Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When did ‘under floodlights’ become a selling point ?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes indeed!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rld-champions-honved-molineux-hungary-wembley

We didn't have a tele back then - had to read all about it in the paper next day!
Yes all those years ago we were able to read about it in the paper the next day...........and yet, amazingly, the good old Daily Mail was unable to produce a match report next day for the recent Westham / BHA match because it has a "print deadline for its Saturday edition of 8.30pm on Friday evening"!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes all those years ago we were able to read about it in the paper the next day...........and yet, amazingly, the good old Daily Mail was unable to produce a match report next day for the recent Westham / BHA match because it has a "print deadline for its Saturday edition of 8.30pm on Friday evening"!
Next day? - you could get a pretty reasonable report of the Albion's match by about 6 or 6.30 on the Saturday evening in the lovely pink footy Argus!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Next day? - you could get a pretty reasonable report of the Albion's match by about 6 or 6.30 on the Saturday evening in the lovely pink footy Argus!

I'll remind the Mail of that too! I'm still awaiting their explanation of why, having missed their Saturday edition, there was no match report in their Sunday or Monday editions. I think they need to come clean and admit they didn't send a reporter to the match.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'll remind the Mail of that too! I'm still awaiting their explanation of why, having missed their Saturday edition, there was no match report in their Sunday or Monday editions. I think they need to come clean and admit they didn't send a reporter to the match.

Be careful. You're not supposed to be a Daily Mail reader round here.............

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Never seen it done before at the Albion. Anybody bought tickets due to having lights shining on the pitch ? If so, what other things impress you ?

Back in the day there was tremendous local excitement when the new “drenchlighting” floodlights were installed at the Goldstone.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Thank you so much for your reply as it is nice to remember that a few others have recollection of some amnzing things then which are completely taken for granted 'now' My parents were fortunate to have a 12" black and white TV around the time of the Coronation so managed to see some of those early games on the ONE /B] TV channel which existed :lolol:

I have saved that Gruniad article for posterity so thank you again !

PS - A football match does seem to be so much more colourful and amazing than a three o'clock kick off on an early December/January fixture !

Another one here. I remember some games in B/W where you coiuld only identify the difference in teams by the tops of their socks! (Stockings)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Back in the day there was tremendous local excitement when the new “drenchlighting” floodlights were installed at the Goldstone.

Just checked, and "back in the day" was in fact 10th April 1961 when the new Goldstone floodlighting/drenchlighting systemn was inaugurated for a friendly match against the world famous Boldklubben Frem of Copenhagen in front of a curious crowd of 7,541. The Albion won 3-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here