Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenwyne Jones to Bournemouth

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Another 40,000 shoestrings a week, for plucky little Bournemouth to find.

Yep, they are the pluckiest of plucky minnows. Heroically soaring up the league using players picked up for peanuts, each on a pittance and virtually playing for sheer love of the game.

Good old AFCPLB. It's like Harry Redknapp never left them.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
**** me some people are bitter. Bournemouth are sensible. Buy players as their contracts run down, bring in good loans at the death so they don't bottle it. Pathetic jealousy. We should be doing things more like them instead of our pissing away wages on shit like best and ledesma

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But apparently they are managing within an FFP budget, accoding to some sympathisers on here.

"These are not the droids you're looking for", whispered the ACFPB chairman, as the Football League accountant swept into the building.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really can't blame them for going the extra mile to try and stay in the autos. This gamble could be worth at least £100 million. Good luck to them although I find it very hard to accept that Bournemouth will make the Premier League long before we do as I feel that we are set up to be waiting quite a few years yet in our "everything is difficult" way :down:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bournemouth have a slightly later accounting reference date than most clubs, 31 July. This means that they will have complied with FFP last season easily, as they netted £6.25 million from the sale of Lallana from Southampton to Liverpool. They paid £3 million for Callum Wilson, but also sold Grabban for the same amount, so they will easily be within the limits.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth have a slightly later accounting reference date than most clubs, 31 July. This means that they will have complied with FFP last season easily, as they netted £6.25 million from the sale of Lallana from Southampton to Liverpool. They paid £3 million for Callum Wilson, but also sold Grabban for the same amount, so they will easily be within the limits.

Amazing that they can also cover Championship wages on gates of 10k. Makes you wonder at our situation when our gates are nearly three times theirs and we are constantly being told we can't compete with the top clubs financially. Bournemouth must have worked a miracle, just like Burnley last year.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Amazing that they can also cover Championship wages on gates of 10k. Makes you wonder at our situation when our gates are nearly three times theirs and we are constantly being told we can't compete with the top clubs.

Their gates in isolation are irrelevant. I very much doubt they are carrying the huge overheads that come with something like the Amex and the small army of suits.

That said, they are clearly chucking 'unearned' money at their push and why not ... may not get another chance

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Amazing that they can also cover Championship wages on gates of 10k.

I'd imagine they can't, it's a gamble and looking a pretty good one at the moment.

Also, let's say Jones is on 40k a week, Bournmouth's outlay is only 200-300k for the loan. To put that into context we've paid Kemy Agustein around £1.5m for two years of attending to his twitter account and the occasional pitiful performance on a football pitch.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It is rather laughable that they can afford £40k a week, it would be highly amusing if they failed to get promoted and it all came crashing down.

#AnyoneButBournemouth

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It won't matter if they get into the gold mine! If they don't , it's probable they will get away with it as most teams seem to.

I think they are looking at QPR and seeing that there will be little, if any repercussions, and that the 'risks' of breaking FFP are far outweighed by the possible riches of reaching the 'promised land'

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think they are looking at QPR and seeing that there will be little, if any repercussions, and that the 'risks' of breaking FFP are far outweighed by the possible riches of reaching the 'promised land'

QPR have had a number of behind closed door meetings with the Football League in relation to the fine that would be payable should they be relegated. The fine is about £50 million, which is sizeable. The QPR finance director left a few months ago, (think he has gone to West Ham) and the Chief Exec also quit recently.

Tony Fernandes is convinced that he can weasel his way out of paying the fine, which would be a tragedy for two reasons (a) the money goes to charity, and (b) it would serve him right.

As always, the lawyers are making a fortune out of this. Expect to see some sort of compromise deal and QPR paying up about £30 million is the latest information I have to hand, but Fernandes is still digging his heels in, and it could drag on for years.

In theory the FL could use their teeth and not allow QPR to play in their competition, but they are afraid of being sued by Fernandes and the Mittals, who between them are worth about £16 billion, and can afford a very expensive legal team.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
It is rather laughable that they can afford £40k a week, it would be highly amusing if they failed to get promoted and it all came crashing down.

#AnyoneButBournemouth

to be fair, the size of their ground, there's not a lot to come crashing down......seriously, I am of opinion that the locals are not ready for what is about to happen, all come far too quickly, with such a low capacity, bigger prem clubs will have travelling support far in excess of their ticket allocation. Re-name the 'Goldsands' Stadium the 'Head In Sands' Stadium....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
to be fair, the size of their ground, there's not a lot to come crashing down......seriously, I am of opinion that the locals are not ready for what is about to happen, all come far too quickly, with such a low capacity, bigger prem clubs will have travelling support far in excess of their ticket allocation. Re-name the 'Goldsands' Stadium the 'Head In Sands' Stadium....

About the ground. What would they have to do if anything to make it compatible with Premiership regulations? I know Brentford would have to move out of Griffin Park.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is incredible to think that such a mediocre footballer such as Kenwynne Jones can command a salary of £160,000 a month. That is nearly £2million a year for a journeyman forward who has been a serviceable but hardly earth shattering player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here