Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car parking and stewarding.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not always. Recently they seem to have gone for filling up CP1 first before letting people into CP2. This is okay when the back exit out of CP1 is open but when this is shut you have a couple of hundred cars all trying to squeeze out of one exit after the match. When you have made the effort to get there early it is somewhat galling to find you can be some of the last people to leave.

OK. I tend to arrive later and therefore expect to end up in CP1 and to be honest don't find it any longer a walk than CP2. Just hope any influx from BF doesn't screw up a perfectly reasonable parking situation.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Of course, living in Hove you have bus and rail options to your doorstep. Did you know that there are large numbers of Albion fans from outside of Brighton & Hove who are not well served by public transport? Many areas of East and West Sussex are not on a direct rail line to Brighton or have public transport that will get them anywhere near the city / stadium. Many fans drive from outside of the County. Of course, if you want the Amex to be half empty then let's ban anyone from driving to the stadium.

Did you know that there are coaches you can book on to from all over the county? Did you know there are railway stations all over Britain and most of then have car parks? Do you know there are some pretty efficient park and rides on match days? Do you know there are plenty of parking spaces in the streets around Hove station on weekends? Did you know you can park in Brighton and there are loads of public buses that go past the ground?

At most football car parks you're going to wait 30-45 minutes before you're in free flowing traffic (although the Uni is very efficient on that score for those that use it). On the night of the parking meltdown, I was back at my car on the park and ride after 20 minutes and in free flowing traffic almost immediately.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not always. Recently they seem to have gone for filling up CP1 first before letting people into CP2. This is okay when the back exit out of CP1 is open but when this is shut you have a couple of hundred cars all trying to squeeze out of one exit after the match. When you have made the effort to get there early it is somewhat galling to find you can be some of the last people to leave.

The top exit was blocked off for the first season on request of the Uni, unbelievably creating chaos and jams on their own site. Every game this season it has been open & easy away onto A27.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
OK. I tend to arrive later and therefore expect to end up in CP1 and to be honest don't find it any longer a walk than CP2. Just hope any influx from BF doesn't screw up a perfectly reasonable parking situation.

The take up of Uni 'season tickets' is at the lowest since we moved in the spare capacity may be allowing them to move some from BF to 3 or 4 being reserved for them with those who now manage to fill those early being shunted further away to 2 & 1

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Did you know that there are coaches you can book on to from all over the county? Did you know there are railway stations all over Britain and most of then have car parks? Do you know there are some pretty efficient park and rides on match days? Do you know there are plenty of parking spaces in the streets around Hove station on weekends? Did you know you can park in Brighton and there are loads of public buses that go past the ground?

Well said. Also the trains have improved every season. This season not only are the trains longer but they are more frequent.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Maybe it's just me (as I tend to use the P&R) but what possible reason could there be for anyone choosing the BF car park over the University car parks

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I haven't read any of this thread, but can someone just confirm that the blame has been shifted on to cyclists at some point?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So what is the general consensus on these new rules and Bennetts field staying closed till potential 22:40 on a night game ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its all part of the sinister plan to fill up the new hotel right next door to it.

Possible although the offer of a room for the night and inclusive parking may tempt some.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe it's just me (as I tend to use the P&R) but what possible reason could there be for anyone choosing the BF car park over the University car parks

I never understand that either. The only reason I suppose is for people who physically can't manage the walk. My Mum is in her late 70s with knee trouble and gets across from the uni fine though, so I can't imagine there are too many who genuinely fall into that category.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just followed this thread through. Just like to add my name (and our group) to the list of fans that have given up on evening games due to the car parking fiascos. Missing evening games means that the 1901 and/or season ticket costs work out too high and we wont be renewing. Seems a bit daft and unnecessary to be put in this situation really.

(Catering doesnt help the mood either!)

Shit fans you are.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So what is the general consensus on these new rules and Bennetts field staying closed till potential 22:40 on a night game ?

I moved from Bennets Field to the Uni car park, but when I read the programme yesterday I really did feel it was a step too far. If they sorted out the stewarding Bennets Field post match, that would go some way to addressing the issue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's incredible that's it's taken two and a half seasons to work that one out.

