Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if you had a cheap holiday. in Tunisia today would you go?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I have been a few years ago, one big dust bowl by the sea. Left the hotel once on the second day, horrible experience in town dirty, fecking, horrible men there all of em. Wouldn't go if you paid me, especially not with children.

While it is statistically unlikely you will be attacked, anywhere now in the Arab World is riskier than it used to be -one must weigh up the chances and make a decision. As to Tunisia - we had "the runs" for days on end and the service was dire, usually the locals wanted a tip for everything. Driving in Tunis was the worst I have ever encountered, though I did like Carthage, and that posh part of Tunis, plus a very picturesque village high up overlooking the Med. The hotel was poor and the beach area was grubby -not surprising that the locals all invaded the hotel pool every afternoon. Got a substantial refund off the tour operator, which lessened the blow -would not recommend Tunisia to anyone, even Gus!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rather topical thread in our family. My brother has a cheap Tunisia holiday booked for Easter, the family all really need and deserve it after a tough year with some work issues. Of course you're going to have a long think about it especially with family and children, I know I would, and the timing isn't great. They'll be very reluctant not to go, and I suspect they still will.

Also agree with Voroshilov, Tunisia can be a package holiday that isn't a package holiday in the experience it offers. One time I went with my wife the weather was shite so we did a lot of driving to the sights and cities, El Djem is one of the best things I have seen anywhere in the world. You felt like you were in Gladiator.

Lord B asked if people still went to London when the IRA bomb threat was at its peak, I know anecdotally a lot of people DIDN'T go to London, or went a lot less, when that was at its height.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In fairness if it does kick off whilst she's there I feel sorry for the poor *******s on the receiving end as Mrs Pevenseagull is a fearsome lady when she has a bee In her bonnet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I went in the 80's, probably changed a bit, but similar thoughts as you.

Me too. Same time, same thoughts - not been back since though so not really a fair opinion now
[MENTION=587]Pevenseagull[/MENTION] - she'll be fine I'm sure. No safer time to travel there than now ironically.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just realised why I lost 4% on my Thomas Cook shares yesterday despite the interest from Chinese company firm Fosun.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Me too. Same time, same thoughts - not been back since though so not really a fair opinion now
[MENTION=587]Pevenseagull[/MENTION] - she'll be fine I'm sure. No safer time to travel there than now ironically.

I've not been to any of those Arab countries since, put me right off. Give me the Caribbean or a Greek island anyday. I found the begging and hassling and the blokes leering at the women, plus the filth and stomach churning food, put me off. Still it might have changed, even so nicer places and people elsewhere.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Had a good time in Tunisia when I went, would have no qualms going back - in fact, we were thinking about it for a family holiday this year. Nice place,friendly people and seeing the sun come up over the Sahara has been one of my great experiences.

I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing Cheb Khaled play a gig in an open-air arena, even though I appeared to be the only white bloke among 2000 Tunisians, I never felt threatened - incidents like the one yesterday could happen anywhere and shouldn't be taken as a reflection of Tunisia as a whole
I suppose incidents like the one yesterday could happen anywhere, but where would you say they are more likely to happen, greece,tunisia or egypt ?

Dec 29, 2011
I've not been to any of those Arab countries since, put me right off. Give me the Caribbean or a Greek island anyday. I found the begging and hassling and the blokes leering at the women, plus the filth and stomach churning food, put me off. Still it might have changed, even so nicer places and people elsewhere.

Went recently, it hasn't changed. Many, many better places to visit in Europe alone, and then further afield (Asia, Latin America etc) if you're feeling adventurous. I would give North Africa a wide berth if you want an enjoyable time.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
ive been to egypt and the people were nice enough.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have been a few years ago, one big dust bowl by the sea. Left the hotel once on the second day, horrible experience in town dirty, fecking, horrible men there all of em. Wouldn't go if you paid me, especially not with children.

Exactly this. Nearly throttled some guy in a market for his behaviour towards my 15 year old daughter. Horrible lot.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

That's cheered me up a bit, thanks

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I didn't really think twice about going to Bali soon after it got bombed, or getting on the Tube the week after 7/7. However, at the moment I would be very cautious about going to any country which borders Libya or Syria.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would go. The day we start fearing the scum that do this, they have won.

That's an interesting call. For many it's just a holiday destination, somewhere hot, so why would you opt to go there and have a small risk of an incident compared with Malta, the Canaries, Majorca where there's zero chance?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's not terrorist incident that'd stop me it's that it's a dirt hole populated by rapists serving shit food and leering at women. Rotten place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here