Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] 30 years ago today

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Which means that 30 years ago today I first poked Mrs Chopper.
I spent the night in her sisters flat while they were on holiday.
We slept through the storm (understandable) but when we woke up I looked out the window to see all the carnage outside.
I remember thinking blimey I know I'm good but not that good.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I remember our game after the storm against PNE, Hove Park was flattened.
I remember seeing upside down planes at Shoreham Airport, as we passed through on the train.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I remember letting the dog out for a pee in the early hours and having an empty milk bottle fly past my face - that's rather strange I thought. Got the dog back in and went back to bed. Awoke to find something resembling the end of the world.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Walked back from central Brighton to Fiveways having gone clubbing that night. When the door opened to Smugglers around 2.20 to let us out a metal bin went flying up Ship Street at head height. Walked back via the Old Steine and stopped at St Peters to see a couple of trees come down, by which time myself and my mate started to brick it and decided to head home up Ditchling Road. Remember walking up the centre of the road with the wind howling and the trees bending at alarming levels. Got back in around 3.20 just as the storm began to peak. Caught myself in the mirror and noticed my hair had literally been blown to one side by the wind. Fell asleep pissed to the sound of the wind rattling the windows.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I worked for the Co-Op in Hailsham and left Woodingdean at around 7.00am to go to Portland road to pick up some paperwork for my branch. One of our truck drivers told me we wouldn't be getting a delivery that day.
When I asked why, he replied" When I get overtaken by a boat on the seafront, it's too dangerous to drive !"
I set off for work and got there after loads of diversions and blocked roads 3 hrs later!

It was weird driving down Elm Grove and seeing all the trees flattened at the Level.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Which means that 30 years ago today I first poked Mrs Chopper.
I spent the night in her sisters flat while they were on holiday.
We slept through the storm (understandable) but when we woke up I looked out the window to see all the carnage outside.
I remember thinking blimey I know I'm good but not that good.

That is a beautiful poem. Not quite Shelley - but a very moving poem nonetheless. :cry:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Had only started school a few weeks before... it was closed for a bit.

_44180481_storm2.jpg

Can only imagine the casualties if it had happened in the daytime.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I remember our game after the storm against PNE, Hove Park was flattened.
I remember seeing upside down planes at Shoreham Airport, as we passed through on the train.

I lived in Poynter Rd at the time. My son was 1.5 years old and I was on a money making scheme called the "pilot scheme" - essentially a pyramid operation putting in £200 as ground crew then potentially getting back £1600 when reaching Pilot status. I drove over Ditchling Beacon around 8pm nd essentially came down northside on a river of mud water and leaves - nothing was going to stop me. I got to the venue an isolated farmhouse in mid-Sussex having had a few liveners in the five bells in Chailey. When reached destination - no sat-nav guys in those days we sat in an eeery candle lit room. Paid over the cash (never to be seen again) and proceeded to drive back to Hove. I recall phoning wife from phone box only to be told roof coming off. This was around 1am and I recall driving through a wooded part of the road - b road - and seeing the trees bending towards the centre of the road. Got home 2ish and sat up listening to weather reports etc. Jamie was sitting in high chair i lounge and misuss petrified. Luckily
no major damage but got a new wall out of it. 6ish I got back in car to drive to my dad's in the Drive only to knock on his window and a very sleepy face greeted me. Blatchington Rd was devasted as was Hove Park and as I spent many hours with Jamie at the swings etc and Hove Rugby Club it was very sad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
FFS Inside Out south is about the storm (on now, sky 964). Whereas inside out south east (BBC 1 in east sussex) has some bollocks.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Earlier on today a woman rang the BBC and said there was a hurricane on its way......

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I worked for the Co-Op in Hailsham and left Woodingdean at around 7.00am to go to Portland road to pick up some paperwork for my branch. One of our truck drivers told me we wouldn't be getting a delivery that day.
When I asked why, he replied" When I get overtaken by a boat on the seafront, it's too dangerous to drive !"
I set off for work and got there after loads of diversions and blocked roads 3 hrs later!

It was weird driving down Elm Grove and seeing all the trees flattened at the Level.

You could have picked me up on the way. I was one of the very few admin staff in the Portland Road warehouse that day....

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I notice that Fish is still in denial despite his exposure during the olympics and spouting his lies on BBC again that he said anything wrong with "hurricane like winds" (if not recorded on the met wind machine in London it doesnt count apparently much like "white chrismases for snow fall" and the soil was very wet. Not really a hurrincane no.

Anywhoo thought it was a bit windy that night and the window to my bedroom was bending. I was more annoyed at being woken up, come morning tried to drive up Bear road to work and a tree across the road, was ok thats strange only to go via the level whereby I started to comprehend what had happened during the night. I worked at Amex. Not long after I got in i wil always remember my boss calling in to say let him know when he is needed in the office the cheeky git. The lunch time fiasco when walking down St James street trying to gamble on where to buy something just as the power got turned on blowing everything that was plugged in and seeing bulbs blow in unison, also resulted in the gas explosion in the kitchen at Amex House! We finally got sent home when the poor darling computer was in danger of flooding from the roof damage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here