Us users of the Uni car parks have known this since day 1. The problems occur when the stewards decide to piss everybody off and deny access to the nearest car park to the early arrivals. Their usual response has been that they are acting under instructions from the club or their managers. Monday's cock up was a bit of a blessing because Barber got swamped with a huge number of complaints and only then was something done. Prior to that we've had the club's 'transport manager' proving to us all that he shouldn't be in the job because of his inability to resolve matters.

Let's hope things improve from now on.

To address a comment earlier in the thread about people using the park and ride when they have driven in from out of the county-many of us used to do that at Withdean but it meant getting home after midnight. That was with 6000 crowds and a shorter distance on the bus. At the Amex, if I had to rely on P&R to attend games, I would not renew my season tickets. The P&R is great for locals and those living fairly nearby and if I lived in Brighton, Lewes, Worthing, etc., I'd use it. Similarly, if I lived where it was easy to get home via train then that would be my first choice of transport. Some of us live where a car is our only option to get to The Amex.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

At most football car parks you're going to wait 30-45 minutes before you're in free flowing traffic (although the Uni is very efficient on that score for those that use it). On the night of the parking meltdown, I was back at my car on the park and ride after 20 minutes and in free flowing traffic almost immediately.

Which stand are you in? What P&R?

You must be in an aisle seat, immediately next to the vomitary or you leave early because from my seat in D section of the East Stand it is impossible for me to get out of the stadium in less than 10 minutes. How you manage to get to your car in 20 I don't know how you do it. Are you one of those annoying people leaving their seats with 3 minutes to go then stopping on the aisle to watch the final minutes?

I would like to challenge you to leave a seat in the centre of the East Stand after the final whistle and see you get to Mill Road P&R in 20 minutes. It is impossible.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Which stand are you in? What P&R?

You must be in an aisle seat, immediately next to the vomitary or you leave early because from my seat in D section of the East Stand it is impossible for me to get out of the stadium in less than 10 minutes. How you manage to get to your car in 20 I don't know how you do it. Are you one of those annoying people leaving their seats with 3 minutes to go then stopping on the aisle to watch the final minutes?

I would like to challenge you to leave a seat in the centre of the East Stand after the final whistle and see you get to Mill Road P&R in 20 minutes. It is impossible.

WSU middle of a row. Left as soon as the final whistle went, walked at a normal pace and was parked at Mithras House. Usually get the train but will probably go P and R for evening games in future.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just followed this thread through. Just like to add my name (and our group) to the list of fans that have given up on evening games due to the car parking fiascos. Missing evening games means that the 1901 and/or season ticket costs work out too high and we wont be renewing. Seems a bit daft and unnecessary to be put in this situation really.

(Catering doesnt help the mood either!)

Most stadium car parks across country suffer like this, we are not alone. As you say seems a bit daft and unnecessary you putting yourself in this situation. How about choosing another way to get to the ground on an evening.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well said. Also the trains have improved every season. This season not only are the trains longer but they are more frequent.

You are proving yourself to be an ill informed individual. For midweek games, for many people, it is impossible to get home using trains. Impossible, not awkward. Train connections simply do not exist after matches to many places where our support comes from. As for the bus and coach services you seem to be championing, they are good if you happen to live on their route-for many it means additional time to get home once they've been dropped off.

Not all of our support lives in areas where it takes little effort or time to get to games. You'd do well to remember that before offering travel advice.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Maybe taking a simplistic view? I haven't been to many away grounds with 20,000 plus crowds where getting away from the area by car isn't a complete pain. Is the Amex really that much worse? I remember Reading away two seasons ago on Boxing Day. Took well over an hour to get anywhere near the slip road onto the M4.

I've only ever used P & R once for a midweek game as I usually use the train. However, that one time, I never arrived back at the racehill until 10.35, so that was the first and last time I would use it. I've no real experience of the Bennetts Field/P & R ongoing exit saga, but as a general consensus, are the measures announced by the statement likely to be effective or are they little more and a sticking plaster over a severed artery?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here