP, it is clear that he would rather have had the opportunity to address the snide OP, than for it to sit there polluting the board, unseen by him, thus with no recourse to respond.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
My take on this is you went for your 24 hour drinking binge for the England game. Your long suffering girlfriend or boyfriend took advantage of the situation and changed the locks on the door and as you arrived home this morning your now wondering if your going to have to buy a new copy of sex and the city box set or not

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You miss the point a little, I feel.

I'd suggest from reading Nick's considered response to the OP, it is clear that he would rather have had the opportunity to address the snide OP, than for it to sit there polluting the board, unseen by him, thus with no recourse to respond.

I understand that. I used to do similar. But in the end, it is a waste of time. Someone who shits on seat on a train is not interested in a lecture on hygeine. There are some people on NSC who really ought to be banned in my view, because all they want to do is stir shit, and bully. Some sail too close to the wind (after drinking) and do get banned (for a bit, or for ever). There is no point in engaging with such people. I personally don't like to see anyone feeling they have to 'explain themself', especially when a serial nobber floats yet another load of old bollocks. So I think I shall continue to enourage others to block the nobbers, and will do it even more regularly and visibly. And, if Nick does block the OP, he can do what I do when the OP posts - read some of the replies, then resurrect one of the nobber's past threads, about how he'd like to punch someone hard in the face, as a meme. If I were Nick, I'd go onto the nobber's new threads and ask 'has anyone punched the old homophobe hard in the face, yet?'. The rest of us (who take an interest) would soon get what he was going on about. And the nobber can post hs silly responses frustrated in the knowledge that his victim won't be reading the reply. It works for me.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

I used to have loads of people on block but it got to the point where entire pages of threads were sequences of "you can't see this post". Made for dull reading.

I've unblocked all but one now who, unsurprisingly enough, has now made his entrance in this thread :lolol:

I know what you mean though; it's so tedious trying to discuss things with certain people. Sometimes I'd rather sit across from Zaha and have him explain to me in minute detail exactly why he goes to ground all the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here